Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
I know a Honda service manager who does work on the side. He said that it was not worth fixing
Because they always tell you that to sell you a new car. Service managers sometimes don't understand cars completely, you need to pull in a tech for details. If the timing belt / water pump job was performed properly then you wouldn't be in this situation. If I spend $1000 a year to maintain a car, it's still cheaper than paying $3000+ a year in car loans or $20k+ for a new one.

So let's hear what you got for replacement and how much.

·
Registered
147 Posts
hey everyone. I had an issue with a 2007 3.5L. I had a timing belt tensioner replaced. When I picked it up it had a CEL. I took it to a different shop and they said cylinder #2 has no compression. He says this could be from a bent valve. I just squat when it comes to cars. The van has 156k for mileage.
two questions:
1. Is it worth getting the van fixed?
2. How much would it be to repair. The mechanic I took it to says it would be a big job(he is a Honda certified mechanic)
Any advice is welcome!!!
Why would you not take it back to the first shop? Any reputable shop would warranty their work. Whether it is worth fixing depends on how much they are going to charge you? I don't like that the mechanic said he "thinks" it is a bent valve. There are ways to narrow down the problem to exactly which valve is the problem. A bent valve would also be quite noisy as a valve that doesn't close all the way would have the rocker arm slamming into the partially open valve. I wonder if a borescope would tell you if the valve was bent? If it is a bent valve, replacing it is a fairly big job. You need to pull the head.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The first shop has said if they caused it they would fix it but won’t take the blame. It went in without that problem and then came out of his shop messed up, therefore I believe he did cause it. So since he won’t even own up to messing up the car I’m done with him

·
Registered
277 Posts
Borescope would allow you to only view the cylinder chamber and top of cylinder, you can't bend it up to look up at the valves. A leakdown test identifies whether it's exhaust or intake valves that's bend.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Leak down test in each hole set at TDC on the compression stroke. I as well wouldn't figure a bore scope or even an endoscope with an upwardly facing mirror would be able to see the likely bent section on a valve if present.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts