Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI, you might want to take a look at how your spare tire is mounted in the comfort of your own driveway before you actually have to learn the hard way, probably out in the rain.

I've looked at mine before, but never actually removed it, so I thought it might be a good idea to go through with the whole removal and replacement routine and also add some air to the spare at the same time.

Well, much on the Ody is a bit underdone, EXCEPT the spare tire mounting. They started out with a very nice storage well (although a little more soundproofing wouldn't have hurt), but in their infinite wisdom they decided it would be best to mount the tire upside down, where of course you can't access the tire valve. Then they bolted it down in a place where it's almost impossible to reach. Then, they added a very nicely done plastic storage "tub" that fits into the back of the wheel as it sits upside down, probably to put lug nuts in when changing a tire, but the tub barely fits into the available space. Then when they found out the lid fit fairly well, they extended the driver's seat rail so it intruded on opening the lid and topped it all off with a tether to hold up the lid that will barely reach anything. Do I sound sarcastic, yet? This is not something you want to deal with out on a dark, rainy back road.

The whole setup isn't terrible, it's just unnecessarily complicated, so here's what I did: Take out the tub (More on that later). Remove the bolt. You don't need it, mine was loose and the wheel wasn't rattling. Remove the wheel, lay it down on the ground, right side up on an old bath towel. I was able to wrap the towel so it formed a sling to lift the wheel and replaced it in the well right side up. It slides very nicely on the towel into the well and now I can check the air occasionally without having to do unpleasant surgery in the back seat. The wheel will just slide out now when I lift the lid and just grab the towel and pull up. Honda shoulda thought of this. Much more convenient and probably even a bit safer, you're less likely to sprain your back getting it out. Plus, now there's a towel to kneel on and clean up with when doing the tire change thing.

Back to the tub. I left it and the bolt out, but it just occurred to me that it may be able to be flipped upside down under the wheel, thus leaving it available for whatever. I'm gonna go try it. Be back in a few.......

Okay, I'm back. That worked; the tub fits upside down under the wheel. Now here's the best part: it only took me two minutes flat to open the car, open the well, remove the wheel and put it out on the ground, lift it up, fit the tub, re-wrap the wheel in the towel and replace everything! No way would I have been able to do that with the wheel mounted the stock way. AND, I have a little more sound absorbing material in the form of the towel in the well. Try it, you'll like it!

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 09-07-2001).]

·
Registered
255 Posts
Excellent as always, Chuck!! I'm somewhat disappointed, though...I was expecting you to say you'd figured out how to install NASCAR-style air jacks on each corner of your Ody to negate the need for using a manual jack!

------------------
David
'01 GG EX-NAVI
Classic Soft Trim leather kit; Audiovox entertainment system; Gentex auto dimming compass/temp rear view mirror; Pioneer speakers front & rear; leather steering wheel wrap; splash guards; cargo tray; cargo liner; power door mods; Helm manual; Honda litter bag.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
What? No pics??

Slacker.

I hate the way the spare is mounted. Luckily you don't have to use it often. Thanks for the tip!

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by groupset:
Excellent as always, Chuck!! I'm somewhat disappointed, though...I was expecting you to say you'd figured out how to install NASCAR-style air jacks on each corner of your Ody to negate the need for using a manual jack!

</font>
Well, actually I DID figure out how to do that
, but I figured it would be a waste because now that the spare is easy to remove, I'll probably NEVER have a flat! ....he said as he lightly knocks on the wood top of his computer desk.....

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have not looked closely at the spare set up, so this is not a completely "informed" comment...

By removing the bolt do you create a hazard during a crash? Can the spare now flip out of the well and do more damage during a serious accident?

I don't plan on being in an accident (who does) and would like to try this great tip. However, I don't want a big piece of metal and rubber flying around if it does happen.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cmt4:
I have not looked closely at the spare set up, so this is not a completely "informed" comment...

By removing the bolt do you create a hazard during a crash? Can the spare now flip out of the well and do more damage during a serious accident?

I don't plan on being in an accident (who does) and would like to try this great tip. However, I don't want a big piece of metal and rubber flying around if it does happen.
</font>
I suppose it's possible, but it seems very unlikely. The well cover has a latch on it and the well actually extends about halfway forward under the fold-down tray so that even if the van was upside down and the latch on the well lid failed, the wheel wouldn't likely come out. Maybe, but it doesn't seem like much of a probability. Something to consider, though.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
564 Posts
You are a wise man, Chuck. And I say this with confidence, because you do the same thing I do
: With each new car, I actually change a wheel before I own it more than a week or so. When I get a flat, I am the hero for being able to change it so fast. VERY few people even know where their wheel or jack is hiding! Plus, my last car, a Volvo, included a lug wrench that would not remove the wheels nuts. Nice.

Great tip. If you want to be really slick, you can purchase a little nipple extension hose, so you just route the hose into an easily accessible spot to check the air every few months (something else few people think of doing).

- Darell

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by darelldd:

Great tip. If you want to be really slick, you can purchase a little nipple extension hose, so you just route the hose into an easily accessible spot to check the air every few months (something else few people think of doing).

- Darell
</font>
Thanx. I was considering getting a hose like you mentioned. That was one thing that got me looking into the whole spare tire business. Now with the wheel turned right side up, I don't think the hose will be necessary anymore.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
564 Posts
The best mods are the ones that are free...

- Darell

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
564 Posts
Yeah...just one question Chuck:

Is your Ody parked in your livingroom? That looks suspiciously like carpet on the ground.

- Darell

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cmt4:

</font>
Perhaps I'm a bit conservative, but I'd feel alot safer with a bolt holding down the spare in a crash. The latch on the cover doesn't seem too robust to me, and the sheer mass of the tire as a projectile worries me if you were in a high speed crash.....

Chuck, do you know the size of the thread on the bolt? My guess is that you could get another (longer) thumb screw that would work with the tire upside down, into the factory mount. Only issues would be whether there's enough vertical clearance with the tire upside down for the thumb screw head, and trying to find the factory mount with the screw over such a long length. It'd be really difficult to align the screw blind to the floor thread over such a long length, and that's probably one of the main reasons why Honda mounted the thing upside down.

Anyhow, it is a great idea though; show's how much you are always thinking about making things better. Are you sure you weren't a designer in a past life?

Keep up the great work!
-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by darelldd:
Yeah...just one question Chuck:

Is your Ody parked in your livingroom? That looks suspiciously like carpet on the ground.

- Darell
</font>
No, but it's not far from the living room. That's a garage mat covering the floor. Makes it much easier to clean up the messes I make out there.
A little push with a broom and it's nice and clean.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shinjohn:

Chuck, do you know the size of the thread on the bolt? My guess is that you could get another (longer) thumb screw that would work with the tire upside down, into the factory mount. Only issues would be whether there's enough vertical clearance with the tire upside down for the thumb screw head, and trying to find the factory mount with the screw over such a long length. It'd be really difficult to align the screw blind to the floor thread over such a long length, and that's probably one of the main reasons why Honda mounted the thing upside down.

</font>
I definitely know where you're coming from with your discomfort about the unbolted tire. Your fears are probably at least somewhat justified, but once you've tried to remove that thing on purpose you'll realize how remote it is that it could come out in an accident. Not impossible, but VERY remote.

I'm not very fluent in recognizing metric thread sizes and pitches, so I can't tell what size the bolt is, but it's somewhat larger in diameter than a 1/4-20. I'm sure it could be replaced by a longer bolt. You would need something to guide it into the female thread because it's even hard to get the short one started with the wheel in the normal position.

Another way around the problem would be to rig up another retainer of some sort. It doesn't look too hard to do.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
596 Posts
Good ideas. I used the extension hose on my Chevy Citation, which also had a "buried" spare.

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX

·
Registered
861 Posts
lol....well, your asking "Honda should have thought of this..." has one flaw....DO you realize how much Bath Towels cost, even if they are on sale?

------------------
Owner:
1991 Civic Si, Intercooled turbo DOHC ZC visit @: <A HREF="http://turbocivic.8m.com
2000" TARGET=_blank>http://turbocivic.8m.com
2000</A> Odyssey LX, working on lots of mods visit @: <A HREF="http://trickedodyssey.8m.com
1991" TARGET=_blank>http://trickedodyssey.8m.com
1991</A> Civic Hatch (basemodel) winter car, bolt on mods. visit @: http:/trickedodyssey.8m.com/91civicbase.html

Any questions related to honda and your ODY? just email me! [email protected]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TrickedOdyssey:
lol....well, your asking "Honda should have thought of this..." has one flaw....DO you realize how much Bath Towels cost, even if they are on sale?

</font>
OMAHGAWD! How could I have missed THAT? And to make matters even worse, I then changed the engineering spec to a BEACH TOWEL!!! Honda will never go for such an expensive mod!
Hmmm.... maybe they'd go for a silk ribbon to help lift the spare like in portable radio battery compartments....

Seriously, though. No matter whether you intend to make any changes to how the spare is stored, you'll all be doing yourselves a big favor by unloading and reloading that sucker in your driveway. That was a surprise I'm glad I didn't have to experience for the first time on the road somewhere.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
564 Posts
I think I'm gonna put the spare up on the roof behind my array of 16 Ralley lights. Going for the Forerunner look, don'tcha know.

Then, I can use that nice bowl in the floor as a hot tub. I've already got the extra towel.

Sorry. I just woke up.

-d

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yo, Darell, I just saw a minivan (I think it was a Windstar) the other day with a spare tire on the roof rack. I thought that would be something real trendy (everyone on the block would want one, if the right person said it was cool).

For my personal use, I think I will go with the spare mounted on the rear hatch, ala Ess-Ewe-Vees. I think a fella could do it with a coupla long metal screws (could go for all five). One o' those white lettered tires would look real good back there.

That well in the floor would then make a great place to store some loose tools and stuff.

Just thinkin'(we do that ever' now and then, out here on the coast).

Jerry O.
2001 GG LX

1 - 20 of 24 Posts