Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive done some searching on this without finding the exact situation so forgive me if I missed something.

Regarding an '02 EX-L with 115,000 miles.

It's been about 2 months and 1,500 miles since my last oil change - pure synthetic. I checked the oil today and the stick was bone dry. There's been no smoke or light or smoke (that I've noticed but I don't stand behind it while running). Also, no noises or spots on the driveway. I go for mostly very short trips of a couple miles with some longer trips of 10-50 miles thrown in once a week or so.

Is my engined destroyed but just short of showing symptoms (like high blood pressure, the silent killer)? I figure my best bet is to add 4-5 quarts of Mobil 1 then bring it to my mechanic in a few days so he can drain it and look for detritus. Sound good? Is there anything else I can do?

Bonus information - the last time I went for a change the tech told me he could get the bolt off so he topped me off (1/2 qt) and told me to see my mechanic to fix it. Then I forgot. Duh.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Ive done some searching on this without finding the exact situation so forgive me if I missed something.

Regarding an '02 EX-L with 115,000 miles.

It's been about 2 months and 1,500 miles since my last oil change - pure synthetic. I checked the oil today and the stick was bone dry. There's been no smoke or light or smoke (that I've noticed but I don't stand behind it while running). Also, no noises or spots on the driveway. I go for mostly very short trips of a couple miles with some longer trips of 10-50 miles thrown in once a week or so.

Is my engined destroyed but just short of showing symptoms (like high blood pressure, the silent killer)? I figure my best bet is to add 4-5 quarts of Mobil 1 then bring it to my mechanic in a few days so he can drain it and look for detritus. Sound good? Is there anything else I can do?

Bonus information - the last time I went for a change the tech told me he could get the bolt off so he topped me off (1/2 qt) and told me to see my mechanic to fix it. Then I forgot. Duh.

Thanks!
Find out from a competent mechanic exactly what is the problem with the oil drain plug.

Then top off with oil -- it is unclear that you have done this -- install a new oil filter, and (assuming that the engine is still running) drive for a few miles. Then change the oil and filter.

You might consider a FilterMag on the outside of the oil filter in order to remove the metal particles so small that the pass through the oil filter.

Please keep us advised of your progress.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is how something very simple can cause catastrophic failure. From what i gather the mech did not change the oil. as the plug was not removed so... You need to be a little proactive here and make sure that the service gets done correctly.
BUT...
First, before you even start the engine again put in just enough oil so that it reads on the stick, don,t assume that it need 4-5 quarts just because you cant see it on the stick it might need just 1-1/2. so add slowly and check. Your probably ok if there was at-least enough oil to keep the pump feed.

Next Fine a good Mech to take care of you car. The three most important thing to keep a car alive is to:
1. Make sure you have oil in the engine and there is oil pressure.
2. Make sure you have clean coolent at the correct ratio and level.
3. If any of the first two things listed are in question STOP IMMEDIATELY.

Continuing to dive a car that has low oil pressure or is over heating is the worst thing you can do. It can destroy an engine in a matter of moments.

·
Registered
9,318 Posts
Good suggestions above to normalize the oil level. But you still have to find out where it went. I would either have someone drive behind and watch the exhaust for blue smoke, or pull the spark plugs and check for oil fouling.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
I might get flamed for this but is the synthetic oil causing the consumption? (i.e. internal combustion and internal leaking)

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. What could it hurt to run dino oil and see what happens? I know mine uses some oil between changes. I put synth in last time, I wonder where it's at right now on the stick. I don't think your motor is toast seeing you do not see smoke and no odd noises. I don't see anywhere that you had the oil light come on so you shouldn't have lost pressure. Usually when you are really really low you will see the light come on while going around a corner but I've never seen that on my Ody, only the Voyager I had.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts