Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '07 recently developed a noise at start up in the passenger side rear panel which appears to be the rear AC. When the van is started with the rear AC on, what sounds to be a compressor, (almost like sticking something in a fan) will rattle and vibrate for about 30 seconds and then will quiet up and act normally until the next time the vehicle is shut off and re started. The van is under waranty still, but I'm just checking to see if anyone has had this issue before. I checked the TSB thread and didn't see anything mentioned. I'm pretty sure the rear AC compressor is about to puke..... Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
13,872 Posts
Since its a 07, if you are below 36K, take it in?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the plan, I have 31K miles so far. I was just checking to see if anyone else has had this problem before... I hadn't heard of any problems, just checking anyway. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Unless the 07 is different from the rest there is no rear compresser, just the evaporator and blower. Coolant from the compresser is split between the front and fear evaporators....

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had the same issue on my 06 EX-L RES. When the van would start, there was a loud clicking sound coming from the rear A/C. The dealer replaced the entire blower motor assembly. Thankfully I had the extended warranty or it would have run $1200.00!!!! BTW, my van had +/- 62K when the problem happened.

Jackleg1 said:
My '07 recently developed a noise at start up in the passenger side rear panel which appears to be the rear AC. When the van is started with the rear AC on, what sounds to be a compressor, (almost like sticking something in a fan) will rattle and vibrate for about 30 seconds and then will quiet up and act normally until the next time the vehicle is shut off and re started. The van is under waranty still, but I'm just checking to see if anyone has had this issue before. I checked the TSB thread and didn't see anything mentioned. I'm pretty sure the rear AC compressor is about to puke..... Any suggestions?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Sounds like a bad blower fan in the rear blower assembly. Possibly bad bearings in the blower.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for everyone's input. I just got back from the dealer and the problem was a faulty rear HVAC actuator. Part had to be ordered and is covered under waranty.
I also wanted to point out (this may have been covered on here..) there is a recall for A/T transmission vibration which can be addressed by reprogramming HDS units. The recall includes 07 through 09 models.

The family truckster will have both services done when the actuator comes in. Again, thanks for everyone's input.:cheers:

*edit* Now I see the nice long thread regarding the trans. issue...Reading owns me....:duh:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Post from Jackleg1 states it was a faulty rear HVAC actuator. I could not find any part under this name. Speaking
with a Honda parts person, they said it is probably a motor assembly. The most
likely components are the Motor assembly fan (PN 79220-SHJ-A02), motor assembly
mode (PN 79240-SHJ-A01) or the motor assembly air mix (PN 79260-SHJ-A01). Each
component ranges from $90 to $120. How do I determine which one it is without having
to replace each one by process of elimination?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Post from Jackleg1 states it was a faulty rear HVAC actuator. I could not find any part under this name. Speaking
with a Honda parts person, they said it is probably a motor assembly. The most
likely components are the Motor assembly fan (PN 79220-SHJ-A02), motor assembly
mode (PN 79240-SHJ-A01) or the motor assembly
79240-SHJ-A01r mix (PN 79260-SHJ-A01). Each
component ranges from $90 to $120. How do I determine which one it is without having
to replace each one by process of elimination?
Problem ended up being the actuator/motor assembly PN#79240-SHJ-A01 (the motor is actually an actuator motor)
which was replaced under warranty. Normally I would have installed the motor, but it was covered so I didn't have to touch it so I can't really give you any ideas on the replacement. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts