Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

First time user. My 2018 Odyssey Elite has a safety issue with the Auto Stop feature. I have reported this to the NHTSA Vehicle Safety reporting system (# 11413718). Sharing in case others have experience this as well.

I have searched the forums and found reports of Auto Stop becoming non-functional, which requires a reset. I did not find reports of this issue.

There are two different failure modes:

1. Vehicle stalls when attempting to resume driving
While auto stopped, applying the accelerator causes the vehicle to stall. Fixing the stall requires shifting to park, pressing the ignition start/top button twice, and shifting to drive. Sometimes I have to open the driver door to “hard” to get the ignition stop button to respond. Sometimes there are dashboard messages about a transmission error.

2. Vehicle starts and Forward Collision Mitigation System is disabled
When resuming driving from auto-stop, the vehicle will display that the Forward Collision system is disabled, and the entertainment system will reboot.

The vehicle stall issue can be stressful when at a busy intersection and a red light changes to green, or when trying to turn onto a major road. Our vehicle has been exclusively serviced by the same Honda Dealer, and is up to date on all recalls and maintenance schedule. I asked during a recent service if this is a known issue in a service bulletin. The dealer had no knowledge, and did not have a clear plan on how to fix.

I believe this is a major safety issue, and hope the NHTSA will investigate. If you have also experienced this problem, kindly reply here or also open a NHTSA Safety Complaint.

This problem is intermittent, and not easy to reproduce. It seems to happen in clusters. It seems to happen more frequently when the engine/transmission has been running for significant time (ex., road trip).

I have videos of both problems happening if helpful.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any ideas or solutions yet? I have an '18 Odyssey Touring that has the same issues with the auto-idle. It started with just a weird noise (like a loud record scratch) through the speakers when I would move my foot from the brake to gas for multiple months, and has moved to the noise and the collision mitigation message or the engine stalling with a different message on the dash. I am not positive if that message is the same transmission one you get or not- I'm always stressed getting the stalled car started again in traffic. Dealer keeps saying the software updates will fix it, but they have not changed anything. When they run diagnostic tests it doesn't show anything. I will also make a safety complaint.

·
Registered
2018 EX
2,084 Posts
Welcome aboard, Snickele :).

As Bandit400 mentioned, I would replace the battery but with a non-Honda one. Ask people on this forum which battery they prefer, based on where you live. The Honda batteries are subpar. How long have you had that battery? Is it the original battery? If so, you've done extremely well to get this far. As this forum ages, a lot of complaints about faulty electronics all seem to come back to the same cause - worn out battery.

If our solution works, I'd also invest in a battery tender. I bought the NOCO Genius 5. These devices not only charge the battery but they also restore the battery. They are very easy to use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for your post. My wife has had this happen twice and just like u in a busy intersection. Went to the dealership and no clue. Did you try swapping the battery and see if that helped?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts