Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While presently owning 2 vehicles both 18 and 19 years old I am shopping for a new one or a low mileage one owner. Since I keep my vehicles forever reliability and safety is what I am after. I would consider another Ody depending on cost. If I was looking to spend between 40 and 50K what would be my best choice. There is just the wife and I for the most part and she will be driving this vehicle daily. I will continue with the 2002 Ody until she won't run anymore. I want a vehicle that is good on the hwy and city streets. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Both the newer Honda odyssey and pilot are having some reliability problems. Even consumer reports has dropped there recommendation for them. I would consider something from Toyota, Subaru or even from Mazda if you ware looking for something larger. Honda's smaller vehicles are still highly rated.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive looked a bit and am considering an Acura. Any negative or positive comments on these vehicles?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
For Acura the MDX is very long in the tooth which may not be an issue for you, but based on both here and the MDX board I would avoid the ZF9 trans. The RDX, if it's big enough for you is getting rave reviews off it's recent overhaul.

·
Registered
13,535 Posts
My wife just bought a CPO 2016 RDX. It has the same drivetrain as the 2014-2017 Odysseys. (so it needs a Muzzler device) Goes like a bat outta hell. A CRV was the size and function she needed, but we looked at the RDX because we wanted a Honda with sound deadening. The incredible audio system is just icing. My favorite feature of that car is what they call rear cross traffic warning. In reverse, besides a rear camera (with three selectable views) it senses if anything is coming, including a pedestrian. They are expensive, you can get a EX-L Ody for what they a costing. They come in Base, Tech, and Advance, with AWD available in all trims. We went in the middle because my wife had NAV in her last Honda and wanted that again.
The current RDX, like the current CRV, has issues with gas leaking into the crankcase. So much that the oil level can rise as much as a quart. Too bad, because it has Apple Car Play and Android Audio and gets better fuel mileage. (and came in a green my wife really liked) However, like you, we tend to keep vehicle beyond reason, so this new version with "issues" was off the table. My 02 Ody is no longer a candidate for long trips. Thus I talked my wife into a pleasurable vehicle for vacations. Now she wants me to get a newer Ody for vacations...
Because you are in Canada, you are probably looking at the AWD version. The fanboys like the system in the original RDX and the latest one. The 2014-2018 RDX has a system that does not split power evenly between the front & back like the older & newer, but apparently is still adequate. We just have front wheel drive, because we are in California and don't ski.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do want AWD, and I dont a vehicle that shuts down at red lights, Can the dealer correct this before taking delivery? Every vehicle I research seems to have more issues than I want. I went on an RDX forum and seems like there's lots of issues with the 2019RDX.

·
Registered
13,535 Posts
The 2014-2018 RDX does not shut down at red lights. The 2019 is the first year of the redesign. It goes back to a turbo 4 cylinder. I'm not sure what you want a dealer to correct.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I drove a 2019 CRV EX and a Rav4 and found the CRV build quality to be much better. The dealer said the gas leaking into the crankcase has been solved but I am not so sure. The Toyota dealer did nothing but run down the turbo system Honda is using I'm sure in an attempt to sway me away from Honda. The reviews I read still show the CRV highly rated but I hear in this forum they are not that reliable. I plan on driving the Forester and Acura next. I was asking can the Acura dealer disable the shutting down at stop lights on the RDX?

·
Registered
13,535 Posts
Re: Acura RDX. Perhaps the current 2019 one does that. Our 2016 that we just bought last spring does not. My
wife's last Honda did that and it was quite easy to do that yourself. One just turned off an ECO mode switch or drove it in S or sport mode. I always drove it like that to keep the A/C going. I doubt an Acura dealer can disable any fuel saving features. While you are at the Acura dealer, see if they have a pre-owned RDX from 2016-2018. I bet you will like that car. We were only looking at used, mostly because of the direct injection issues in the new CRV. What I found was that a used CRV with leather & Navigation cost as much as an RDX. This was the first used car my wife had bought since college. She is very happy with it. You Canadians get more content and fewer trim levels.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts