Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hey all, I just picked up an 07 last night so I decided to jump on here to get all the ins and outs of this Gen. My 1st gen Pilot got smashed and this is what I ended up in. Hopefully they're great vehicles! I had an 01 with trans issues, so I really hope they fixed those issues by time 07 came around.. This is a 1 owner, 204k miles, stack of service records. Trans fluid seemed just below the low mark so I will need to decide whether to do the 3x drain and fill or just add some fluid and think about it. Only other issue is the RES screen doesn't work.

Well, the folks on the Piloteers forum were great, so I don't expect any different here!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Have you muzzled vcm yet ? Yes do a drain and fill immediately just dont add fluid . Have you tried to close the res screen eject dvd and re insert DVD then open res screen? Any info on timing belt if its been done yet if not buy asin kit from rockauto. If doin the belt yourself buy the lisle crank bolt socket its worth its weight in gold and will get that bolt out in 1 sec . Otherwise welcome. Here is a pic of mine also the problems of the 2nd gen trans issues have been fixed just make sure to do drain and fills and you will be ok. Let me know if that helps res screen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you muzzled vcm yet ? Yes do a drain and fill immediately just dont add fluid . Have you tried to close the res screen eject dvd and re insert DVD then open res screen? Any info on timing belt if its been done yet if not buy asin kit from rockauto. If doin the belt yourself buy the lisle crank bolt socket its worth its weight in gold and will get that bolt out in 1 sec . Otherwise welcome. Here is a pic of mine also the problems of the 2nd gen trans issues have been fixed I believe your trans might have a filter here is a video of another very helpful member changing his mr.rangerzr1. View attachment 158146

That looks awesome! Not Muzzled, I didnt know this van would have the cylinder cutout (whatever the correct term is). That sucks, I'll have to research it. I will do a drain and fill today. I'll have to make sure Valvoline MaxLife is fine to use first. Timing Belt has 44k on it. I don't believe they used the AISIN kit. Ill be doing that in 20k miles or whatever. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Is yours a exl or touring if it is then it has vcm another way to tell is pop the hood does it have a i-vtech if so buy this vcm tuner 2

This vcm muzzler requires no adjustment in different climates like summer to winter install it and forget it i have it on mine and hasent let eco come back on in over 10k miles. Some other vcm muzzlers people will recommend requires you to swap out diods for different climates which is imo not the best .to be nice about it .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is yours a exl or touring if it is then it has vcm another way to tell is pop the hood does it have a i-vtech if so buy this.

This vcm muzzler requires no adjustment in different climates like summer to winter install it and forget it i have it on mine and hasent let eco come back on in over 10k miles. Some other vcm muzzlers people will recommend requires you to swap out diods for different climates which is imo not the best .to be nice about it .
Will order this now! I read a little about it through the Pilot forum. Thanks! Mine definitely has this

·
Registered
847 Posts
Let me know if that helps res screen otherwise I have access to alldata and can send you screen shots of troubleshoot flow chart . Imo I only use oem transmission fluid if not oem the van spits it back at me lol but seriously only use oem transmission fluid honda dw-1. the way i change my transmission fluid is to use the funnel from a turkey baister and a large funel i remove the dip stick and drain from drain plug obviously. Then I combine the two funnels smaller at bottom I fill through the dip stick tube 1qt at a time . I never use the fill plug its a pain to get to and get off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me know if that helps res screen otherwise I have access to alldata and can send you screen shots of troubleshoot flow chart . Imo I only use oem transmission fluid if not oem the van spits it back at me lol but seriously only use oem transmission fluid honda dw-1. the way i change my transmission fluid is to use the funnel from a turkey baister and a large funel i remove the dip stick and drain from drain plug obviously. Then I combine the two funnels smaller at bottom I fill through the dip stick tube 1qt at a time . I never use the fill plug its a pain to get to and get off.
I'm pretty sure I followed that video right. Fuse is good. Darnit. I will use DW-1. Thanks for the fill tips! Whats the deal with the ECO mode, it somehow causes oil consumption?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
If you have an EX-L or Touring model you have the VCM engine and should muzzle it ASAP.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Eco mode cuts 3 cyls out to conserve fuel its total b.s. imo just a way for honda to get to epa recommend fuel ratings. It damages piston rings engine mounts tons of other stuff . get that vcm tuner2 asap like I said before alot of other will recommendother vcm muzzlers but vcmtuner2 is the only one that you install and forget about it and you never have to change out diods ..

·
Registered
847 Posts
Did you try to eject dvd close res screen power off rear ent power on rear ent insert dvd and open res screen And see if its working ?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Did you get a pre purchase inspection before the purchase? If not, get it now. Did you go on eBay and get a Carfax report?

That said, if it has oil and coolant, and you've got the service history, why not drive it for a month and see what it actually needs. The only thing that is vital would be a timing belt, but you can still drive for a couple of weeks to see what else it needs.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
'07 is the sweet spot IMO. First year for the heavier transmission, though it had been in the Pilot and MDX a year prior and they have proven to be very durable with reasonable care. VCM-1 is far less problematic that VCM-II. I'm at 230K and I've never muzzled mine and have zero issues, though IMO keeping the engine clean plays a big part in that. I've been on a full synthetic oil every 5K routine since I bought it in 2013 with 113K. I run Valvoline Maxlife trans fluid, but every once in a while someone here reports their transmission didn't like it and they went back to DW1. They came from the factory with Z1 and Maxlife was far superior to that. As for filling the trans fluid I have never filled through the dipstick. The fill bolt on top of the case isn't bad if you have a 1/2" extension long enough to get there. 3/8 just has too much flex, especially if you have to put two together to get long enough. Then it's just a long funnel and easy fill.

Good luck with your purchase! My original goal was 250K miles, but she was purring so nice yet at 200K I figure 300K was reasonable and did the TB at 220K. No rust despite living in the mid west, paint is shiny, and the interior still in great shape. No reason not to keep on driving.

Reactions: kaimanson

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just pulled the fill and drain plugs on the trans. This thing needs a 3x drain and fill for sure. Its always a little nerve-racking doing this on such a high mileage vehicle. I bought my Pilot at 229k and the 3x drain and fill worked great with MaxLife.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
154 Posts
I just pulled the fill and drain plugs on the trans. This thing needs a 3x drain and fill for sure. Its always a little nerve-racking doing this on such a high mileage vehicle. I bought my Pilot at 229k and the 3x drain and fill worked great with MaxLife.
Mechanically, this van is very robust. Just change oil and ATF regularly it's indestructible. I own mine since brand new. Zero problem with VCM. @pkrface experience matches mine.

Most problems I have is electrical accessories like interior light bulbs and the main cruise push button, and a leaky PS pump, 2 cheap o rings solved the problem. I have to replace the tailgate shocks, one within warranty period, the other at 90K.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Just to clarify, if I had a 2008+ I would disable the VCM in a heartbeat. VCM-II is far more problematic.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did you try to eject dvd close res screen power off rear ent power on rear ent insert dvd and open res screen And see if its working ?
No dice. Is the little screen right behind the remote part of the DVD player to? Its not getting power, nor the screen. I believe the actual player that the DVD goes in is fine

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
553 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good advice given already.

You'll be very happy to know that the 07 transmission is very durable. Honda learned from their mistakes of 99-04 (not going to include 05-06 because I think they're just fine) and put a Ridgeline transmission in the Ody. As long as you do regular fluid changes I'd expect it to last a good long time.

Reactions: Magegner05
1 - 20 of 42 Posts