Honda Odyssey Forum banner

461 - 465 of 465 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I averaged just over 30 mpg over a 3,000 camping trip in the Cdn. Rocky Mountains & I was pushing my 2000 Odyssey very hard through most of the trip. It still has the original NKG plugs & the vehicle now has 148k km on it. On my 1st real highway trip after I purchased it from my brother 1.5 yrs. ago I put on a fairly fast/hard trip which included quite a few decent size hills over about 30% of the trip & averaged 32 m.p.g. I have been very impressed with this vans fuel economy on the highway & the city. It is almost as good as my 2000 Nissan Maxima which is both lighter, is more wind resistant & has a smaller 3 litre engine vs the 3.5 litre engine in the Honda.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Are you shutting the engine off when you go down hills? or maybe going way under the speed limit? There seems to be something wrong here. With my 2000, I never got that good mileage.. maybe 24 was best

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I have never heard of an Odyssey getting 30 mpg over a long period. Perhaps '2000 Honda Van' was talking about Imperial gallons, and , he is in Canada. :ahh:
I got 27 once over 300 miles with a very strong tailwind driving East on I-80.. :ahh:
On my '03, on a long trip with fairly flat terrain and driving around 75 mph, I will avg around 23 mpg (with no headwind). If I slow down to 60, I can get over 26 mpg, but then I am not keeping up with the traffic flow.
dhauff, even shutting the engine off while going downhill (very dangerous, steering, braking, ) won't really help, because i believe the injectors shut off while going downhill while in gear and foot off the pedal.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hadn't considered Imperial Gallons. Ah yes, I was kidding about shutting the engine off, but glad you made it clear, its not safe. Would the high altitude affect it also or does the engine compensate for that? or the seasonal fuel mixture in Canada..?

461 - 465 of 465 Posts
About this Discussion
464 Replies
174 Participants
dhauff
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing