Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Noise on the 06 Ody ex-l - [new problem]

hi there fellow odyssey owners.
this is my first post although i have been reading the forum for a while now :)
bout 1000 kms ago my ody went for a A1 service but the van now makes a noise when accelerating between 1500 and 2500rpm, like a vibrating noise(only noticed after coming from a trip to the beach last weekend). not only, the steering wheel is shaking on the highway around 100km/h and the brakes make a weird noise specially when they are hot.
either than that the van runs perfectly :). btw shes just over 100k kms. i bought her off lease with 91k kms and i got 2 years warranty from the dealer :).
any one knows what might cause the noise?
the tyres are new as well(bout 9k kms) and i know i might need some brake job soon
any help is appreciated and i might take the ody to a different mechanic either than the dealer. since they messed up when i had the 07 civic...

other thing: the recalls on the us odyssey dont apply to the canadian one(although the odyssey is made in arizona). funny thing on this, is when the civic had a recal in the states about a serious problem in the rear left wheel, they only fixed(somewhat) after i whined alot... they didnt wanna to admit it because there was no recall at the time for that issue in canada...

·
Registered
52 Posts
bugs_bunny01 said:
[B

other thing: the recalls on the us odyssey dont apply to the canadian one(although the odyssey is made in arizona).[/B]
I believe you have your geography mixed up.

Odysseys are not made in Arizona - they're made in Alabama.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you are right. i was kind of sleepy when i wrote the post..
either then the geography correction, any ideas?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am not really an expert on this kind of stuff.

My first (and only) thought is to check wheel balance. If they rotated your tires, perhaps they knocked a weight off?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its possible. but what concerns me the most is the vibrating noise while idling or start moving between the 1500 and 2500rpms..

·
Registered
444 Posts
Have you checked the oil level? What did your service receipt say in terms of what they did?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it mentions that oil was replaced... the van was fine until after i went to the beach, and did 260kms of highway pretty much. the following day i noticed the vibration. but now that u mention that, the only time i felt that in the civic the oil change was overdue.. this was my first service since i got the van. although i have the record of all the services from the previous owner

found the receipt:
they did replace oil and filter, rotate and check tires, inspect exhaust system, , service the brakes, brake lines and hoses, suspension components, parking brake, fuel lines and fluids. i'm taking the van to be checked by a mechanic that i know this Saturday(my wife needs it during the week to go to work). somebody told me it could be the spark plugs... this early at 100k kms?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'd check the oil level, and make sure the filler cap is on tight (although if it was really loose, you'd have noticed oil everywhere by now).

The tire rotation is the likely cause of the steering vibration (the rear wheels may have been out of balance and not noticed before or they may have over torqued the lug nuts.)

I really doubt the spark plugs.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how about the cabin(inside the van) vibration and the loud noise(dont know how to describe it but its not normal) between the before mentioned rpms? that noise was not there before the trip on this past weekend...

·
Registered
444 Posts
that's why I'm suggesting to check the oil level. I would expect any new change to be due to recent service - oil change is something they did that could have an impact on the engine noise at a given RPM (and not speed) - if they didn't refill it properly.

Hey, it might be unrelated to the service. Without hearing the noise it is really hard to diagnose. If they really checked something on the exhaust, maybe the heat shield got bumped or loosened - that can make some nasty noise at specific RPMs

These are all just guesses.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have seen it, but dont they apply to US only? cuz the dealer ship told there were no recalls for the 06 dys. althouth engine vibration seems alot like this recall: TSB 06-083 Excessive Engine Vibration at Idle or Below 2,100 RPM

im printing the recall sheets and taking them with me to the dealer where i bought it and i have a 2 year warranty on her

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
one more thing. i only noticed yesterday,, but when in reverse and starting to accelarate to move back it makes a noise like rubber hitting something. only when i press the accelarator...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
talked to the dealer, going on tuesday for check and repair for all the issues i described. the guy at service dep was very helpfull. hopefully everything will be fixed and the van will be like new again.

im glad i got the extended warranty when i got this ody off lease...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just got reprot from the dealer ship and the brake rotors are in bad condition(arent they supposed to make sure they were 100% and they sold the vehicle to me? cuz i felt the vibration since i got it-i got the van off-lease) and they want $210 to replace them... i said no. an heat shield needs to be replaced(cuz of noise when in reverse) for $110 i said no, and 2 engine mounts are bad and the guy is gonna check if warranty will cover the replacement( i wonder why did i pay 1600 for 2 years extra of warranty)...well, the brakes and the heatshield i can get it done and cheaper somewhere else...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just got my ody back
i think the warranty extra that i got just paid it self... all 3 mount were replaced and a aux belt fixed. now just have to replace the front brakes.

all noises are gone. also have to replace a cat shield...

does anybody know how much it costs to replace the key fob?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
another update. my mechanic is quoting me 330 for brand new front rotors with labour and tax... honda was charging that without tax lol. i think the price is right
did anybody tried 91 octane gas on their odys? what a difference :D

btw
what are the best headlights that i can upgrade too withouth changing anything either than the bulbs?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Noise concern

not to long ago i posted here about a vibration and noises. 3 engines mounts replaced, brand new front rotors and this week i hear a noise(normally at night) only when accelarating(sounds like boiling water). today didnt hear it again. i know i need to replace the cat heat shield but....

another thing, my key fob is damaged and i thought of buying one of of ebay and just trade the circuit board from the old to the new one. good idea? bad idea?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts