Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help me.....my brother in law wants to drive the van,he has a licence but the problem is he doesn't have insurance,is't okey to allow him to drive the van.(the van was insured under my name.)

We live in Califonia and am not familiar with the state law regarding this. I really appreciate your reply. Thank u so much

·
Registered
72 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ody4MyBaby:
Please help me.....my brother in law wants to drive the van,he has a licence but the problem is he doesn't have insurance.......We live in Califonia and am not familiar with the state law regarding this..........</font>
Insuarance goes with the car NOT the driver.
Unless the insurance company has excluded him by name with a rider on your policy.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Anyone can drive your vehicle and be insured as long as they have your permission, (ergo no insurance coverage on a stolen car).

------------------
02 SS EX-L-RES
97 Maxima SE 5-Spd
99 Z-71 Silverado
91 Suzuki GSF400 Bandit (14,000 RPM redline baby)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ody4MyBaby,

Insurance policy-wise, it's likely to be OK for anyone to drive the car.

For long terms, however, it's not good. You may lose your wife, or your brother-in-law, or your insurance policy, or some or all of them.

A friend of my sister's let someone not in the policy drive her car. After the first accident by that person, the insurance premium went through the roof. After the second accident by the same person, the insurance company just refused to renew.

Your friendly insurance agent is the best person to answer questions about your policy.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
In this state, I think it is similar, but if the insurance company finds out that the person lives under the same roof and is a regular driver of the vehicle, they can resist or refuse payment. Drivers under the same roof are supposed to be explicitly listed on the policy. It shouldn't increase the premium, but may. Around here, the driver with the worst record is used to calculate the premium on the most expensive vehicle, the second worst gets associated with the next most expensive vehicle, and so on.

At least that's how I understand it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You should be OK to let your relative drive the car. I use to work for a large insurance company as a claims rep in the casualty dept. The general rule about letting someone in your house drive the car is tht if the keys are availble to that person (lying on the counter) they are covered to drive...even if they are not of age to drive! Sounds crazy, huh? A 13 year old can take the car for a joyride and be covered. The laws in Mass. are a bit strict, as Superdad has stated--that's why many insurance companies don't cover people living in Mass.

------------------

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Please help me.....my brother in law wants to drive the van,he has a licence but the problem is he doesn't have insurance,is't okey to allow him to drive the van.(the van was insured under my name.)...
</font>
If I had any doubt about this I would take only the word of the insurance company, since they are the ones who have to pay in case of a problem.

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
530 Posts
I hate to let anyone besides my wife and myself let drive our vehicles. Besides the fact that I'm fussy about getting dings in parking lots, I also had a terrible story when I was in college. Three friends and myself drove from Quinnipiac college in Ct. to Florida. We took turns driving and I owned the car. Coming home, the driver (not me) fell asleep at the wheel in South Carolina. It was a terrible story, but the driver of the car ended up sueing me because I was respondsible since I owned the car. I think he was considered the chauffer and I was respondsible just as if I were the driver. I was covered by my insurance, but I didn't think he should sued me, I couldn't sue for pain and suffering, but the driver could.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Please help me.....my brother in law wants to drive the van,he has a licence but the problem is he doesn't have insurance,is't okey to allow him to drive the van.(the van was insured under my name.)

We live in Califonia and am not familiar with the state law regarding this. I really appreciate your reply. Thank u so much
</font>
I have a friend who let someone else drive his car and he had an accident, even tho the person who was drive had insurance and wanted to take care of it, his insurance company told him, his friend gave him the keys, so my friends insurance had to pay for damages, my friends insurance company told him if he let anyone else drive his car that wasn't listed on the policy, they would cancel them and his premium went sky high. I think the real question is, do you want to let someone that not under your policy drive your car? It is a differnt story when you take your car to a shop and they test drive your car, because you are paying them to service your car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
sorry to be posting again. i just read the posts after my first one. There is one insurance that I know of, Geico, that I know will not cover people that are not on the policy (at least in Virginia)...so I think you better call your insurance company and verify that your BIL is covered.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts