Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my -03 Odyssey.
It is not firing on the 3rd cylinder at low rpm. I'm getting random misfires code and misfire on 3rd then all six. no other codes.
My dealer and Honda has looked at it for days and can't get it to work right.
I replaced the Egr valve and cleaned ports, fuel injector, Coil, cleaned intake manifold (clogged). Fuel pressure is good. Compression is good. When driving about 2000 rpm the engine is rumbling and stuttering like its not getting enough fuel.
It runs kinda good at higher rpm above 3000.
Dealer took snapshots of the data and said it look weird but all sensors are ok.
Now they want to try a new Ecm so I will update after tommorrow.
Also I should let you know it has 240k miles on it.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
swedepwr said:
Also I should let you know it has 240k miles on it.
Not sure what you problem may be..... but 240k on an 03 might be a record!! I thought we had alot of miles on our 03, and we only have 36k! :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
swedepwr said:
I replaced the Egr valve and cleaned ports, fuel injector, Coil, cleaned intake manifold (clogged). Fuel pressure is good. Compression is good. When driving about 2000 rpm the engine is rumbling and stuttering like its not getting enough fuel.
It runs kinda good at higher rpm above 3000.
This sounds almost identical to my 91 Maxima when a fuel injector would go out. This happened twice to me, and both times the injectors were frozen "open" which meant they were constantly spewing fuel. Was injector #3 replaced or just "cleaned"?

Also, I'm curious how many trannys have you burned through over the course of the 240k miles?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a 105K service done and the problem persisted.
The 3rd coil and fuel injector were replaced all the others were cleaned, did not make any difference. Tried moving sparkplugs around. Also tried moving fuel injectors around. Fuel pressure is holding after power removed so I now the injectors are not leaking. I have also checked voltage from ecm to fuel injectors and coils and they are fine so will see today if a new ecm will fix the problem.
I have had the tranny replaced twice, once at 40K (it started giving troubles at 14K) and then at 140K.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:
The dealer and Honda engineering did diagnostics and found that Ecm needs to be replaced, unfortunatly the Ecm needs to be matched (year, manufacturing location and trim level). so they had to order a new Ecm and will replace it later next week. I will keep you updated.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm having a similar problem on a 97 Chrysler Concorde ww/86000 mi...#1 cylinder. Changed plugs and cables then brought to delaer who checked injector, compression, coil packs and PCM, All fine.

I'm more than likely looking at an intake manifold gasket or worse. Dealer wants 1200 to change the gasket....

I'm thinking of one of those stop leak additives to the coolant, but not sure if this is the right application.....

anyone have any experience with "Permanent Metallic Block and Radiator Seal " from K& W or any similar products?

HB

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found the problem myself.
It was not the computer, lucky me that I didnt give the dealer a chance to replace it. Saved me $880
I took the valve covers of and checked the valve timing.
The number 3 cylinder exhaust valve had no play at all so the valve did not close all the way.
I adjusted all the valves and found that all exhaust valves where tight and the intakes were loose.
After the adjustment the car runs great, no more misfires, no rough idle, no stuttering at 55 mph, gas mileage increased from 21 mpg to 25 mpg.
Only thing is that I dont know if any damage was made to the 3rd exhaust valve (overheating) Its been so long since the car was running right I cant remember how its supposed to run. I have 240K miles and the symptoms started at about 60K miles.
I will post a new thread on this problem.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Wow, great job! Glad it worked out for you.

:bow:

·
Registered
423 Posts
swedepwr,

How do you possibly put so many miles on your van. Our '03 has 29,000 on it and it seems like we are driving it all the time.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I drive about 1500 to 2500 miles a week.
My work takes me to all the small towns in IA, NE, SD, KS and MO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts