Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My OEM radio went out. I checked the usual #11 and #36 fuses at the kickpanel and underhood locations respectively but they were fine. I checked the wiring with my multitester and found all leads to have correct voltage except the 12v ignition/switched lead; this is the lead that turns on the radio when you click the ignition once, just before cranking the car. If the fuses are good, what else could be the problem ?? I plugged in another OEM radio from my "01 Integra to discard that the radio is bad; the Integra radio shows the same problem and I know for a fact this radio is good. I'll be tracing the wiring today to check for breakage.

Help is appreciated !!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Checked the switch and its OK. Thanks for the tip !!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is power at the fuse but not at the radio harness that plugs into the radio. Is there a relay or anything like that between the fuse and the radio harness ??

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't know if there is a relay between the fuse and radio harness.

This might be obvious, but check pins in the harness itself for corrosion or it might have even backed out of the harness.

Also, it's possible that the power wire from the fuse box to the harness might be bad (too much resistence) or may have a break/cut. If you can trace the power wire, inspect the wire cover/sheath for any breaks or wear or test the power wire from fuse block to harness for continuity.

Good luck.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The wires look good, not cracked, fried, or anything like that. However, according to the manual, there is a relay in the wire that is also used by the cigarette lighter power. I am digging in there to find the relay and test it. Does anyone have a diagram of where the relay is within the dash ??

·
Registered
92 Posts
in the mitchell ondemand manual it says its behind dash right of steering column but thats as good as i can get. I have the same problem so im going to check this also.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found the relay and it was bad; reaching the darned thing was not fun. I got a copy of the OEM manual which helped a lot. I'll be replacing this and see if the problem is fixed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know you said you checked the under-hood fuses, but did you check the fusible-link that's next to the battery? Search my posts and you'll see more information on it...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes. You are supposed to check fuses #11 in the kickpanel fusebox and #36 in the engine compartment fusebox. Both are OK. I know the relay is bad. I am replacing that and, assuming there is no problems with the wiring, the problem should be fixed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts