Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to lease a new car and have never done it before.

1. Must the dealer give me the lease rate and residual value if I ask for it?
2. The disposition fee if I do not buy the car can I negotiate that or would they remove that all together if I ask (If not is that paid up front or when returning the car?

Anything else I should look out for or know before I go into the dealer to talk about the car?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
1. Yes. Usually a part of the deal paper although interest factor may not be. Easy enough to back into this though.

2. Usually paid at the end, depends on the bank if they'll negotiate.

Keep in mind leasing is by far the easiest way for a dealer to squeeze more money from the deal. Non only do the lease kickbacks tend to be higher (as are the rates) but it's pretty easy to monkey with the numbers and confuse someone not used to looking at these contracts.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Be prepared for no actual answers to your questions, but numerous replies telling you why leasing is a big mistake. :D That is the way 99% of the leasing questions are answered around here.

Here is what I know:

1) Not sure if they have to give you the lease rate, I would think so, but I’m not sure. The residual value has to be stated in the leasing documents….or at least all of the lease documents I have ever seen.
2) Anything is negotiable. Most places (like Honda) use boilerplate lease templates, so they may or may not be willing to negotiate things such as a disposition fee. The disposition fee, like an acquisition fee, is another way for the leasing company to make the payments look attractive, but kill you with fees and penalties.

Things to watch out for? Excess mileage charges, acquisition fees, disposition fees, charges for wear and tear & early termination fees are just a few of the things I can think of off the top of my head.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts