Honda Odyssey Forum banner

No stopping automatic doors

2887 Views 17 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  albaby
Ok team, here is one for us. I cant seem to get my auto doors to stop if there is an obstruction. Isnt there supposed to be a sensor? Or does it just reverse it it hits something? My 2yr old almost got a hand caught in it. I have tried to obstruct the line of the door while in motion to no avial thus far. I know I should read the manuel..but hey, I dont ask for directions either.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
192 Posts
Too much force required is right. The force also has to be applied in a certain area (the rubber molding on the outer edge of the door). I think this is truly the reason so many can not stop the door... you're pushing in the "wrong" spot. Poor design, if you ask me.

I also have little ones, funny how that is with Ody owners. I now use a "paranoid" level of awareness when they are around the Ody. I wait until they are totally clear before I even THINK of closing the doors. I wait until the whole family is clear and then close the doors with the remote. Our children are also not allowed to close the doors, ever (they'll ALWAYS follow our rules
). Of course, this will not protect them completely... after all, they can still pull the door handles themselves and cause injury.

One of those cost/benefit things.

If you know for sure that you are making contact with the pressure sensor, but the door still does not stop... I think a trip to the dealer may be in order.

P.S. Real men don't ask for directions!

· Registered
192 Posts
Interesting. I could have sworn the saleman showed me the sensors on the molding when I purchased the Ody. Of course, we all know how knowledgeable those sales people can be.... I'm going to check this out on my Ody tonight. I honestly haven't looked at it since the day I purchased the Ody.

Car makers can certainly go overboard with "safety" items, but I still think the doors require too much resistance in order to reverse.

[This message has been edited by cmt4 (edited 10-24-2001).]

· Registered
192 Posts
I checked my doors last night ('01 EX). There is absolutely no "sensor" on the doors. I tested each side two times, for a total of four tests. In each test I put pressure on a different part of the door edge. In two tests I tried to stop the door early and in the other two tests, I tried to stop it later. In every test the door failed to reverse. This is also not how the doors originally operated... both my wife and I were successful in reversing the doors when we first purchased the Ody. This was done with an acceptable level of force.

The tests last night have me really worried. In all four tests I was able to stop the motion of the door, but the door motor was fighting me the whole time. As soon as I let go, the doors proceeded to close. These doors really rocked my body when I fought to stop them... something my wife and children would not have the strength to accomplish. I was worried about damaging the door motors, so I did not perform any more tests.

I will have my wife try a test today. If she can not reverse the doors, then we will be heading to the dealer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.