Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sold my Diesel Excursion and need to buy some reliable transportation (Excursion was NOT reliable).
Really don't want a car payment so I've got about 5200 to spend on a mini van.

The Honda Odyssey looks great for the money but I want to know what potential issues to look for.
Looks like lots of people are talking about transmission issues.

Any way to tell if the tranny is going out? Will carfax detail a replacement/repair?
If the Ody has 120+ miles has it probably already had the tranny repaired

Any other potentially costly things I need to keep an eye on?

I'm a decent back yard mechanic but I have a lot better things to do than work on my car, and I really don't want to do transmission work.

Thanks in advcance

Steve

·
Registered
305 Posts
Avoid the 1999-2004 Odysey. The transmissions don't last. Motor mounts go bad too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hate to say it, because I love my Odyssey, but you really should buy a Toyota Sienna if you are very worried about reliability. That said, I had a 2002 Ford Windstar that was extremely reliable. I guess its a crap shoot no matter what. But, 99-04 Honda trannies fail early and often, and are expensive to fix.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Looks like lots of people are talking about transmission issues.

Any way to tell if the tranny is going out? Will carfax detail a replacement/repair?
If the Ody has 120+ miles has it probably already had the tranny repaired

Any other potentially costly things I need to keep an eye on?

Steve
My Ody has 133K and still original tranny, so just because it has 120k doesn't mean it was replaced. ANY car over 120K is not guarenteed to be reliable, INCLUDING Toyota.
Carfax is good for telling if there were REPORTED accidents and where the car was bought and sold, but that's about it.
Personally, for $5200, I think you're better off with the Dodge Caravan with 75K miles. (and yes I have owned a Caravan)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts