Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hearing that this tax free period might actually happen and will apply to large ticket items like cars as well. Was happy to get my car in Oct but now I wish it would have been delayed until Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
859 Posts
If the tax free days do happen, a few people are going to get lucky on ordered vehicles and the dealers will pretty much clear off their lots. 6% state tax here. My Ody isn't due until late Jan so I'm out of luck I guess.

-Mark

------------------

·
Registered
207 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Aardvaark:
My Ody isn't due until late Jan so I'm out of luck I guess.</font>
I have to wonder, though, whether you'd get the benefit provided you paid for the vehicle during the specified period (even though you haven't taken delivery).

·
Registered
207 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gettin'AVan:
Would a lender give you $ to buy something you couldn't take possession of, therefore they couldn't repossess it?</font>
Good point. You'd probably need to have the cash or use something other than the vehicle as collateral (e.g. home equity).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Would you please let me know where the information is located that I could reference regarding the tax break status? I have an 02 on order that I expect within that timeframe, so am very anxious to take advantage of this if it happens - living in a 6% tax rate state. Thanks

------------------
90 Ford T-Bird SC
92 Ford E-150 Hi-top Conv.
'02 MB EXL-RES on order

·
Registered
859 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Homer:
I have to wonder, though, whether you'd get the benefit provided you paid for the vehicle during the specified period (even though you haven't taken delivery).</font>

Interesting thought. My plan is to pay for the Ody with cash (been saving for a long time, I'm not rich) so only state laws pertaining to this possible tax amnesty and paying early well before delivery would be a problem. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the idea.

-Mark

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just picked up my MB EX-L RES last night. I was aware of this NO sales Tax week bill but dealer never heard of it. So what we worked out was I payed $30K DEPOSIT and took our baby home on a dealer plate. Then on 11/23 if this goes through or not I will pay for the van, get plates, register etc so ALL paperwor is dated 11/23. I hate the wait but for $2,400 ( 8% in NYS ) I can wait 10 more days. Here is a link I found. Also heard it on the news yesterday. Hope it goes through.
http://www.bookweb.org/home/news/btw/5199.html

·
Registered
185 Posts
The House bill covers STATE taxes only unless you live in New York City. The Senate bill covers State and local taxes.

I searched the NYTimes and the WS Journal and couldn't find any mention since Oct 30. Don't hold your breath. (Doesn't mean I'm not holding mine but I'm foolish by nature.)

Dave

·
Registered
207 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gettin'AVan:
Don't hold your breath.</font>
Nope, especially since both House and Senate bills have been referred to the appropriate committees (Ways and Means and Finance, respectively).

I looked at the Ways and Means schedule and the only meeting scheduled this week is on Thursday for an entirely unrelated matter. Doesn't look good.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm not sure you would have to pay cash etc. The transaction could be considered with the laws in effect at the time the sales transaction was signed-not at the time the money changed hands or the loan was approved or the vehicle was delivered. That's the document that states whst taxes are due. If you have an Ody on order, you might want to rewrite the sales agreement with the newer date, if the moratorium applies to taxes on auto sales.

Just a thought.
Al

·
Registered
207 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by albaby:
The transaction could be considered with the laws in effect at the time the sales transaction was signed-not at the time the money changed hands or the loan was approved or the vehicle was delivered.</font>
This wouldn't apply to me anyway since I live in Illinois and just re-read the relevant statute (carefully). A "retail sale" is defined as "the transfer of ownership or of title". That would necessitate the actual transfer of title to the vehicle or, at least, possession thereof.

I think it matters little anyway because it's a long shot that this bill will be enacted and, even if it is, states can opt out of it. For states that don't opt out, they're perfectly free to set guidelines for any tax-free sales and one could very well be that the purchaser must take possession of them item during the tax-free period.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I wanna hold my breath!!!!!!

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is a little "old", NOV 6th but points out many problems with this plan.

http://www.cbpp.org/11-1-01sfp.htm

However, My MB RES sits in the garage waiting a few more days to see if this dream comes true. Delaer is holding paperwork, title, plates etc till there is a direction or Nov 23. Which ever comes first.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Registering is free and worth it -- you get the complete contents of the best paper in the country for free (OK you WSJ people, don't let's start a thread on this). The article said the House leadership refused to attend a summit where the topic would be discussed, knowing neither side in the Senate had the 60 votes necessary to break thru proceedural roadblocks. (That's the gist, I think)

Really, don't hold your breath.

Rats.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts