Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

About two and a half years ago I was in new/used car market and I was looking into getting a used 05 Oddy/Sienna. At that time the gas prices were way up there and I just couldnt see myself driving a minivan and hence ended up buying brand new Honda Fit Sport. Its an amazing car and my wife loves it. WHich works for me as I love to my 04 Acura TSX which drives and feels like a brand new one (including little rattles from the sun/moon roof :)).

So why I'm here? Well my 04 TSX is now getting close to 6yr anniversary and I'm soon going to need to replace my tires and brakes (still on factory installed) plus I've read it can potentially give problems with AC which can prove costly. Hence I'm thinking of replacing it with if I must say a "mini-van". Ideally I'd love to buy the new swagger wagon (checkout youtube for all the commercials) if I had the budget to go for XLE or Limited (better yet the SE which isnt available yet) but I just cant see myself spending that kind of money on a mini-van and I ideally do want most of the available creature comforts. Hence I'm compelled to look at used market. The 07 XLE or Limited make perfect sense except they dont have seating for 8 which is a bummer (not that I have 8 ppl in my family but its nice to have that option when friends relatives come over). I do like the styling of 08 Ody better than 07 sienna but I'm afraid of all the tranny and related issues . I think VCM is available EX-L and above so does it mean EX would be a safer bet? or do EX and EXL tranny are equally reliable or should I say unreliable? Would you guys recommend EX or EX-L from reliability perspective? Yes I could look at Sienna LE but it doesnt have automatic HVAC like EX does and 8-sitter are hard to find. One more thing... currently both my rides are bit rough being sporty cars (Fit is also bumpy due to its short wheelbase but an absolute fun to drive) and I dont regret it but if I'm getting a mini-van I'd like something quite and smooth for long trips. With that said hows 08 oddy with road/wind noise and over cement pavements/ bridge joints etc? A friend of mine told me Pilot is quieter than Oddy, is that true?

Sorry for the long post to ask such basic questions and thanks in advance for all the help.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Go test drive the vehicles...

Create a criteria list with what's important to you, put a simple rating system in IE. 5 good to 1 Awful. Drop in some potential issues to note EG. Tranny, noise etc...

Make 2 copies, one for you, one for your wife.

Then just go and test drive each vehicle. Have your self drive without your wife and they your wife without you. Tally up your scores, divid by 2 and you have somewhat of a apples to apples comparison.

I'm sure all vehicles will have issues some type of issue. At the end of the day, the decision is yours.

·
Registered
854 Posts
My wife has an '05 Pilot so I've had plenty of opportunity to compare it with the Odyssey. Not being a van, the Pilot is quieter.

The second generation Odyssey had transmission woes (Honda goodwilled a free replacement in my '99 in late '01) but I'm not familiar with similar issues in the third generation.

I just faced the EX/EX-L decision and went with the latter despite the possibility of VCM-related issues. An EX, of course, cannot have such ills.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tri-C said:
Not being a van, the Pilot is quieter.
Can you elaborate on this, do you mean vans are generally noisier hence Ody is noisier than Pilot or despite of being an SUV/Crossover Pilot is quiet (but still noisier than Ody)?

·
Registered
250 Posts
usnj01 said:
So why I'm here? Well my 04 TSX is now getting close to 6yr anniversary and I'm soon going to need to replace my tires and brakes (still on factory installed) plus I've read it can potentially give problems with AC which can prove costly.
I sure don't understand your reasoning of trying to getting a new van/SUV/whatever.

with any cars/van/trucks, there are potential issue with AC or any other problems...just because you read it somewhere does not mean you will have the same problems. You 04 TSX has not given you any issues, then most likely it won't. If it does, that means it has to do with age of the car.

Having said that, if you are still in the market for Ody (I am bias), any trim will work good as long as it meets your needs. Haven't heard tranny issue with 3rd generation...even with 2nd gen Ody, which my in laws drive, they haven't had any tranny issue at all.

VCM or not, doesn't really matter. As other poster suggested, list out things that are important to you and wife, and start from there. Don't look into all the potential problems out there...if it was such a problem for all of us, then we won't be driving our vans.

Good luck.

p.s. I do miss my 95 Civic EX...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes all cars will have issues but some have more than others. I'm bit concerned because of all the issues reported here and autobeef related to VCM and tranny /torque converter (may be not complete failure) ect even with 3rd gen. Such things cant be revealed in the test drive but they do come from experienced owners like y'all. Maybe my fear is baseless if all of you are pretty happy with the reliability of your ody... either ways, just trying to make an informed decision.

·
Registered
854 Posts
usnj01 said:
Can you elaborate on this, do you mean vans are generally noisier hence Ody is noisier than Pilot or despite of being an SUV/Crossover Pilot is quiet (but still noisier than Ody)?
Nature of the beast - it's hard to suppress noise in vans.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My '06 Oddy was not quite. I had hard time to talk to people in the 3rd row.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts