Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my 2011 Odyssey aligned at a trusted local tire store. They adjusted the alignment and it is no longer pulling to the right; however, they did mention that the rear camber was slightly out of factory specification for both rear wheels. Unfortunately, the rear camber is not adjustable. I confirmed with my honda dealer that indeed there is no adjustment for rear camber. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
They are right, the Ody has no rear camber adjustment (fixed upper control arm). You might find an adjustable one n the aftermarket world. It's available for earlier generations - not sure about 4th generation models.

OTOH, if the suspension is at factory spec, the rear camber should be okay. One possible cause for rear camber decay is sagging rear springs. Have you towed heavy a lot or carried a lot of heavy loads?

Is the camber excessively positive or negative?

Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are right, the Ody has no rear camber adjustment (fixed upper control arm). You might find an adjustable one n the aftermarket world. It's available for earlier generations - not sure about 4th generation models.

OTOH, if the suspension is at factory spec, the rear camber should be okay. One possible cause for rear camber decay is sagging rear springs. Have you towed heavy a lot or carried a lot of heavy loads?

Is the camber excessively positive or negative?

Dave
Thanks for the reply Dave. The left side camber is -1.5 and the right is -1.6. The suspension is 100% original and I've never towed anything. The van has a mere 19K miles on it. A technician at the dealership (who did not see my vehicle) mentioned that they can loosen and tighten some of the rear suspension components which might get it back to factory spec. Seems bizarre to me.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
My rear camber is -1.4 left, -1.4 right. Was at -1.1 left -1.7 right the alignment before that. -1.3 left, -1.6 right at it's first alignment. I do get feathering on the inside edge of the tires but I wear them out. It's looks like the camber does move in and out. Must be the weight in the car at the time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently had my 2011 Odyssey aligned at a trusted local tire store. They adjusted the alignment and it is no longer pulling to the right; however, they did mention that the rear camber was slightly out of factory specification for both rear wheels. Unfortunately, the rear camber is not adjustable. I confirmed with my honda dealer that indeed there is no adjustment for rear camber. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Yea I had rear tires wear out on the inside. Didn't even notice it .I only had 3 or 4/32 tread left when I saw. In this case it was my fault for not rotating tires. Just monitor it. Rotate them according to the manual, basically every time the maintenance light comes on. If that doesn't help and your tires aren't crazy performance tires or have unidirectional tread, have a corner tire shop install them backwards. Then the outside edge will take more abuse next rotation and even out the wear. Might cause noise and not recommended for crazy drivers.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I added adjustable camber arms back in 2015.... best money spent!
So, they are still holding up well? I'll probably put them in when I need new front struts at some point. Or if I notice excessive tire wear...

-Charlie

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just replaced my rear control arms with adjustable ones last week due to the exact same issue as I my tires were showing excessive wear in the inside. Had it aligned the next day and camber is now within spec. My pre-alignment specs were off as much as yours. Shop said to rotate my tires more often, since the rear arms were not adjustable. Probably cheaper to rotate the tires more often, but that wouldn't really solve the issue.

If you do this job yourself... plan on removing the shocks, a bracket that holds the brake line hydraulic hose and ABS sensor wire, and rubber grommets that hold the ABS wire to that bracket and another bracket nearby. Moving and replacing these items takes little time and will make enough room so the job goes easier. And be well aware of the brake caliper bleeder valve when using your tools...you don't want to accidentally knock that baby off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts