Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out the Quest concept on the Nissan video:

http://autoshow2002.carpoint.msn.com/video.aspx?src=home&pos=Edit1

With the current proliferation of 7 and 8 passenger mid-size SUV's, why would anyone buy a minivan if they really want a SUV?

They are building a minivan for folks that don't want one instead of for those that do. Why do they think someone that feels embarrassed to drive a minivan would fell less embarrassed driving a SUV wannabee? Didn't they learn from Mazda? In order to sell minivans in quantity, I think they have to build a minivan to meet the needs of those that want one.

Why did they waste their time and money interviewing Odyssey owners?

This leaves the next gen Toyota Sienna as the only serious potential competitor for Odyssey.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Bobf58: Do you have any way to find out what the "next generation Sienna" will look like? Are they working on it? I agree that it is likely to be the only competition to the Odyssey. I assume they will do what Honda did, enlarge it to a larger, more powerful second generation version. I'm happy enough with my '98 (just my wife and I in our early 60s) but it is clear the new Odyssey is dramatically more popular than the 1st generation. On a drive south from Carmel, CA to Los Angeles for the heck of it I did a visual poll of Odysseys I saw, and counted 7 1st generation Odys and 28 2nd generation ones. Steve

------------------
stevenj
'98 Odyssey LX-7

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve,

To the best of my knowledge, Toyota has not released any info on the next Gen Sienna, although I'm sure they're working on it as it's due for MY 2003. Since the current Gen still sells pretty well, we probably won't hear anything until the fall, as that could jeopardize current sales.

I would expect they are looking seriously at Ody, and will increase the size to match, but I can't be sure at this point. That's why I said "potential competitor".

Bob

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't know about you, but I think that even
people that want minivans would rather buy one that looks cool. And, if you wanted the functionality of a minivan but did not like the way they looked, then Nissan is going in the right direction.
Honda better keep up with the coolness. I think the ODY looks like something from StarTrek, and is plenty cool.
The other car makers have to come up with something to stay in the game. Give them some credit for creativity.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope you're right but that concept looks much too short to have the functionality of a "real" minivan.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi,

I agree with you, the Toyota Sienna is next up at bat to be a serious contender. I looked at them and they are very, very nice. They are just too small for my family, otherwise I would not be waiting five months. If they make it bigger with the 3rd row folding seat they will have an immediate big hit. My neighbor has one and it rides great and has had zero problems.

Of course, I am sure that Honda is also working hard. :)

Tom

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah. I plan to trade in my '00 when the MY '04's come out. If I like what Toyota's offering better than what Honda's offering at that time, I may have to jump ship. The one complaint I have with the current Ody's (and apparently the upcoming Pilot), is that you have to choose between factory RES and factory NAV, and I want both.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts