Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We test drove an EXL with DVD yesterday and were quite suprised with the bumpy and noisey ride of this van. Being all set to order one without leather we didn't because of the ride. This Odyssey vibrated and shook over every bump in the rode. The highway was quite loud with wind noise. Was this a unique experience? It had Michelin tires.

We then test drove a used 2000 and have driven a used 1999. Both rode like a dream compared to the new one. What am I missing?

[This message has been edited by Steve B (edited 11-11-2001).]

·
Registered
196 Posts
Your not missing anything Steve. It sounds like you just test drove my 02. Definitely louder and far more rattle prone than my 01.

------------------

See my Pics

Tom
2002 RP EXL-RES

·
Registered
75 Posts
I can't comment on the older models, but I was very disappointed to hear all the rattles when going over bumps in my 2002 EX-L-RES.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Steve B:
We test drove an EXL with DVD yesterday and were quite suprised with the bumpy and noisey ride of this van. Being all set to order one without leather we didn't because of the ride. This Odyssey vibrated and shook over every bump in the rode. The highway was quite loud with wind noise. Was this a unique experience? It had Michelin tires.

We then test drove a used 2000 and have driven a used 1999. Both rode like a dream compared to the new one. What am I missing?

[This message has been edited by Steve B (edited 11-11-2001).]
</font>

·
Registered
596 Posts
Different suspension calibration could be the problem. I understand they firmed up the springs and weakened the anti-roll bar, in the name of a better ride. It really makes no sense to me. I just wish they would put a little more science into getting rid of the "commotion" related to the road textures. Ody tells us it could be the tires (his new Dunlops seem to have improved his NVH) and that would be a start. The Japanese (although this is an American Honda design)seem to have a lot of trouble with that stuff. One of the magazines is running a long-term test on a Lexus IS300 (admittedly a performance model) and are REALLY down on it re terrible road noise. They say,"At 70 mph on an even moderately mottled road surface, the drumming through the tires will drive you right out of the car." Yes, it has performance tires, but they could do better. The Odyssey seems to be in the same boat. Those Dunlop SP Sport A2s sound better everyday.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
68 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tomhan:
Your not missing anything Steve. It sounds like you just test drove my 02. Definitely louder and far more rattle prone than my 01.

</font>
I'm begining to think that Honda Canada has two different production lines going at the plant.

My '02 is far quiter than my '00. Our 2000 model had panel buzzes, door rattles, and you could hear the road a bunch.

Our 2002 is quiet, very quit. We don't have any plastic panel buzzes, no dash rattles, etc. We did have a sliding door rattle, but I exterminated that bug right away.

Our engine has more of a throaty sound when we start it, but after that, it is quiet, smooth, and actually sounds better when pushed than the '00 (and it was GOOD too.)

I'm very, very picking when it comes to NVH (ask my wife - I drive her nuts), and right now I'm happy with this on the 2002 Odyssey.

Now I understand that a vehicle with a full frame, big fat tires, etc (i.e. a suburban, tahoe, expedition, etc) may be a *little bit* quieter than a vehicle with a unibody and lower profile tires, but then I sacrifice the handling.

I would rate the '02 Odyssey as very solid and quiet considering it's a box. I would rate it right up there with my 2000 Acura 3.2 TL - and that is saying something considering the Acura line is supposed to be more of a "luxury" line and the fact that it is a car with a smaller interior that should be easier to insulate for noise and control rattles.

Just my $0.02. Obviously some of us are getting different results from the 2002's.

Greg

[This message has been edited by Razorback (edited 11-11-2001).]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I've kinda wondered if the "noisy" ones were more evident in places like the snow belt, for instance, where the roads are so bad and make the little noises more irritating.

Does that theory seem to have any validity?

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Registered
301 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ckonarske:
I've kinda wondered if the "noisy" ones were more evident in places like the snow belt, for instance, where the roads are so bad and make the little noises more irritating.

</font>
You could be right Chuck. I'd also add that the colder temperatures would make the rubber components and seals more rigid and provide less dampening.

·
Registered
478 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
Ody tells us it could be the tires (his new Dunlops seem to have improved his NVH) and that would be a start.
Those Dunlop SP Sport A2s sound better everyday.

Jerry O.

</font>
Let me clarify a bit after putting a few more miles on the new tires.
They are definitely quieter as far as tire noise goes, but I can't help noticing that our Ody does not handle what I call "expansion joints" on our So. Cal fwys well at all! Some fwys are basically concrete slabs and everywhere they join together is a slight high spot. Depending on your particular car, they may be completely unobtrusive or they may be a major annoyance.
I thought my Accord (with substantial mods to the suspension) was pretty bad, but I'm afraid Ody is possibly worse
We took our '96 Windstar to church this AM and it was WAY ahead of the Ody in this specific area! Unbelievable how much of a difference!
Seems like Honda has a bit more work to do in this area.
Don't get me wrong however, the overall handling and ride of Ody is great, but this is a glaring weakness.
Hmmmm...wonder if those H&R springs might help? Maybe some Bilsteins, sway bars etc.

------------------
'02 RRP EX NAV
Mudguards,cargo tray,Weathertech mats, Bug deflector, lampguards, gold emblems,
17" TSW Spirit wheels with 235/55 Dunlop Sport A2 tires
More stuff on the way...
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well Ody there is two ways to approach suspension.

1. Softly damped springs an shocks to produce an softer more comfortable ride. Downside is sloppier handling and more body roll.

2. More stiffly sprung and lower profile tires to give better road feel and handling. Downside is a more jarring ride.

I have yet to see a set up that offers both worlds.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well, I was somewhat dismayed to start hearing a rattle from the driver-side sliding door on my '02 EX-L, after 670 miles. I could swear I haven't heard it prior to today. Sounds like a loose cable that's under tension 'twanging' at a low frequency. Only over road imperfections, but there are plenty of those in suburbia. Shame. If I ever get the time maybe I'll try some of the tricks suggested on this forum. Otherwise a very 'tight' vehicle.

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Canodyssey:

1. Softly damped springs an shocks to produce an softer more comfortable ride. Downside is sloppier handling and more body roll.

2. More stiffly sprung and lower profile tires to give better road feel and handling. Downside is a more jarring ride.

</font>
I drove a friends' BMW X5 and it sure seemed to have both. Very nice!

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Registered
68 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ckonarske:

</font>
I think it probably does. I also think that temperature and humidity can make a difference. Here in Arkansas, we still have enough humidity and relative warmth to keep the plastic and rubber pieces softer, so I will know more when winter sets in.

Regarding road conditions, we live in the country, and the "paved" road that our home is on is what we call "chip and seal". It's just tar with some gravel on top. It is a very course surface and will bring out the buzzes in just about anything. I have been a passenger in a 2000 Jaguar Vanden Plas and the big Lexus Sport Ute on our road and both had a couple of buzzes. Our 2002 Odyssey is actually the only vehicle I have driven on our road that so far hasn't buzzed. That may change when ol man winter comes to town!

Greg

·
Registered
478 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Canodyssey:

</font>
I agree that there is often somewhat of a tradeoff, but there are some cars out there that have achieved a remarkable balance between ride comfort and handling prowess. The Germans in particular seem to have this down to a science as Chuck mentioned re: BMW X5. Porsche also is well known for providing reasonable ride comfort (suspension compliance, NVH isolation etc.) while maintaining legendary handling performance.
I have to say that our Lexus ES300 exhibited an excellent balance between luxury car ride and sports sedan handling. Not to mention it was easily the quietest car I have ever been in, much less owned!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well I guess I dont have as much experience with BMW, Lexus and Porshe cars.

But then again I don't see too many Boxsters taking 4x8 sheets away from Home Depot...

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I picked up my 02-RES I noticed it had several rattles. I had read it this forum about people receiving their ody's with high air pressure, I checked the air and found 46lbs of pressure in each tire. After lowering each to the correct pressure I haven't heard a single rattle since.

At 1000 miles I still find it hard to believe I'm actually driving a minivan and liking it.

Cornfed

·
Registered
56 Posts
My 02 Ody is very bumpy. I can stand on the noise level because my ex-MPV was terrible. I drive Fwy 57 and 60 in So. Cal. a lot. The road conditions are terrible on these two freeways. If I take other freeways, the bumpy situation reduces at least 50%. In terms of ride confort, Ody is obviously behind Sienna. The handling is, however, excellent.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We live in central NY so we have a fair share of bumpy roads, and our new 02 EX-L RES is very quiet. I haven't detected any rattles, squeeks, or buzzes yet. I may check the air pressure though, the tires seem a bit "hard".

What is the recommended air pressure?

·
Registered
37 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Razorback:
I'm begining to think that Honda Canada has two different production lines going at the plant.

My '02 is far quiter than my '00. Our 2000 model had panel buzzes, door rattles, and you could hear the road a bunch.

Our 2002 is quiet, very quit. We don't have any plastic panel buzzes, no dash rattles, etc. We did have a sliding door rattle, but I exterminated that bug right away.

Our engine has more of a throaty sound when we start it, but after that, it is quiet, smooth, and actually sounds better when pushed than the '00 (and it was GOOD too.)

I'm very, very picking when it comes to NVH (ask my wife - I drive her nuts), and right now I'm happy with this on the 2002 Odyssey.

Now I understand that a vehicle with a full frame, big fat tires, etc (i.e. a suburban, tahoe, expedition, etc) may be a *little bit* quieter than a vehicle with a unibody and lower profile tires, but then I sacrifice the handling.

I would rate the '02 Odyssey as very solid and quiet considering it's a box. I would rate it right up there with my 2000 Acura 3.2 TL - and that is saying something considering the Acura line is supposed to be more of a "luxury" line and the fact that it is a car with a smaller interior that should be easier to insulate for noise and control rattles.

Just my $0.02. Obviously some of us are getting different results from the 2002's.

Greg

[This message has been edited by Razorback (edited 11-11-2001).]
</font>
My Acura TL is so quiet compared to the Odyssey...but then again we are comparing apples and oranges. I think the cavernous interior and additional flexing of the Odyssey has alot to do with the increase in NVH.

------------------
2000 Acura Nighthawk Black Pearl TL
1993 Ford Explorer

·
Registered
12 Posts
For what it's worth I took my EXL-RES to the dealer last week to have them check on the suspension rattle and look at the stuck pixels on the LCD. Looks like the LCD is going to be a battle, but it's not really a big deal. As far as the suspension/road noise goes, I took two techs for a drive and we all heard the same noise. They put it on the lift and checked everything they could think of (shocks, struts, etc.) and everything looked OK. They were very nice and very helpful, but the conclusion was it's just the way the sound carries through the body of the car. I had them drive and I rode in the back, and I couldn't hear the sounds I was hearing in the driver and passenger seats. At this point I'm just going to monitor the sounds and see if it gets any worse, but I satisfied my only real concern which was something structurally wrong with the car that might create a safety issue. In any event, if anyone comes up with a miracle cure or something substantial from a mechanic, please let everyone know.

------------------

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi,

Just thought I would chime in again. On the same day, same road we test drove a 2000 and 2002 Odyssey. The results were noticably different in the 2002. It was noisey and bumpy. Although I suppose one could say the upside was we had a lot of control. But, we have a 626 and it drives us nutz with all of the road bumps and noise. We just don't want another vehicle ride like that.

Yes, roads in the Northeast quite bluntly suck. All the more reason that vehicle suspension is critical if you want to enjoy your Sunday drives with screaming kids ;=).

THANKS for the discussion. Should I buy a used 2001 or a new 2002? What to do????

1 - 20 of 23 Posts