Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 465 Posts

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am glad I did not listen to the owners manual for the recommended Spark Plug Change Interval of 100K miles.

2001 Honda Odyssey with 65K miles -Spark Plugs Tips and Tricks :) :) :)
Highway Fuel consumption deteriorating the last few months, with new Bosch Spark Plugs, my Fuel Consumption is excellent as Original from Day one 5 years ago!

1. Run the engine for 2 minutes from COLD in the morning, it is easier to remove spark plugs this way.
2. 6mm Allen wrench to remove the ignition coil; apply Anti-seize when re-installing 6mm hex BOLT.
3. Remove the Plastic Cover to get to the FRONT 3 Spark Plugs. No Plastic Cover for the REAR 3 Spark Plugs.
4. Disconnect the “Connector to ignition coil” for easy removal of coil.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Spark Plug Part III

5. From factory, no anti-seize was used on Stock NGK Spark Plugs, so it is a bit hard to remove but you should be able to remove it. Apply anti-seize such as Permatex ANTI-SEIZE on New Spark Plugs THREADS ONLY (Be careful NOT to apply Anti-seize to the electrode) to make next removal easier:
http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/b_lubricants/a_lubricants/Permatex_Anti-Seize_Lubricant_a.htm

6. When installing new Spark Plugs, do one by one to avoid mixup, ALWAYS thread the Spark Plugs by hand first to avoid cross-threading it. If you have never done this before, get someone to show you how to avoid cross-threading. IT IS A VERY EXPENSIVE MISTAKE if you cross-thread it.

7. Spark Plug Types: Use anything you like or your budget dictates. I use Bosch Platinum +4. From what I see in the Stock NGK Spark Plugs, I will replace my Bosch Spark Plugs every 40K miles or so (if I keep the Ody that long). I bought Spark Plugs from www.autohausaz.com ---> excellent prompt service.
8. Many car MFG’s recommend 100K miles spark plug change interval NOT for longevity of the car but to make the car look good in terms of “low cost of maintenance” so the car looks good for consumers groups looking at cost to maintain. So the car sells better! If you leave the spark plugs in for 100K miles, you run the risk of the Spark Plugs seizing in the cylinder head: a very EXPENSIVE problem!

Enjoy, Hope this helps convince people to change Spark Plugs sooner than the recommended 100K-interval.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
cnn - excellent post - as usual. Thanks for the detailed write-up and pics.

You may want to mention that it is very important not to over-tighten the new plugs during installation. I don't have my manual handy, but I would guesstimate that the recommended torque for the plugs is somewhere aroud 15-20ft-lbs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
WOW and THANKS!

We've just hit 60K and I've now added plugs to my spring maintenance list and your tips will save me a bunch of grief!

I never would have thought to check them "early" (though once you think about it you wouldn't really expect them to last 100K).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Re: Spark Plug Part III

First, thanks for all the great tips!

I also have some thoughts on spark plug selection. The Bosch Platinum +4 plugs may be a good match for the Odyssey but I've seen some serious complaints about them recently on a Prelude forum. Here's sample thread but there are a number of similar ones that I've seen:

Bosch Platinum Spark Plug Comments

And I once installed a Bosch Platinum set in my Prelude as part of a tune-up and the car just wasn't running well. After trying a pile of things I threw in the towel and took my car to my long time mechanic. He got the car running beautifully and one of the first things he did was pull the Bosch plugs and he replaced them with the stock NGK plugs. He told me that he didn't like the Bosch Platinum plugs and he advised me not to use them. He said that the Bosch plugs ran "too hot". And this was from a very experienced mechanic that specializes in Honda and Toyota vehicles.

I'm about to replace the plugs again on my Prelude and I decided to go with NGK again. (In fact I just got them today.)

Again, the Bosch plugs may be great for the Odyssey but you might want to keep an eye on them and on your Odyssey's performance.

Bob

cnn said:
7. Spark Plug Types: Use anything you like or your budget dictates. I use Bosch Platinum +4. From what I see in the Stock NGK Spark Plugs, I will replace my Bosch Spark Plugs every 40K miles or so (if I keep the Ody that long).

·
Registered
281 Posts
Had Bosch Platinums in my 94 Accord, had no idea why it kept on running hot. Turns out Bosch plugs run to hot. Put NGK's back in and ran great!

Only go NGK for Honda.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So far my Bosch 4+ sp plugs work fine

Gensys said:
FWIW, several people on the Ford Focus forums have had problems with the Bosch +4's also.
on my Ody. gas mileage 26mpg on highway (back to the same hwy gas mileage from day 1).

I will certainly report any problems (if any) to the forum but so far so good.

I have used Bosch (single, double and 4+ tips) in all my Toyota, Volvo, Honda (Civic, Legend and now Ody) and have had no problems.

Let start by doing something "scientific" rather than people in the other car forum (liek Ford Focus) complaining about Bosch sp plugs and cannot back it up with any data. So:
I will take a sample sp plug out every 5K, take a picture and post every 5K so all of us in this forum can be the judge:p :p :p

I think this is a fair deal for all of us here (more work for me but I want to learn as well).

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I need to add this link for those who want to keep the plugs until 100K

as per owners manual. Read on:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/sub_care_clinic/1315407.html

If you want to keep the sp plugs until 100K (although I do not think they can perform well at that mileage), at least remove the plugs every 2 yrs or 30-40K miles or so, inspect, and apply anti-seize, and re-install them.

Of course you can always replace them at appropriate interval that is sound to you and your engine (using good research and data).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Re: So far my Bosch 4+ sp plugs work fine

For an even better test, run a 50/50 split of Bosch Platinum and NKG plugs. Then we can have a true apples to apples comparison. ;-)

But one reason not to conduct such a test is that there's always a risk that you'll introduce some debris into your engine through repeated plug removals and installations.

But if you do conduct the test, I'll certainly be interested in the results.

Bob

cnn said:
I will take a sample sp plug out every 5K, take a picture and post every 5K so all of us in this forum can be the judge.

I think this is a fair deal for all of us here (more work for me but I want to learn as well).

·
Registered
217 Posts
I know this is overkill but...I used to change my plugs and air filter every 15k miles on Civic and Accord. (along with an oil change.) The air filter was always dirty enough that it was good to change. The plugs was more of a peace of mind thing. It was $10 bucks for platinum plugs.

I plan on doing the same thing for the Ody. The Accord runs great. I sold the Civic but it's still running great.

Like I said, for $10 once a year, it's a cheap way to make sure your vehicle is running at its best.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanghoang said:
I know this is overkill but...I used to change my plugs and air filter every 15k miles on Civic and Accord. (along with an oil change.) The air filter was always dirty enough that it was good to change. The plugs was more of a peace of mind thing. It was $10 bucks for platinum plugs.

I plan on doing the same thing for the Ody. The Accord runs great. I sold the Civic but it's still running great.

Like I said, for $10 once a year, it's a cheap way to make sure your vehicle is running at its best.
My personal opinion is:

1. Remove the spark plugs every 2-3 years for inspection, and more importantly apply anti-seize on the plugs to prevent seizing (the risk of seizing is real if the sp plugs are left alone there in the engine 6 yrs and 100K miles) causing a very expensive damage. The above article explained it:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/sub_care_clinic/1315407.html

2. Gone are the days of copper spark plugs that require 15K change. So I think changing platinum plugs every15K is overkill. But if you use copper sp plugs then 15K is OK.

Platinum is "touted" as lasting 100K miles but read on:
http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ic/ic120214.htm

SPARK PLUG REPLACEMENT TIPS
Spark plugs should be replaced at the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended intervals, but may have to be replaced sooner if they are fouled. On older vehicles, the replacement interval is typically 30,000 to 45,000 miles. On newer vehicles with platinum plugs, it may be as high as 100,000 miles. But short trip stop-and-go city driving as well as extended idling can shorten the life of any spark plug.

Most of us do a mix of hwy and city (my mix is 50/50) so from what I observe from my plugs removed at 65K miles (see the above picture in my post), change them at 50-60K miles.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I've noticed the discoloration, or "rust" as cnn puts it, around the base of the ceramic on every plug I've ever pulled out of a Honda, even when changing at only 15K. I suspect it's normal.

