Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Newb Ody lover here;)

535 8
New acquisition that I've always loved and wanted (#dadlife)

2001 with 156k garaged and Honda dealer maintained for $4500

Just slapped the Michelin Defenders on her. Drives like butter!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Looks like my 2001 LX. (yours is better interior). 229,000 miles. Purchased Michelin Defenders at Costco. (when they have their sale). Of all the tires I gone thru, the Michelin Defenders are the best. (ride super quite).
Great engine. 4th tranny. :mad: , Do a tranny drain and fill every other oil change, (tranny cooler, I did not do), inline magnifine filter, to make tranny last longer. :)

·
Registered
771 Posts
Great engine. 4th tranny. , Do a tranny drain and fill every other oil change, (tranny cooler, I did not do), inline magnifine filter, to make tranny last longer. :)
This tranny was seriously undersized for the size of the engine and the weight of the vehicle.
I think the best long-term tranny “preservative” is the ATF cooler. Regular fluid changes (I “overdo” this with a single D&F at every oil change) and the inline filter do keep the fluid clean, but the Tranny and the ATF can still sustain damage with a single overheating event.
@odyfamily did thermocouple temperature monitoring on his tranny years ago and found unbelievably high temperatures. There are charts showing how each 10degC ATF temperature increase exponentially HALVES fluid life.

Reactions: 0dyfamily

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
I really miss my Starlight Silver 2001 EX (not leather). 😌 Although "only" a 4-speed, the gear ratios were perfect for hopping around town, and it had a 24mm front sway bar for really tight, fighter-like cornering (compared to the 22mm OEM bar in my wife's current 2002 EX). 😎👍

Got a 2003 EX-L over 15 years ago, sold the 2001 EX, and wished I had not. In terms of road handling and using it for what I use it for (work van with tools, and tow vehicle) the 2003 EX-L was not an upward move. I've since sold that 2003 EX-L and am now using the wife's 2002 EX as the workin' and towin' vehicle.

We sold our 2001 EX to a neighbor's elderly brother, and every year, year after after year he'd come back to visit his brother for Thanksgiving, driving that enduring 2001 EX. He was disabled and could not lower himself into a sedan; the Odyssey was a perfect fit for him in terms of entering a vehicle to go drive it.

Besides Starlight Silver, my other fave color is Taffeta White. :love:

Great find!

OF

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies and info!

My work van (Ford e150 ) was stolen last month And the day after I sent the keys in the title to the insurance it was recovered in Seattle with a group of scumbags living in it. Being it was the theft and then had biohazards☣ I was not able to buy it back. So I pursued and searched everyday until it popped up on the auto insurance auction circuit. I got a broker and hope i win it back today. That said, i found a nice 02 with 145k I bid on as well! I feel like this vans too nice to use for any real work but i think this one may be too nice as well. Doh!😆
Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive side marker light

Car Vehicle Automotive side-view mirror Sky Cloud

Automotive parking light Automotive side-view mirror Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Odyfamily- I'm very interested in that 24 mm sway bar kit could you provide a link by chance? I see a lot of options. Obviously I have to replace the sway bar bushings as well correct? I do not have any photos but I did notice a small 6-in approximately sized radiator next to the area but the intake air box was- would that possibly be the stock trans cooler?(someone put a cold air intake on it which has togo- it howls too obnoxiously for my old man taste)

I ordered the inline power steering and trans filters already and started saving for a trans rebuild in the future.:(

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
The 2001 comes with a 24mm bar and proper bushings. To fit the 24mm to a 2002-2004, you only need a 1999-2001 front bar and bushings. They interchange perfectly into the later Gen 2 vans.

That's the easy part.

The hard part: lowering the subframe enough to make this happen. You have to disconnect a LOT of things to get the clearance. I have a 24mm bar sitting in my garage, and tried to remove the 22mm bar from my 2002. Just too much work. I may try again next summer.

OF

Reactions: WiiMaster
1 - 9 of 9 Posts