1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
I've tried many of the suggestions here, but no luck. Here's the situation:

Problem:
1. Radio, interior lights, Homelink - not working.
2. Acc ports working, but the port just below the radio has been pulled out, used for many accessories. Still working though.
3. Fuse 11 (10A) blows Instantly.

Facts:
A. Fuses 9 and 10 intact (15A)
B. Just installed new alternator. Could this contribute?
C. Fuse 11 is always live (12.3V). Is this supposed to be hot? (Maybe for presents?)
D. Anti-theft light on radio NOT working.
E. Otherwise, car runs well. (Okay. lops a little bit, but otherwise fine.)
F. Can't get Honda electrical troubleshooting guide open. Using Edge.Also tried Chrome and FireFox.

Model: 2002 Honda Odyssey EX. Original Owner. 244,000 miles. 22 mpg.

Any suggestions to get radio, others working?
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
When did this start?
What were you doing (electrically speaking) when it first happened?
Have you checked the "out" bulbs for shorts? Try removing them, see if fuse still blows.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When did this start?
Have you checked the "out" bulbs for shorts? Try removing them, see if fuse still blows.
Hi Ted! It started today. Right after I replaced the alternator. Snapped all the cables back in place, started it up and - running great, just problems above. I have not tried to replace the "out" bulbs, but... would they all go at the same time? and the home link?
Thanks! Antonio

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When did this start?
Hi Ted - I didn't remove the bulbs, but I just tried setting the interior light switch to "off" and it still blows the fuse immediately. Great suggestion tho. Do you know if the Fuse #11 slot is always supposed to be hot? - Thanks!

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
No, I would just be looking for one to be burned out and shorted. You could do it one by one closely inspecting them, or seeing if removing One stops the fuses from blowing. I don't know how big a supply of fuses you have around so I was just thinking of testing the possibility of light bulbs all at once.
Do you know if the Fuse #11 slot is always supposed to be hot? - Thanks!
I have learned, through unhappy experience, that leaving one of the interior lights "on" by accident will fully drain the battery. Yup...always on. Preserves radio presets too.

So, default position for the dash paddle switch in my van is "Off". Too easy to turn one of those headliner lights on by accident during the day when moving gear around. Not notice light in daylight. Come back a couple days later to dead battery.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, I would just be looking for one to be burned out and shorted. You could do it one by one closely inspecting them, or seeing if removing One stops the fuses from blowing. I don't know how big a supply of fuses you have around so I was just thinking of testing the possibility of light bulbs all at once.

I have learned, through unhappy experience, that leaving one of the interior lights "on" by accident will fully drain the battery. Yup...always on. Preserves radio presets too.

So, default position for the dash paddle switch in my van is "Off". Too easy to turn one of those headliner lights on by accident during the day when moving gear around. Not notice light in daylight. Come back a couple days later to dead battery.
YES! Been there, done that. Same here - leave it in off. I'll check the bulbs....Thank you!

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
No Nav, correct?

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Hi folks,
I've tried many of the suggestions here, but no luck. Here's the situation:

Problem:
1. Radio, interior lights, Homelink - not working.
2. Acc ports working, but the port just below the radio has been pulled out, used for many accessories. Still working though.
3. Fuse 11 (10A) blows Instantly.

Facts:
A. Fuses 9 and 10 intact (15A)
B. Just installed new alternator. Could this contribute?
C. Fuse 11 is always live (12.3V). Is this supposed to be hot? (Maybe for presents?)
D. Anti-theft light on radio NOT working.
E. Otherwise, car runs well. (Okay. lops a little bit, but otherwise fine.)
F. Can't get Honda electrical troubleshooting guide open. Using Edge.Also tried Chrome and FireFox.

Model: 2002 Honda Odyssey EX. Original Owner. 244,000 miles. 22 mpg.

Any suggestions to get radio, others working?
Thanks!
Fuse 11 Pass Interior:
INTR LIGHT
RADIO
Cargo area light, Left and right front and rear individual
map lights, Front individual map light, Navigation
display unit (’00-’04), Navigation unit (’00-’04)
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

Hope you see something above that you may have disturbed.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No Nav, correct?
Correct.
I purchased the Haynes Manual, and now have the wiring diagram. Still unsure how to find a ground. Do I need to set up a wire on the positive terminal, then go upstream of all the connections and see if I get continuity? Thoughts?
I also wonder if it's the Interior Lights Relay. Not sure how to test this...
I have figured out that simply switching the Interior Light Switch to "off" would NOT help me, as the switch only blocks the ground. Any power going to an upstream short would still blow the fuse.
Fuse 11 Pass Interior:
INTR LIGHT
RADIO
View attachment 167772

Buffalo4
Thanks so much for this! I just bought the Haynes Manual, so I have it there too. Thanks again very much!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fuse 11 Pass Interior:
INTR LIGHT
RADIO
View attachment 167772

Buffalo4
Not sure how the site works - wanted to make sure you saw my "Thanks!" below. :)!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi folks! Thanks for all those who have chimed in. Here's the latest: Per the suggestion above I took apart everything on this circuit, from easiest to hardest. Turns out it's the radio. Everything works fine until I plug in the radio, then the fuse blows immediately.

Any idea if Honda (or anyone else) will service the radio? I know I can get an aftermarket, but am trying to keep the same clean look.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Value play would be to get a used radio from a recycler or car-part.com.

·
Registered
10,437 Posts
Any idea if Honda (or anyone else) will service the radio?
Call a local stereo shop. They may give you a lead to someone who could have a look at it.

BTW, does the radio have the builtin CD player? Do you have little ones who could have poked a coin into the CD slot? That's been known to short out the insides.

Reactions: Buffalo4
1 - 13 of 13 Posts