Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you guys seem to be pretty well knowledgeable about car audio in general, so I thought this was as good a spot as any to post my question.

I have a Toyota pickup that I drive daily. Head unit went out this morning. The original unit is nothing fancy, just a AM/FM receiver. I want to replace it with something decent, reasonably cheap, and that fits well into the truck. I called Crutchfield and the guy suggested a Kenwood on both a cassette or CD. They were cheap, but I want someone's opinion on quality.

Anyone care to give an opinion on either Kenwood or another brand to consider? The Kenwood cassette thing runs about $80 at Crutchfield. Cd runs about $130.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
My 2 cents:
In this price range, shop by features and price. As long as you stick with a fairly reputable brand, like Kenwood, Pioneer, Clarion, Panasonic, Alpine, Sony etc.. You're not going to see big differences in SQ, esp if you stick with factory speakers. Avoid off brands like Kraco and the like.

I'd advise you to focus on user interface/ergonomics, and particular features you feel are necessary for you.

$80 is not bad. Stick with tape if that's all you listen to. I don't even have a tape deck at home anymore, so I use CDs exclusively, something to consider.

Check www.pricescan.com and www.pricegrabber.com for prices to compare with Crutchfield, they are not that cheap, though their service is excellent, and they include everything you need for a clean, easy self-install.

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I knew you would respond at some point Shinjohn.

My radio magically started working again, so until it goes out for good I'm back in shape. I was leaning towards Crutchfield only because they supplied everything, including directions for taking apart my dash, which I haven't done on the truck before.

I would just get a AM/FM to replace it, without anything, but that isn't really an option. If I got something to actually use I guess I would get CD as well, but price will probably be the issue since this isn't the ride that we use much.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by turnipgreen:
Thanks, I knew you would respond at some point Shinjohn.

My radio magically started working again, so until it goes out for good I'm back in shape. I was leaning towards Crutchfield only because they supplied everything, including directions for taking apart my dash, which I haven't done on the truck before.

I would just get a AM/FM to replace it, without anything, but that isn't really an option. If I got something to actually use I guess I would get CD as well, but price will probably be the issue since this isn't the ride that we use much.
</font>
Hey no problem. Sorry I've been away from the boards; my family experienced a 2nd round of a nasty stomach virus this week, so haven't been in front of a computer much (and even more sleep deprived than usual.. eek!).

One last thought is to get an old Toyota radio from a salvage yard... Could save $$ this way if/when your current unit gives out for good.

Just a thought. Good luck!

------------------
-Shin John

·
1,484 Posts
From my past experience with Toyotas I've noticed that their headunits usually crap out (in some form or another) within two years or so. Some of symptoms I've seen are:

- Max volume decreases substantially over time.
- Tapes get eaten by tape deck.
- Problems reading CDs (skips/errors).

These were based on a 92 Previa, 88 Tercel, and a 89 Pickup Truck. My advice is to keep on looking. And I agree with Shin John about focusing on the interface/ergonomic differences and sticking w/ the more known brands. As for Kenwoods...their buttons are a bit small for my tastes. Try finding a place where you could actually try the units out. The pictures in Crutchfield are really nice but sometimes misleading.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a 95 accord ex w/ an am/fm cassette player. I want to get a cd player for it. I know that I can add a cd to the factory radio in place of the tray below the radio. Will other year models(factory) am/fm cd head units fit in the factory radio slot? Will they use the existing brackets and wireing harneses? There are plenty of these on ebay.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by indian:
I have a 95 accord ex w/ an am/fm cassette player. I want to get a cd player for it. I know that I can add a cd to the factory radio in place of the tray below the radio. Will other year models(factory) am/fm cd head units fit in the factory radio slot? Will they use the existing brackets and wireing harneses? There are plenty of these on ebay.</font>
The answer is yes, provided you get the right radio. '94-'97 Accords use a different radio harness than the '98+. Find a CD player pre-'98 Accord and you will be OK. The year cut off varies depending on the Honda model....

------------------
-Shin John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts