Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Costo 100 month battery died after 12 months. I thnk a cell shorted.

Good news, they gave me a full refund, not a pro-rated one.

Does anyone know what the normal battery drain is during standby (car off, lights off, doors closed, garage door closed, TV on in the living room, watching the Lakers).

I measured 250 mA, not sure if that's high or not. The new battery (from Costco) had 12.58 volts out of the box, and the next morning, after no operation was still at 12.5 volts, so I'm assuming the drain is normal, but I was just curious.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After reading some other posts on leaving the light switch on, it seems that an overdrained battery can be damaged. I never ran into it before, and indeed used the old recharger more than once to recover from an All Lights On scenario. I guess the costco battery must have tanked and failed that test.

Still, I'm wondering if 250 mA is normal. I've heard of other owners (years) say they can't leave their doors open or it drains the battery (even with the light switch off) but for 10 years we've gotten away with it.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Don't bother measuring the drain. Replace the battery and forget the whole episode.

The reason is that it takes a while before the drain will stabilize to something reasonable (i.e. less than 40mA). That time is quite long.

I know because I went through this with Odyssey. Same Costco battery; similar duration in which it failed; drove me nuts for couple of weeks before I just got the new battery.

- Vikas

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I replaced the battery right away after it didn't take a charge. I was just worried that something else was up and that I was going to ruin the new one.

I did check that while idling the car's charging system had about 14.5 VDC on the battery, so I know it's charging. But the wifes car sits in the garage a lot, so I wanted to be sure that the drain rate I was observing was normal.

All seems well now anyway, no click click clicking when the wife tries to head out.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
When I had that suspect battery, it used to go dead if the van was not used for 3 days in a row. Those problems were solved after I replaced it. We just came back from 10 days vacation and the van started right up.

Since you have already replaced the battery, you will be fine.

- Vikas

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
250 ma is high, but I bet it'll sink to 20-40ma after 5-20 minutes.

If you want to check that, you need to leave the multimeter in the circuit continuously for that time. I'm pretty sure that timer restarts if the power is cut(as you put the multimeter in the circuit, for instance).

I think there's a thread or two with this topic covered :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts