Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

This is my first post and new to the forum. Im a backyard mechanic. I own an Accord, BMW 325i and 4Runner.

I've found this wonderful forum and looking to be a contributor here. I enjoy fixing my own vehicles and doing writeups of the proceedures of items I fix . I don't like taking my cars to mechanics.

As such, Im looking for a section on buying an Odyssey. Im sure this has been covered many times, but I cant seem to find much discussion area on this. Can you help me? I've been looking for two hours now.

I know the Odyssey has had it's problem with transmission - the worst problem to have.

Any advise what year to purchase to avoid the transmission problem? Is there a writeup on tranny to avoid? I can fix most anything else.

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
Starting in 2007, the Odyssey shares the 4 shaft tranny from the Pilot and Ridgeline. Purportedly, this has been more reliable than the 3 shaft design from previous years.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Chiody

Looks like I will start looking at this model year 2007 and I will start my research on this tranny. Thanks for getting me started. If anyone has more advise, please please share your thoughts. I really want to buy the right van off the start.

I'm looking forward to contributing to this forum once I have my Odyssey...thanks all.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
What I've seen...the '07+ seems to have more common TC issues. Not sure why because if anything the '07+ is only very slightly different than the '05-'06. And for that matter the '05-'06 isn't much different than the previous gen. The earlier model previous gens had a ton of problems but by 2004 they were mostly fixed. I personally would have no problem buying any '05+ as far as the transmission is concerned.

Most of the problems I've had with my '05 seem to still be on-going issues with even the 2010 models. Brakes and power-steering are a week point. I've had no problems with the TC or transmission. Can't really complain though...we've spent $150 on repairs since the warranty expired at 150k miles (80k currently). I think we need another power steering pump and I'll have to pay for this one. Not a biggie though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Skinny2

This is information I need to hear.

If you lived in LA, I could help you with the power steering pump. Lots of tools and with three weeks vacation, tons of extra time. Thanks for your advise. Hope more can chime in.

My target van so far will be 2005 EX-L. Im going to stay away from touring. It appears the 2007 is a bit too expensive used.

Many thanks

·
Registered
755 Posts
Another advantage for having an 05 is that all the seats are real leather(if I remember it correctly). Sorry for going off the topic haha

ive had a tc issue which started around 120k miles, but I don't see a lot of 05s with tc issues with low mileage. And all the odys are known for easily breaking engine mounts, which are damn pretty expensive.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Richysh for contributing your opinion.

The all leather is important for me. Thanks for your entry.

As for the engine mounts. Those are fairly easy for me to replace, at least for the Accord. Sounds like I will need to pay attention to the mounts when purchasing the van.

How did you resolve your torque converter issue? This is the TC you mention? How much was it to fix?

Thank you for the heads up Richysh.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts