Honda Odyssey Forum banner

No VIN # before delivery

3953 Views 18 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  digger
Wow! This forum is incredible! We are taking delivery of our 01 MB EX sometime in "the middle" of this week.

They don't have a VIN# yet which is a little bit worrisome, but they say that's how their system works. True? No VIN# until the week of delivery? Are they just blowing smoke and setting us up for delay?
1 - 6 of 19 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by johnkalajian:
As I understood the process, the dealer gets the vin number shortly after the van is built and before shipment. It takes around ten days to get the van from the factory to the dealership. Dealer should have vin number before van is shipped.</font>
That's how I understood it as well. But the dealer is telling us that our EX is "coming in by the end of the month", which for them, translates to "by Friday". I don't know what the deal is. They don't have a vin#, but they know the EX is coming in. Strange.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by famguy:
The van should have all of it VIN #'s from the factory. The dealer does not need to install any tags. That's just odd to see the dealer doing that.</font>
I meant to write: they don't know the vin#, so we can't sign the contract, and I can't get my insurance setup on it; not that they need to add the vin# to the EX. And I thought they new the vin#s well before the vans actually arrived at the dealership.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Each dealer knows how many Ody's, LX or EX and color are due each month (i.e., their allotment) weeks in advance. The VIN is know as soon as the van is built. My dealer emailed me the VIN the day my van was built, even before they knew the shipping date.</font>
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">When we signed up for our van I was led to believe we would have a VIN # before the van got here. Then as it turned out, the van got here on time even though we had not received a VIN # before hand. Maybe the dealer had it and just didn't give it to us. I really don't know.

We were even told on Monday of the week that the van wouldn't arrive that week because it wasn't on their report. Then on Wednesday the van showed up.
</font>
Interestingly opposite answers. It seems like maybe some Honda dealerships are setup for the vin# before shipping deal, and some aren't? For those that got their vin# well in advance, were you on a waitlist? We aren't.

All I know is, the dealership is telling us they know how many vans are coming in within a given week and the colors and that's it. They get 15 a month and this is the end of the month.

Actually the dealership called today to tell us that some LXs came in and that on our early paperwork it said LX. But, he saw that we are buying the EX and that they are supposed to get another shipment by the end of the week.

[This message has been edited by digger (edited 06-26-2001).]

[This message has been edited by digger (edited 06-26-2001).]
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by johnkalajian:
As I understood the process, the dealer gets the vin number shortly after the van is built and before shipment. It takes around ten days to get the van from the factory to the dealership. Dealer should have vin number before van is shipped.</font>
You were all right, and our saleswoman lied to our face. We got our vin# today. Our van shipped two days ago and as of 5 pm today, there is no arrival date set, but the new car manager estimated "second week of July".

We are pretty p-oed at this point. If the van wasn't coming in for 3 weeks, then say so. Don't tell us it is coming in the following week when you know for a fact it is not. An SS EX came in that was available, but why should we take an SS when my wife wanted MB and was told it was coming in by the end of the month? Our saleswoman knew all along it wasn't going to come in that early.

On top of that, they never applied for financing for us - so our quoted interest rate was simply an educated guess by the sales manager. This is not a minor detail either as I have had some credit problems in the past so the interest rate is key to the monthly payment, and our ability to afford an EX.

I have cards in my hand that they haven't seen yet. I will divulge the details when they get played out. I'd love to write about them, but you never know who reads this board.

Stay Tuned.

Digger

[This message has been edited by digger (edited 06-29-2001).]
See less See more
I'll chronicle this is the proper dealer stories forum, but we are now the proud owners of a 01 MB EX - which we got from a different dealership, for the exact same deal, and the proper financing.

Amen.

Digger
1 - 6 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.