Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Noise when turning steering wheel left or Right 2012 Ody.

120K views 45 replies 26 participants last post by  RoyonHarvey 
#1 ·
I just recently bought a 2012 Honda Ody. LX and when I turn Right or Left at low speed there is a clicking sound. I took it back to the dealer to get it checked out and all they said was to monitor it to see if if goes away or get worse. Does anyone else have this issue and if so what might be the problem? :huh::huh:

#2 ·
I've got the same issue on my 2012 just drove to Williamsburg Va. over the weekend and notice it in a parking lot. At slow speeds turning the wheel to the right I hear what sounds like the CV joint clicking. I need to bring it in and have Dealer look at it. The sound is clearly coming from the the outside under and close to the right wheel.

#6 ·
HONDA - Help Our New Dead Automatic
HONDA - Hopeless Overpriced Non Drivable Automobile
HONDA - Honda Onda Nda Da A (Daddy??????)
HONDA - Horrified Owner Needs Deal on Automatic

I'm really not feeling this way but negative acronyms are all I could come up with.

HYUNDAI - How You Undermine Nicer Drives And Infiltrate
KIA - Keep Infiltrating America

FORD - Falling Off Radar Definitely

GMC - God's Method of Carnage.

TTYL.

#7 ·
ACURA - Another Contemptible Use of Recycled Aluminum

#8 ·
Hyundai - how your usual nerd drives an import
Volvo - very odd looking vehicular object
Fiat - fix it again tony
Mitsubishi - mostly in the shop undergoing big investments sometimes halfway incomplete
Cadillac - carrying another dead Italian lying lifeless amongst cargo
Pinto - put in nickel to operate
Audi - always undergoing diagnostic inspections
Chevrolet - can hear every valve rap in long extended trips
Ford - **** our ride died (hoping to not offend with that one)

To the OP, it does sound classic for a failing CV joint.

#9 ·
#15 ·
Check out TSB 11-038 - Popping, Knocking, or Creaking in the Front While Turning at Low Speeds in the 2012 TSB thread.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-20...y-technical-service-bulletins.html#post692684

Let us know if it fixes your issue.
THANK YOU for this. I just had this TSB applied to my 2012 EX-L RES today and the knocking and creaking is gone. FWIW, it's about $25 in warranty work. The tech also said he couldn't reproduce it, but applied the grease anyway.

#14 ·
Any update from folks on this issue? I have a 2011 Oddy EX-L that has been having this creaking/springy sound coming from the front end its whole life. I've had our dealer do the TSB probably 3-4 times now and the sound is still there. Frankly, it seems to be a steering issue as I can generate the sound just by turning the steering wheel while not moving. Of course it didn't demo most recent time I was in, but now it's occurring almost 100% of the time, so probably time for another trip in.

Just wondering if anyone has heard about this same kind of noise being associated with a steering system issue (instead of the struts)... and if there's a fix our dealer should be investigating given the TSB hasn't worked.

#26 ·
Yes, that's on the level. If a CV joint is worn, it must be replaced. Adding grease would be an inappropriate action.

The grease mentioned in the TSB goes on the damper. It might produce the same noise, but it's a completely different problem from yours.

Dave

#28 ·
The best test for a bad outer CV joint is a slow drive (parallel parking speed) with the steering wheel at full turn. In that situation, the CV joint parts have to do two full end-to-end cycles per wheel revolution. A bad CV joint will expose itself in this stress test.

The test could be comfortably completed in 1 minute as it can be done in the parking lot.

Dave

#30 ·
Yes, accelerating while in the turn would would put even more stress on the CV joint.

Not only are the parts pushed quickly as the wheel rotates, but they are also forced against each other even more, possibly even lifting out of their tracks if the wear is advanced enough. That's the territory where breakage is possible, although it's rare because drivers don't normally accelerate with the steering wheel turned hard. (Have heard it happen when stuck in snow.)

Back to earth, it's understandable that a bad CV joint would click even louder under acceleration.

$250 per side installed is a good price. Is that using OE axles?

Dave

#32 ·
Your concern is well-founded. Even the best mechanics can miss a diagnosis.

One option would be to get an assessment from a dealer since they have access to the TSB that an independent mechanic may not. Unfortunately, they will likely charge you for the diagnosis. However, if they concur on the axles, they usually credit you the diagnostic fee.

Dave

#33 ·
Did you end up replacing your CV axles, and did it fix the problem? I've had the same problem for about 2 years. Tried the Shin -etsu grease on the damper - did nothing. Replaced both front struts - rides nicer but noise is still there the same as before. I'm thinking CV axles now, but can't find the passenger side one ANYWHERE (except the dealer for 4 times the price).

#34 ·
I didn't do anything with it. After more research it does seem like the axle. When it needed an inspection 6 months ago they said a boot was torn and I should do an axle. We only ended up popping on a new boot since I couldn't wait until they got the axle. The fact that the boot was torn meant debris got in and grease may have gotten out. At that time I didn't really know what any of this meant but now I researched.
Oh btw, you can get axles on Amazon.
I was thinking of this one for my driver side but I am not ready to do the job.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYU92FH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Kce3yb5W3PACW

#35 ·
Hello everyone, I'm bringing this thread back from the dead. It seems no one has been able to truly figure out the origin of this noise our cars are making. Mine is a '13 LX with 49K miles and it does exactly what everyone is describing (clicking/clunking noise after turning the wheels all the way while driving at low speeds). Even after trying the SB various times, people keep having the noise come back, so I don't think is the grease issue on the damper body and/or the damper shaft self-locking nut having low torque. Besides it already mentioning it probably being an axle or CV joint, I was wondering if it could also be an inner/outer tie rod or an end link. Only way to truly find out is to get a GoPro down there and record it while trying to replicate the noise. Has anyone come up with a solution yet?

#36 ·
I had the same squeaking noise while turning at low speed. Grease has been done twice since purchased new. Return to dealer with the same noise and lose steering. Turns out that it needed a new steering column. Warranty and extended warranty expired. $1100 fix on a 6 year old van that probably had the problem a long time ago. Honda helped with some of the cost but I'm still pissed.

#37 ·
I thought about the steering column too, but holy cow man, that's a whole lot of work and money to fix it. Makes one wonder if it's truly that. Sometimes I feel the dealers don't know crap what they are talking about and simply suggest anything to get the customer satisfied. Please let us know once you do the fix if the noise goes away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.