Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum and I wanted to share my experience about purchasing my first Honda/Import.

Bought a 2009 Ody LX on December 31, 2009. Paid slightly under invoice for it. Bought the Honda Care 120k extended service contract. Good deal I thought for a Honda. Got 25% off the price of the extended warranty too.

Since then, the Ody has been back to the dealer six times. Three for an intermittent ticking sound. Each time they could hear it, but could not find it. On third trip they diagnosed it as the oil driven belt tensioner, had a slight leak and was causing the ticking. Replaced under warranty. However, when I asked for a loaner car due to the Dealer having to order parts and wait for them, I was told "we'll have to check on that." One of the main reasons I bought the extended warranty was because I was told it would cover a loaner car "no matter what." Dealership had to get corporate Honda to approve loaner car, of course this took 2 days. Van was in for 5 days total for this fix.

Two other trips to the dealer were for recall notices on the transmission programing. How many times do they need to reprogram the tranny?

Sixth visit was for first oil change. Oil life monitor read 20% at around 6500 miles. Brought it in for the first oil change and the Service Manager told me Honda recommends adjusting the rear brakes at every oil change. $40 for this service. Also tried to get me to pay $40 for a tire rotation. I get rotations for free, so I just paid for the rear brake adjustment. However I wish someone would have told me up front that the rear brakes have to be adjusted at every oil change. Service manager also told me that any service I decline, they keep track of and can affect my extended warranty!

So far the van is okay, but I'm not overly impressed. Has 9600 miles on it now. Not pleased with fuel mileage, only averageing 15-16 mpg in mixed city/interstate driving 30% city, 70% interstate at 60-70 mph.

Had to add 1/2 a quart of oil after dealer changed the oil. I'm doing the next oil change myself and make sure it is topped off to begin with.

Paint seems very thin-the hood easily chips from rocks and the sides easily show marks from other car doors.

Have also been reading about transmission issues and services on this forum and others that starting at 10k to 15k miles I now will have to drain 3 quarts of tranny fluid and add 3 quarts to keep the tranny happy and long lasting. Have also read about problems with brakes and rear shocks. :(

This van is looking like a maintenance hog. We originally purchased this Honda to last for a long time and a lot of miles and be trouble free. Beginning to wonder if Honda's reliability isn't what it used to be.....

Wishing I had my 2006 Merc. Mountaineer V8 Premium back. Better gas mileage, averaged 18 to 20 in the same mixed city/interstate driving. No problems and no warranty issues for 3 years and 40k miles till I sold it. Easy oil changes and first tranny service wasn't due till 60k miles.

For comparison purposes before buying the Ody, I also drove a 2010 Sienna (no 2009s left in stock). While the Sienna had more power and pick up, the Ody seemed to have a nicer interior and a better steering/road feel.

Just my thoughts and experiences so far with our Ody. I hope others will post their experiences with their 2009 Odys.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Find a new dealer....yours sucks. No need to adjust rear brakes at every oil change...that's a scam. I have owned just about every brand out there and there are good/bad dealers for all of them. Find a good dealer and you'll be happier. Mine gives loaners for ALL service, even an oil change if you want one.

It's your choice to do additional maintenance beyond what the book/manufacturer recommends. A lot would depend on how long you plan to keep it. Obviously if you have a full 120k warranty and don't plan to keep it longer than that...it would make no sense to do more than the minimum required. I don't think these transmissions are going to fail at LOW mileage more than anything else...but if someone is planning to run the vehicle a long time I think the extra maintenance will help. I do the drain/fill of the tranny fluid ever 30k. It's about $60 at the dealer so hardly a big deal. Very easy to do yourself though, as is the oil.

The Explorer/Mountaineer aren't known for holding transmissions long either so I'm sure there are folks that do extra maintenance on them as well. We have a fleet of them here at work and they get traded around 80k miles to avoid transmission replacement. Good vehicles for about that many miles though.

Gas mileage seems off as well. I'm not happy with the 18-20 mixed we get either, but 15-16 compared to what you were getting in the Mercury doesn't sound right. Has that been consistent since the beginning? They do tend to get better mpg as the engine breaks in but that's still pretty low.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Find another dealer!

- Belt Tensioner is not oil-driven as far as I know.

- No need for rear brake adjustment at every oil change.

- I change my oil every 5-6K miles. I simply ignore the oil life indicator.

Whatever it is, your dealer service adviser needs to go back to high-school.

FYI, I wrote a few DIYs on Engine Oil Change and ATF Flush, it is in the "Periodic Maintenance" section of this forum.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Are they adjusting the parking brake? rear disks should not need adjusting, or cleaning.

Be sure and squeal about the treatment if you have to go back, they told you something and you didn't the loaner car they promised. Just keep insisting they do this next time and don't take no for an answer, if they can't do it get the regional rep and BBB involved.

I had a dealer attempt to charge me for 900 in warrenty work - i guess hoping I'd pay for it and then they could file for honda to pay too. :mad: I got my way but it was a dogfight.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Change your dealer, you'll be surprised.
I took mine to three differents ones and the one that I found is the best is the one i bought it from.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
skinny2 said:

but if someone is planning to run the vehicle a long time I think the extra maintenance will help. I do the drain/fill of the tranny fluid ever 30k. It's about $60 at the dealer so hardly a big deal. Very easy to do yourself though, as is the oil.

I do plan on keeping it for a long time and hopefully 200(+) miles. If it's only $60, no big deal every 30k miles.....

The Explorer/Mountaineer aren't known for holding transmissions long either so I'm sure there are folks that do extra maintenance on them as well. We have a fleet of them here at work and they get traded around 80k miles to avoid transmission replacement. Good vehicles for about that many miles though.

My family and I have put 150k(+) miles on many different Ford models w/o tranny problems as long as the maintenance is done and I am OCD about maintenance.

Gas mileage seems off as well. I'm not happy with the 18-20 mixed we get either, but 15-16 compared to what you were getting in the Mercury doesn't sound right. Has that been consistent since the beginning? They do tend to get better mpg as the engine breaks in but that's still pretty low.
Gas mileage has been this low from the start. Premium fuel only bumps it up 1 mpg. I have used an fuel additive from Lubrication Engineers (LE) that seemed to help about 1 to 1.5 mpg, but their additive is expensive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cnn said:
Find another dealer!

- Belt Tensioner is not oil-driven as far as I know.

- No need for rear brake adjustment at every oil change.

- I change my oil every 5-6K miles. I simply ignore the oil life indicator.

Whatever it is, your dealer service adviser needs to go back to high-school.

FYI, I wrote a few DIYs on Engine Oil Change and ATF Flush, it is in the "Periodic Maintenance" section of this forum.
They showed me the tensioner and where it was leaking from which caused the piston to loose pressure and make the ticking sound. I'm no certified mechanic, probably would not pass for a shade tree mechanic either, but what they showed me looked like what they were talking about.

Good to know about the brake adjustment. THANKS!

I normally change my oil every 3500 to 5k miles. When the OLM shows 20%, I will send a sample to Blackstone for an analysis just to see. Dealership said they use Castrol GTX bulk oil, so that is what is in it now. I will switch to a semi-synthetic 5w-20 for the next oil change.

·
Registered
375 Posts
i have seen used oil analysis on many odys and the 7500 mile interval is fine. If you are changing your oil every 3500 you are wasting your money. Honda's are not hard on the oil unless you do a lot of short trips in which the OLM will compensate for it.

Read the manual on service, your dealer is ripping you off. Keep your receipts if you do your own oil changes. In general- dealers will always pad what you need to do for service so they can make money.

I am running synthetic in my odyssey and am going 10k with no problems- ody has 180k and does not burn a drop and i am on the original tranny.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tdpark said:
i have seen used oil analysis on many odys and the 7500 mile interval is fine. If you are changing your oil every 3500 you are wasting your money. Honda's are not hard on the oil unless you do a lot of short trips in which the OLM will compensate for it.

Read the manual on service, your dealer is ripping you off. Keep your receipts if you do your own oil changes. In general- dealers will always pad what you need to do for service so they can make money.

I am running synthetic in my odyssey and am going 10k with no problems- ody has 180k and does not burn a drop and i am on the original tranny.
I'm not doing 3500 mile oil changes on the Ody. That was on other/older vehicles. I am following the OLM and changing at 20%. So far that seems to be around 6k miles or a little more.

I am definitely keeping receipts for oil and filters and a maintenance log (documented the oil was 1/2 quart low after the dealer changed the oil). Don't want Honda to try to squirm out of the extended warranty if there is a problem.

Good to hear you have 180k miles and still going strong! We are hoping to get a lot of miles out of ours.

·
Registered
403 Posts
rpintx1 said:
Gas mileage has been this low from the start. Premium fuel only bumps it up 1 mpg. I have used an fuel additive from Lubrication Engineers (LE) that seemed to help about 1 to 1.5 mpg, but their additive is expensive.
Also, Honda does not recommend additives in their vehicles. Here's a quote from the owner's manual:

"Your vehicle’s engine does not require any oil additives. Additives may adversely affect engine or transmission performance and durability."

It not like the old days. Honda engines are built to perfom at their most efficient.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't use an oil additive. Only a fuel additive. The results (hand calculated) showed at least a 1 mpg increase. Over the last 9600 miles I have tested it many times. One fill up with the additive and the next tank without. I consistently get 1 mpg more with the fuel additive.

I stay away from oil additives.

·
Registered
613 Posts
FWIW on a highway trip my 06 exl got 24-25mpg flat and 23 in hills.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
23 mpg would be an improvement. The best tank so far was approx. 300 miles with the cruise set at 75, fairly flat, A/C on and 21 mpg was the highest so far on any tank. The Service Manager keeps telling me the engine just needs to break in! It's not a diesel, so I would think that between 5k miles and 10k miles the engine should be broken in......

·
Registered
46 Posts
I once shared your concerns. We bought a certified, used 09 EX in April with 12,000 miles on it. Also got the extended warranty. So far, we have had no issues with the Ody (knock on wood). It has 18,500 miles on it now. So far, I have not received any recall notices. I should have because my vehicle falls into some of the categories for recalls. How would I check on those? I change my own oil, use Mobil 1, 5-20W and Mobil 1 filter. My extended warranty states that I MUST change the oil and filter every 5,000 miles for it to remain in effect. Also, the TIMING BELT MUST be changed before 60,000 miles regardless of what Honda says. I am not pleased with those extended warranty requirements. Does your warranty state that? As far as changing transmission oil every oil change, or whatever, I don't care. If the tranny blows, it is warranteed. Give me a new, better one. Don't get me wrong, I will change the fluid at 50,000 miles or when the maintenance minder says to, but not every 5,000 miles. We have made two long trips with it and got 24-26 MPG on the highway at 70 mph. Every day type driving gets us around 20-22 mpg. We traded in a 2006 Chevy Uplander for it. Bought it new and had 76,000 miles on it. Never been to the dealer or anywhere else for repairs. No timing belts, no transmission fluid changes or issues, ran like a clock from day one. After buying the Ody, I read the forums and thought, "Oh brother, what did I do." I am slowly getting over that. I think alot of folks on here have nothing better to do than tinker with their Ody. Don't mean to offend anyone, but alot of the maintenance seems overkill. Oh well, can't change anything now. Have to make lemonade out of lemons. Would I buy another Honda or import? Only time will tell. Always been a GM man.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
diligence said:
My extended warranty states that I MUST change the oil and filter every 5,000 miles for it to remain in effect. Also, the TIMING BELT MUST be changed before 60,000 miles regardless of what Honda says. I am not pleased with those extended warranty requirements. Does your warranty state that?
I haven't read my Honda Care extended warranty word for word yet, but I hope it doesn't say the oil MUST be changed every 5000 miles. Especially when the manual and the service manager say "just follow the oil life monitor." Something doesn't add up here.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts