Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Normal Engine Noise?

4747 Views 16 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  bluecivic107
We recently purchased a nice 2010 Odyssey with little over 100K miles on it. We took it to our trusted independent mechanic and suggested we did the 100K mile maintenance on it, including the timing belt package (water pump, tensioner etc) and also had them do a valve adjustment in both banks.
The manager told me that he got it fully adjusted but that there was still some “typical” Honda engine noises coming from it.
As I’m new to Odysseys, I’m not sure if it is. I’ve done a ton of research here and well...everywhere to come up with more questions. Would someone mind assisting me on evaluating this noise as to if I should get a second opinion in the noise or if it’s par for the course and I can stop worrying about it. Also, if the videos are not helpful, let me know and I’ll try to shoot more. Thanks in advance!

video1: 2010 Honda Odyssey Engine 1

video 2: 2010 Honda Odyssey Engine Sound 2
Reactions: zebeey
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,263 Posts
Sounds like maybe there's a heat shield rattling? Somewhat common problem.

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,263 Posts
Thanks for the response & forgive my lack of understanding, but is that something that needs to be repaired?
What most people do is they just clamp it with a hose clamp to tighten it up and prevent it from rattling.

· Registered
883 Posts
We recently purchased a nice 2010 Odyssey with little over 100K miles on it. We took it to our trusted independent mechanic and suggested we did the 100K mile maintenance on it, including the timing belt package (water pump, tensioner etc) and also had them do a valve adjustment in both banks.
The manager told me that he got it fully adjusted but that there was still some “typical” Honda engine noises coming from it.
As I’m new to Odysseys, I’m not sure if it is. I’ve done a ton of research here and well...everywhere to come up with more questions. Would someone mind assisting me on evaluating this noise as to if I should get a second opinion in the noise or if it’s par for the course and I can stop worrying about it. Also, if the videos are not helpful, let me know and I’ll try to shoot more. Thanks in advance!

video1: 2010 Honda Odyssey Engine 1

video 2: 2010 Honda Odyssey Engine Sound 2
Is it EX or EXL model?

Valve adjustment at 100k?? Did you noticed any difference in engine performance?

My 2010 have noise very similar to this. May be little less. Have 103k on it (EX model). The noise level changes with different type of oil. Tried Mobil1, castrol, pennzoil, amsoil and Royal Purple. Mobil 1 makes it really loud and Royal purple makes it really quiet. In my case, no loose heat shield. Also read that(here in this forum) with valve adjustment, it might make little bit more noise. Just don't think too much and drive it. None of the oils made any issue with engine and all brands worked fine. For next oil change, take it to dealership and they will tell you if anything needs attention.

· Registered
2010 EX-L
5,458 Posts
I listened to your two videos. I would not say the sound is normal. I actually hear two different sounds - a bearing or valve train type sound and a knocking sound.

Does the sound change with RPMs? Does if change when the engine warms us vs a cold engine?

You may want to try to isolate the noise using a stethoscope type device such as a hose or a long screwdriver or metal rod. Be very careful not to get caught up in the parts.

See if you can isolate it to one particular component such as power steering pump, tensioner, alternator, etc... I assume you checked the level of your oil and transmission fluid?

Did it sound like this before you had the timing belt and valve adjustment done?

Unrelated to your noise, if your Odyssey is EX-L or Touring you have the VCM engine and should disable the VCM with a muzzler device.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone - it is an EX.
The noise seems to be more predominant when it is cool and the “knocking” you mentioned seems to stay consistent with the RPM increase/decrease. The noise, after TB replacement and Valve Adjustment didn’t seem to make a significant difference in my opinion.

how do I go about utilizing this Muzzler device and what is the significance of the disabled VCM?

· Registered
2010 Odyssey EX, Canadian
1,349 Posts
I hear some knocking. Not valves, something else. Hard to tell.
Take it to experienced mechanics, let them inspect it with stethoscope

· Registered
883 Posts
The noise seems to be more predominant when it is cool and the “knocking” you mentioned seems to stay consistent with the RPM increase/decrease. The noise, after TB replacement and Valve Adjustment didn’t seem to make a significant difference in my opinion.

how do I go about utilizing this Muzzler device and what is the significance of the disabled VCM?
You don't need muzzler device for the EX engine. It runs on 6 cylinders all the time.

· Registered
2010 EX-L
5,458 Posts

As said, you do not have the VCM engine. Consider yourself fortunate. As long as you have the EX model and not EX-L. Your engine cover does not have “VCM” on it, so that supports you having the EX model.

· Registered
'08 EX-L
282 Posts
I would venture to say it does not sound like you have anything to worry about it. Some of it sounded to me like accessory belt, there seems to be some rattle that could be a exhaust heat shield indeed. But definitely nothing sounds bad. You said your indie mechanic is trusted. I would trust them. And yeah, congrats. You dodged the VCM bullet. Your engine will last a really long time. Had I known these thisbefore, I would not have gotten EX-L. Guess I am paying for desire to have leather :(.

Here some sample of bad sounds for ya:

1) rod knock

2) bad timing :

3) Valve lifters tap:

Enjoy

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Those videos helped me feel a little better - LOL! Yes, the Independent shop we go to usually does great work, they show what they do with photos and videos, and are honest with me on things.
I suppose I did dodge that bullet as I never did research between model types of the 2010, never suspecting engine changes between models. Thanks for everyone’s feedback. If I do happen to take it in, I’ll update everyone.

· Registered
2010 EX-L
5,458 Posts
Consider doing what I suggested to isolate the source of the noise. You could also temporarily remove the serpentine belt and run the engine to see if the noise changes or goes away.
I would get a second opinion but not from a dealership.

· Registered
1,321 Posts
Video 1 sounds good to me.....video two has a lot of background noise....hard to distinguish.

· Registered
1 Posts
Our 2007 LX makes the same sound, has for quite awhile. I believe it is a lifter noise, also had our trusted mechanics say not to worry about it. Does yours get quieter when the engine warms up? Mine does. Engine as 188,000 on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.