I tried Bosch in my Accord once. Never again. Ran noticeably rougher. NGK makes excellent plugs. No reason for me to change.

Once you apply anti-seize on the plugs, there is no reason to pull them again unless it's to replace them. The anti-seize doesn't wear out. That's the whole point of putting on the threads.

Excellent post, though. I think I'll pull my plugs. I got 60K on mine. No harm in replacing them early.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Accordian, Thanks for your note

accordian said:
I've noticed the discoloration, or "rust" as cnn puts it, around the base of the ceramic on every plug I've ever pulled out of a Honda, even when changing at only 15K. I suspect it's normal.

I tried Bosch in my Accord once. Never again. Ran noticeably rougher. NGK makes excellent plugs. No reason for me to change.

Once you apply anti-seize on the plugs, there is no reason to pull them again unless it's to replace them. The anti-seize doesn't wear out. That's the whole point of putting on the threads.

Excellent post, though. I think I'll pull my plugs. I got 60K on mine. No harm in replacing them early.
Discussing spark plug on a particular car is like discussing red wine, which bottle is better. It is a subjective thing.

I used to have a 1983 bmw 735 that only uses Bosch sp plugs, but not any Bosch, it had to be Silver (not platinum). So every car has its own peculiarity when it comes to spark plugs.
My 1991 Volvo 240 thrives on Bosch copper or platinum (does not matter which one).

Every Honda is different, you probably referred to the Accord with cap/rotor system. I have found cap/rotor system has less tolerance for different plugs, i.e., the car tends to favor one or 2 types of plugs.

Since 1998 or so, the newer Honda (and other cars such as my 1998 bmw 528i) uses direct ignition (coil-on-plug) and no longer uses cap/rotor.
With this system, one eliminates the "middle man" (cap and rotor with its inherent problems), and therefore the coil-on-plug system can adapt to many more plugs, i.e., less "finicky".

This is very interesting reading if you have time to read it. It is a debate between NGK vs Bosch on a "SER":

http://www.se-r.net/engine/bosch_vs_ngk.html

The Bosch platinum +4 plugs work on my 2001 Ody just fine, acceleration is brisk and fuel mileage as good as day 1.

As I promise, of course, I will take picture of my Bosch +4 plug at every 5K miles and post them FYI.

Regards,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeterday, I changed the plugs for the first time. I chose to go with the OEM NGK's. It was a very easy job. Just remember to use a small piece of rubber hose to get the replacement plugs started. Doing this will help in reducing the possibility of cross-threading the new plugs. A 6-8" piece will be sufficient. The van continues to run like new with the new plugs. As mentioned previously, use anti-seize compound on the threads. I also used a little dielectric compound on the boot.
We really enjoy the van, and it is quite adequate to accomodate all four children.
And, thanks to cnn for the recent post on the rear brake shoe replacement. I'll probably tackle that in the near future. This forum is very helpful to me, and I appreciate all of the helpful advice.
BTW, the best price that I found for the OEM NGK plugs was at Advance Auto Parts ($9.98 ea.). Most of the other retailers were 3-$4 more.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have replaced the spark plugs three times, I'm using OEM NGK plugs (got them at O'Reilly for $9.98 a piece).
I have not seen any changes in gas mileage replacing the spark plugs, or the way the engine ran, no major discoloration or wear (the gap is still within spec.). I bet I could go 120-130k miles with the NGK platinum plugs.
I have had several auto shops tell me that the Bosch plugs do not work well in the Honda.
So I never tried them, but I'm sure they work alright.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I replaced my spark plugs going with NGK Iridium plugs. The price between the NGK Iridiums and Platinums was small, so i went with the Iridiums. In my experience with Bosch plugs- asian import engines just don't seem to like them. I've worked for Mitsubishi and Toyota dealerships and have had to pull several sets out (installed elsewhere) due to rough running conditions or even misfire codes.

J

1 - 20 of 465 Posts
About this Discussion
464 Replies
174 Participants
dhauff
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing