Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have been driving Accord wagons for years and thinking about getting a 1st gen Odyssey.

Haven't found much info about model differences here, like- do all 1st gen have Vtec engines?

What are the gotcha's when buying a used 95-98 ody? Are the 98 trannys as bad as the ones in the accords?

My wagon does not have enough spring shock in the back. Are the heavier rear shock/spring combos for the van/

Sorry, for lot's of questions. I want to be informed before I buy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2.3l vtec came in the 1st gen ody in 97 and 98 only. 2.2l non vtec was in the 95, and 96 models.

as far as trans, mine is a 98 with 220k on it and she shifts as smooth as butter. (knock on wood) just serviced it and the fluid coming out didn't look all that great but so far no issues. good luck with the potential purchase. i love mine so far.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Actually, the non-vtec 2.2 liter was on the '95-'97 Odys. Only the '98 Ody got the 2.3 with vtec.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Another Newbie question...I HAVE A 1998LX with 252..Next week was having the brakes worked on to cut into the line for a rear diverter? Shop seems to know what they are doing, Honda delaer wouldn't touch it. Was wondering what a 1998 with 98K miles should go for. Found one for$6500 out the door?
Does driving in high altitudes or Florida born effect a cars performace, maintenence, upbringing? The dealer in Wisconsin says they service one with 600K on it. Any comments appreciated

·
Registered
947 Posts
Was wondering what a 1998 with 98K miles should go for. Found one for$6500 out the door?
I wouldn't pay anywhere near that much for a 1st gen. That is way too high for a 13+ year old vehicle IMHO. I would also bet that this particular '98 with 98K miles on it hasn't even had the timing belt replaced which will add $300-$600 to the price.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Thanks for the response. Any thoughts on an Odyssey that was brought up in the high altitudes?
I am unaware of any longterm effects due to altitude. You could google to make sure but I don't think that would would have any kind of lasting effects on an automobile's engine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That beast is hottest Odyssey I have ever seen. Fixing the brakes on my 98 but wondering if it smart to buy a backup. This one is from Colorado and private party asking 4999 or best offer. Mine look likes it been through abit, but you do get attched to these buggers. Don't know how to do an out of state purchase....logistics. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts