Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

Our '03 seems to continue with its issues. Now our horn doesn't work. It has become a safety issue, as my wife almost got creamed in a parking lot by a lady who wasn't paying any attention and cut across the parking spaces at good speed.

Anyway, it has been intermittent for a while and now it's very rare that it actually goes off. Sometimes, if lucky, when turning left, it will beep. I have checked all connections (taken under the dashboard and steering wheel covers off) and can't find any issues. The horn does go off upon locking the doors twice, so the only thought I have is that maybe the actual horn button inside the wheel may be unhappy. I've been leery of taking steering wheel apart and unhooking the airbag, but it may be my only option. Before I do all that, any other thoughts? Anything else I could/should check? Thanks.

Cliff's Notes: horn broken; goes off upon locking doors; checked connections.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
The clock spring could be on the way out. It's a ribbon cable that tightens and loosens as you turn the wheel. I've had them break on 2 cars. Often you will lose your cruise control buttons and the airbag light will start coming on. Simple enough to repair or replace but a steering wheel puller is often needed. I would 1st locate the correct wires coming from the horn switch and verify it has the correct voltage on it. I don't have a manual nearby or I'd tell you the correct colors to look for and what they should read.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm. Interesting you mention the cruise control. It's also something else that's not working on our van. SRS light is not coming on. Yet. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Check out this TSB for more info on the cable reel failure. CAUTION: SRS system components in this area and can be dangerous if tampered with.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check out this TSB for more info on the cable reel failure. CAUTION: SRS system components in this area and can be dangerous if tampered with.
Thanks for the PDFs. I will take things apart and see what's up. Yeah, it's the SRS stuff I was nervous about...

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Yeah, it's the SRS stuff I was nervous about...
Unplug the battery and let it sit for awhile and it'll be fine. I replaced it on my Jeep and repaired it on my Civic with a soldering iron. It's easy to tell where the break is because it's flimsy there. Both still working today after a couple years. One of the cars has something you plug into the airbag cable that keeps it shorted together for safety. I forget which one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts