Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got to say that I find it a little disingenuous that AMHC would extend a warranty after 6 years to only 100K. I replaced my power steering pump at 120K 3.5 years ago. That was after driving without power steering for over 50K miles because I couldn't afford to replace it. The replacement went out after 20K and I just said forget it. Now they extend the warranty and won't help me out because I was over the limit. They know that the PSP was bad. I myself don't think I'll ever buy another Honda again over this. They say it isn't a "safety recall". I said well why don't you try parking my van then!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well be prepared. If you are past 100K, even though that form doesn't mention the mileage, you will not be sent a reimbursement.

·
Registered
755 Posts
So Honda sent out a reimbursement huh..? What if I had to replace it for 3 times but sold the van 10 months ago..?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Honda extended the warranty on the power steering pump? Any more information on that? I recently bought a 08 and it has the power steering problem. Any input? Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had mine replaced at 35kmiles under waranty. I later, at 45k had the van in for service and said the steering was feeling heavy again. They said that I would have to pay for the diagnosis, 1hr labor and then it would not be covered under waranty unless it was a goodwill situation because it was repaired so recently.
How do I find this "extended Waranty" is it a TSB?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had this problem and had an extended 3rd party warranty to 100k and had the pump replaced at 60k and started having problems around 90k again but it was intermittent so they wouldn't replace it because they couldn't duplicate. Now I have 106k and get this letter in the mail, i was pissed. I called they said they'd look at it and call Honda to see what they could do. I'll be even more pissed if they won't do it now. We will see I guess.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Search for the DIY thread on PS Pump by "geobrick".

He replaced BOTH the PS Pump ($250) and the PS Reservoir ($13).

In my case, I replaced the PS Reservoir ($13) and the problem is solved; $13 plus a few PS fluid bottles. Total cost about $30. Very very easy DIY.
Search forum for info.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The TSB is 10-076 - Steering Wheel Is Hard to Turn Quickly at Low Speeds
Applies To: 2005–10 Odyssey – ALL
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/A10-076.PDF

In the past, Honda replaced the old PS pump and the problem persisted b/c the new pump was the same part number as the old pump.

In Nov, 2010, Honda came out with the new TSB where a new pump with a different part number was used. This seems to fix the problem permanently (at least in my case).

Old parts that didn't fix the problem:
The Power Steering Pump # 56110-RGL-A02 (2005)
The pressure side hose O-Ring - 91370-SV4-000

Honda had a TSB 10-076 to fix the stiff steering that used the new parts:
Power Steering Pump: P/N 56110-RGL-A03
O-ring: P/N 91345-RDA-A01

Apparently the A02 pump and 91370 O-ring had some defect and had to be replaced with a A03 pump and 91345 O ring.

Check your invoice for the part numbers.
If Honda didn't install the A03 pump and the 91345 O ring, then you may be able to argue that Honda didn't fix the original problem.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
It is "Catch 22" issue.

a. PS Pump sending tiny debris blocking PS Reservoir Filter versus
b. Debris coming the inside of the hose blocking PS Reservoir Filter.

Regardless of the cause(s), it is always good to start with the cheap option first: the PS Reservoir is $13.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I went the precautionary route and just changed the resivour and fluid as cnn suggests. So far so good at 60k.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Copy of letter from Honda

Can someone post a copy of the letter they received from Honda re: what to do to get reimbursed for power steering pump replacement?
I recall seeing that in the mail, and I did pay to replace the pump once, but my wife (honestly) trashed the letter.
All I need is the section on directions to get reimbursed.
Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got a letter in the mail for my '05 Ody and have never had the power steering replaced. I did notice it was getting harder to park at low speeds but just chaulked it up to the age of the van.

I took it in and they swapped in a new PS pump.

At first I did not notice much of a difference until I parked it with one hand the other day.... that would not be possible with the previous pump.

Honda covered all the expenses. My van had about 87,000 km on it (54,000 miles)

·
Registered
55 Posts
is this only for the US? no recall for my 05 in canada yet...
It is *not* a recall. It is merely a warranty extension. According to the letter, only a select few 2005 were chosen. In my cynical opinion, Honda chose the ones with mileage beyond 100K...like ours. :mad:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think I got real lucky here.

I received the letter in the mail about 3 weeks ago regarding the warranty extension for my 2005 odyssey. My ody currently has almost 140k miles, but as it happens, my pump went out at 98.2k miles and I had it replaced at the Honda dealer. After receiving this letter, I sent into Honda the form they included and also my record/receipt of the work done from the Honda dealer and also payment receipt.

About 2 days ago a check arrived in the mail from Honda for the full cost of the pump replacement (almost $570).

I feel for those who have been caught by the 100k limit on the warranty extension. I don't know how long I'll get to make it on my current PS pump, but so far so good. I had both the Power Steering Pump and Engine Mount replaced at about the same time, and so far I've managed about 40k trouble free miles since then.

For what it's worth, it might be worth it to double check your service records. My understanding is that any time(s) that the PS pump was replaced not under warranty but up to 100k miles qualifies for a refund - even if multiple occasions. With the cost of this repair, that could be fairly valuable. If nothing else, a quick call to Honda may be helpful to see if you qualify.

-zesty

·
Registered
2 Posts
no not only in the usa. ayy fellow canadian .. I got my notice Aug 2011 with my vin on it.According to Jerry Chenkin , Executive Vice President, Honda Canada ,most 2005 odys that are 7yrs or 160000km from original date of purchase will be granted warrenty extention.But then again my ody could have come up from the states,Im not the original owner, any way all the best ,good luck and tell them Jerry sent you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought 2005 Ody in Oct-2010 from owner @93K miles, he sold primarily because of PS problem. I spent $2200 for 100K maintenance including PS replacement. I too received letter from Honda and I sent back the forms filled & claimed about $580.00 So far not received any communication from Honda..Do you think I will get the check or do I need to follow up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the head's up on this! I posted a year ago about my steering woes, and the dealer went ahead and replaced the power steering fluid reservoir at the time, but the problem remained. Decided to take the car in again for another look at the problem, and checked these boards before making the appointment. The dealer replaced the power steering pump on my 2007 Odyssey last week for free, no questions asked. Problem finally solved!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts