Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed tonight that the green eye in my '06 Ody battery is dark or black. I checked the voltage with a voltmeter and it reads 12.68V. No problems starting, just the green eye is not there anymore. On these maintenance free batteries, can you add distilled water to them?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Charge the battery and see if it comes back. It is time for a new battery unless you enjoy being stuck somewhere with a dead battery.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Normally maintenace free batteries are just that. I would suggest taking your Ody to an auto parts store of your choice and ask them to perform a load test on it. You should be able to best assess the battery's health following this test.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just noticed tonight that the green eye in my '06 Ody battery is dark or black. I checked the voltage with a voltmeter and it reads 12.68V. No problems starting, just the green eye is not there anymore. On these maintenance free batteries, can you add distilled water to them?
I had same problem on a 3-yr old battery in a week-end only car.
I plugged the battery to a slow charger and the green eye came back after 16 hours.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had same problem on a 3-yr old battery in a week-end only car.
I plugged the battery to a slow charger and the green eye came back after 16 hours.
I did that last night and left the charger on a 2 amp charge overnight for about 10 hrs. I got up this morning and the green eye was back and read 12.78V. Started the engine and got a low voltage of 9.78V and a high of 14.58. Drove to work and back and the green eye is still visible. Voltage still checks out fine at 12.66V. Seems like it was just low on charge.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I did that last night and left the charger on a 2 amp charge overnight for about 10 hrs. I got up this morning and the green eye was back and read 12.78V. Started the engine and got a low voltage of 9.78V and a high of 14.58. Drove to work and back and the green eye is still visible. Voltage still checks out fine at 12.66V. Seems like it was just low on charge.
Hook up the multimeter and start the car. If you start to get toward 9.5 volts while cranking you may be ready for a new battery but then take it to your local auto parts store for a real test. I just did this in preparation for winter and my 3 year old SAAB battery on my '05 ARC:
12.49 car off -> 10.7 cranking -> 14.22 running

1 - 6 of 6 Posts