Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have yet to see a front facing carseat with a non-twist harness strap. Does any car seat manufacturer off this feature? How wide is the strap? Can I replace my current strap for one of these non-twist harness strap?

Just to warn you: I did a search for:
non twist harness strap

I ended up with sex toys results!!!

MMCD

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
The Britax seats. The very first thing I noticed when I saw them was the straps. They are wide and will not twist, and the design of the latch mechanism also contributes to that.

I hate the cheesy straps that twist into oblivion the moment you use the seat for the first time.

That, plus a few other things, lead me to the Britax.

I can't wait to see if/when they make the Super Elite with LATCH.

Britax rules.

I have a Fisher Price Futura 20/60, which I bought when it was the ONLY piece on the market to use the full 5 point harness up to 6 yrs/60 pounds. Its webbing is pitiful. If we use it regularly, it'll go to garbage inside a month, even with the most careful of use.

I don't understand people putting up with junk car seats. Many people buy on price. Well, I won't put a price on my son's head like that. The best car seat is the one that's used properly every time, and difficult straps get in the way of that.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
No-twist webbing may be no wider in many cases, but they may feel thicker or heavier. Having a two-piece chest clip rather than the one-piece "paper clip" style also helps reduce twisting. Finally, the routing of the straps behind the seat can also promote or reduce twisting. The Fisher Price Safe Embrace convertible models tend not to twist, much like some Britax models. Others vary in degrees. Our Cosco Triad tends to twist less than a Cosco Touriva, which is essentially identical except for the chest clip. Some carseat manufacturers will sell you a 2-piece chest clip if you call them, but please only use one from the manufacturer of your carseat which is approved for your model. Our Century Next Step DX combination seat has straps that resist twisting fairly well, unlike our Cosco High Back booster which was horrible in that regard.

At carseat checkups, untwisting straps is one of the most tedious and time-consuming tasks. Worse is that you know the parent will let it twist again, even after you've explained that the pressure applied to the child in a crash increases greatly as the area of the straps decreases...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have two different car seats The FP Safe Embrace II and Evenflo Comfort Touch. I have a very difficult time with the comfort touch, the straps are always tangling. I called the company and they sent me new straps, supposedly a better material to prevent tangling. It seems no different to me! I love the Safe Embrace II! The straps never tangle on it! I only wish it had LATCH! I would definately recommend the FP seat! The only problem is that they are no longer making car seats which is too bad because I would buy one that has LATCH.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have had no problems with twisting straps since I got the Century Breverra Ascend. As Caviller said earlier, it has the two-piece chest clip instead of the lower-end Breverra paper-clip style strap. I realized when I read this post that I have not had to flatten, untwist, or unfold any straps since we got this seat. Plus, my son cannot get the two piece clip undone, so he doesn't mangle the straps in that area. I know others have discussed Fisher Price and Britax as the best, and they probably are, but I am very happy with this Century seat. And using the EZ Latch has made it a joy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts