Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, ive seen post kinda similar to my problem, but not similar. 2000 ody 200k. went to leave the store and turn the key to let it prime. turned the car over and it started, sputtered and died. waited a minute and turned the key to prime and i have no power to the cluster. everything else in the car has power but not the cluster. but when i go to try and start it again and its turning over i get power to the cluster, it starts, sputters and dies. only thing i have done is clean battery cables and make sure they were tight, checked all fuses(driver/passenger side floor board, passenger side under hood and the little one next to the battery). other than that i have no seen anything that stands out. i appreciate any feedback and help. thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
one more thing. when i turn the key 1 click "on" i cant not here the prime but i cant hear a relay click from the passenger side floor board. a few times i would get normal power when turned to "on" but as of right now, nothing.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Couple items come to mind. Common issue is the main relay. Some people reflow the solder connections on the board.
Another issue is the ignition switch wiring. It's an assembly behind the switch itself. Had to replace that on my 96.
You mentioned you checked the battery cables, did you check the ground? On my 99 the ground connection to the engine block was 70% frayed apart.

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 120k miles
1,830 Posts
Great description K_sheezy. I think a problem with the main relay would result in issues with the car not starting (lack of fuel), but I think the clue on the instrument panel not lighting up points to something else, and the usual suspect for that would be the ignition switch.

For my '99, that was a known recalled defective part. I don't know if it was recalled in MY 2000 as well, but it is a known weak point either way. The part number is 35130-s0x-305 . If you search this forum for that, you'll find multiple posts by me (I always include the part number to make it easy to find via search). If this site search fails, try google itself.

Some very simple steps using only a Phillips #2 screwdriver will let you access the switch on the left side of the steering column. Best case would be if you can remove the panel, recreate the problem with the dash not lighting up, and then wiggle some wires going into the ignition switch to confirm that is the problem. And then replace it.

And if you're on a roll after that, the main relay is a known issue, and may be a different problem you have now as well, and may be worth doing a pre-emptive re-flow of the solder as I did. Nice to do easy things to rule out potential issues sometimes.

Reactions: K_SHEEZY

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where is the main relay located? the ground looked a little oily but didn't see any damage.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Video makes it even clearer for me - ignition switch.

Since you have the switch exposed in the following post's photo, you can undo those two phillips head screws to physically remove the switch from the steering column. Be careful because one (or more) of those wires is 12V.

With the key still in the key cylinder, to keep the immobilizer happy, you will see a slot in the white plastic of the ignition switch. Normally that is turned by the key cylinder. But you can use a slotted screwdriver to turn it. Similar experimentation as you did well in the video there. Your goal would be to make sure the looseness / sloppiness is in the ignition switch vs. the key cylinder.

And the main relay can be seen by putting your head on the ground by where the driver's feet go, and looking up. I think in my car, it is on a bracket, with a brown rectangular box, and a white plastic insert. The trick to removal (search on here) is to leave the bracket and brown box in place, and pry both ends of the white insert free, pulling it out with the plug. As with the ignition switch, one of these wires is live 12V, so be careful.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
And if you want circuit diagrams of the ignition switch, main relay, etc., you can see them in this post from a few years ago when I was having some flaky behavior from my immobilizer on my '99:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I forgot to do an update. You were 100 on my problem. It was the ignition switch. Went to junk yard and bought one for $15. Put it in my van and it started right up no issue. I would have never thought of this being a problem so thank you for saving me.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Glad it helped and you got it fixed so efficiently. Your good descriptions and information helped in the process.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts