Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am a newbie here. I generally consider myself a good negotiator but I may have "negotiated" myself into a bunch of "extras" that I may not need on my new 2012 EX-L w/NAV. Don't laugh. Long story short, instead of refusing any dealer "extra add-ons" proposed by the finance manager outright when I was signing the papers like I probably should have done, I tried to negotiate a deal with him on these things that I have very little knowledge about (sure, they sounded good and I figured at $2,300, they only represent a 6% "add-on" to the OTD price of the car):

For $2,300, I got:

- Honda Care 8-yr/100K
- 36-mo free oil change (some sort of "maintenance program")
- Lojack car security system with early warning
- PermaPlate Appearance Protection (which I will need to go back to the dealership to have applied by a "professional")

Did I make a big $2,300 mistake here? I do plan to drive the car for 7-10 years at least (I am the type who buys a car and drives it to the ground but I keep my cars well-maintained).

Thanks in advance for any comments and for any insights on how any of these things I've bought may/may not actually help me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Actually we just bought Ody so we got a similar add-on, our was used with 80K KM. It was there shuttle vehicle.

-Honda Care <--Smart!
36<--- It would have to be a pretty good deal if they offered that. $450 value in Canada
Lojack <-- I guess it depends if you are at piece of mind with this, the pre installed secuirty is all we need
-PermaPlate Appearance Protection <-- Now I'm a detailer that works with the latest and greatest polymers of paint protection systems and I can guess I think what it is. Is there a guarantee? I guarantee my clients paint protection for 2.5 years or they get a re application. I charge $200.

All in all, I think you did great!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I just want to comment on the LoJack, which IF you have a car that tend to get stolen a lot, its a great investment. Its about $499 from a dealer. I just don't see many or ANY Odyssey's getting stolen these days.

P.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Ah... what's another ~$2300 when you just spent $35K+

Seriously though, just say no to the crap they push afterwards. Honda Care is a nice one, but I'm pretty sure it can be had for under $2K these days.

When I leased my 2012 Subaru recently, the finance manager was trying to sell me $600-800 oil change/ basic maint. packages. Yeah RIGHT!

Joel

·
Registered
247 Posts
Different people value these add-ons differently. Me, I place very little value on the dealer-suggested add-ons. I call the dealer add-ons: "Additional Dealer Profit" or ADP. They push them so hard because the dealer's return on investment is quite high - said another way, they make significant profits on these add-ons.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Hamza 7,

The PermaPlate has a 7 year guarantee and includes both the interior (dash, leather seats, etc.) and the exterior (paint I suppose).

Not sure if I need it though or how the interior would look with coating sprayed or applied onto the nice leather. Any ideas?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dont worry about it! Enjoy the van!

BTW - $2300 is about the price my dealer offered for the 8yr/120k Honda care. I said no and paid $1270 from Hyannis Honda, so figure a $1000 for the Lojak, paint protection and oil changes? Maybe a little high, but not so badly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dont worry about it! Enjoy the van!

BTW - $2300 is about the price my dealer offered for the 8yr/120k Honda care. I said no and paid $1270 from Hyannis Honda, so figure a $1000 for the Lojak, paint protection and oil changes? Maybe a little high, but not so badly.
Same here... Declined my dealer's offer. They did not even offer the 8 yr/120K plan. Got it from Hyannis though!

·
Registered
181 Posts
the 36 months maintenance is only for oil changes and tire rotations. I believe they roughly are done at 7500 for the oil changes and every 15K for the tire rotation. So you are looking at 4x $30 for oil changes, and maybe another 2x $30 for the tire rotations. $180-$200 total. Honda Care would have been about $1200 for 8/100/0.

The Paint protection is probably full of restrictions. Lojak, honestly no clue, but if they are going to steal a minivan?

Most (if not all of it) is 'refundable' depending on the state you live.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts