Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

Registered
It looks fogged on the inside and no matter what I have used, never turns crystal clear. I've lately seen some newer SUV's from other brands with the same problem. I live in the tropics so it has nothing to do witth defogging.
Are you using microfiber clothes that have been laundered with fabric softener?

I use a two cloth system, one is a green microfiber cloth, and I buff it off with a blue cloth to get rid of any streaks. Here is the link, thank me later.
Microfiber Glass Cleaning Cloths - 8 Pack | Lint Free - Streak Free | Quickly and Easily Clean Windows & Mirrors Without Chemicals https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KAJ42GO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_cu3pEb569AARD

Registered
Oooh... great point! I forgot to mention that one. Using fabric softener on microfiber cloths ruins their absorbency and increases their tendency to leave streaks. Dryer sheets or liquid in the wash do the same thing.

I keep the microfiber cloths for the cars in a basket in the garage and they get laundered separately from everything else. My wife likes it because I keep "all those nasty cloths you use on the cars" away from the rest of the laundry. I like it because I can be absolutely sure they don't get any fabric softener. It's a win-win. 馃檪

Registered
Discussion Starter #23

I use a two cloth system, one is a green microfiber cloth, and I buff it off with a blue cloth to get rid of any streaks. Here is the link, thank me later.
Microfiber Glass Cleaning Cloths - 8 Pack | Lint Free - Streak Free | Quickly and Easily Clean Windows & Mirrors Without Chemicals Amazon.com: Microfiber Glass Cleaning Cloths - 8 Pack | Lint Free - Streak Free | Quickly and Easily Clean Windows & Mirrors Without Chemicals: Home & Kitchen
No, I don't even use it on my clothes. Thanks!

Registered
Ok, all good ideas but....try this:
Use diluted Dawn dish washing liquid in a spray bottle. Maybe a teaspoon of Dawn to a full spray bottle. Clean the window with the Dawn spray.
Now use a different spray bottle with water only. Clean the Dawn off of the window. It may take two attempts and as others have said, buff the window until no trace of water streaks remain. You will feel the difference as the water evaporates.
Do not use normally washed towels due to laundry soap residue. Or at least run the "special" window towels through the wash cycle a second time using no soap at all to try to get out the laundry soap.
You'll be amazed at how clean the windows get and how long they remain clean.

Registered
It looks fogged on the inside and no matter what I have used, never turns crystal clear. I've lately seen some newer SUV's from other brands with the same problem. I live in the tropics so it has nothing to do witth defogging.

Modern plastics have ingredients called plasticizers, which are in plastics formulations to keep plastic materials from hardening with heat and time. Plasticizers will slowly release from plastics used in car interiors, and the vapor can form a weak gray haze on your windows. Higher temperatures accelerates this process.

A solvent like rubbing alcohol may be necessary to remove the haze. Commercial glass cleaners should also remove it..

Registered
Ok, all good ideas but....try this:
Use diluted Dawn dish washing liquid in a spray bottle. Maybe a teaspoon of Dawn to a full spray bottle. Clean the window with the Dawn spray.
Now use a different spray bottle with water only. Clean the Dawn off of the window. It may take two attempts and as others have said, buff the window until no trace of water streaks remain. You will feel the difference as the water evaporates.
Do not use normally washed towels due to laundry soap residue. Or at least run the "special" window towels through the wash cycle a second time using no soap at all to try to get out the laundry soap.
You'll be amazed at how clean the windows get and how long they remain clean.
It's primarily the use of fabric softener that causes these microfiber towels to become somewhat ineffective. It makes them feel very slightly "greasy". I have been OK washing them with powdered detergent only. I can feel the difference.

Registered
I have tried multiple glass cleaners and even the old dishwashing liquid to clean it on the inside. So far, none has worked. Any ideas?
Rained 2 in one glass cleaner.was recommended by a fussy Tesla owner. I can testify that it hugely cuts down on streaking over ammonia based cleaners. I tried it on all our bathroom mirrors where you can really see the streaking. It seems to stay cleaner longer and even if you touch up with Windex weeks later it still seems to keep working to keep those streaks at bay.

Registered
Rained 2 in one glass cleaner.was recommended by a fussy Tesla owner. I can testify that it hugely cuts down on streaking over ammonia based cleaners. I tried it on all our bathroom mirrors where you can really see the streaking. It seems to stay cleaner longer and even if you touch up with Windex weeks later it still seems to keep working to keep those streaks at bay.
Sorry, RAINEX and I do use micro fiber cloths

Registered
I have tried multiple glass cleaners and even the old dishwashing liquid to clean it on the inside. So far, none has worked. Any ideas?
I agree Sprayway glass cleaner is excellent. You can get it from Costco. Spray it on a microfiber cloth, then clean your windows. Also buff the windows afterwards, if needed.

Registered
My theory is the problem is offgassing chemical from the plastic then condensing on the inside of the windows and leaving a film that is hard to clean off. It definitely takes more than cheap glass cleaner to get it off.

Registered
Old sckool BEST,method to clean a windshield I still use today . spray plain water using a regular news paper print wedded up. Do not try coupon papers or throw away crap comes in mailbox . regular old news print. The paper is recycled absorbs moisture good, the ink is acidic and is what cleans the window . no streaks. No bullshit just SPOTLESS CRYSTAL CLEAN.

Registered
Yes, the absolute best cleaning agent is good old white vinegar, but not the weak solution you buy at the grocery store. here is what I buy for cleaning

Calyptus 45% Pure Vinegar | 9x Stronger than Vinegar | 100% Natural Concentrated Cleaner | Home, Outdoor, and Garden Use | 450 Grain | Industrial Strength | Bleach and Ammonia Alternative | 1 Gallon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W9HX3MV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The brand does not matter, only the strength. I think you can find it at Home Depot and Lows as a stump remover in the lawn and garden section.

This is 45% and for most things does not need to be this strength, however for descaling hard water deposits on say coffee pots, tea kettles or on most surfaces try this 50- 50 with water, I use it full strenth so that it works fast and then I save it in a bottle for future use. For glass cleaner I collect rain water and I use this water in steam irons and for mixing with vinegar for cleaning. When I do laundry I put a quarter of a cup of this in the washing machine along with my normal laundry detergent. I also use Boraxo, this too is a very powerful cleaning agent, I make a solution of vinegar, boraxo and rain water for cleaning kitchen counters cabinets and my stove. It does a great job at removing grease from surfaces. For cleaning glass start out with a quarter cup in a gallon of rain water (tap water is ok but not the best distilled or rain water will give the best results. If you like nice smelling cleaners then buy a bottle of lemon or orange essential oils and add some to your cleaner. The other item that you can add to a home cleaner for the Kitchen is to add lemon juice to the water, vinegar and boraxo solution.

Another great product to purchase if you decide on switching away from harsh chemicals for cleaning is a product that most consumers have never heard of is a thickening agent, the trade name is CAB-O-SIL. The industrial name is Fumed Silica. For those interested here is a good Wikipedia article Fumed silica - Wikipedia
Fumed Silica is a very light weight power, more of small flakes than a power. It has many uses, some of the most common are thickening of polyester and epoxy resins used in advanced compostes for boat building and aerospace. It is used in all of the epoxy glues that you buy. It is used in cosmetics and I understand that it is available in food grade. I am old enough to remember that tomato ketchup used to be really thin and runny then I think that in the late 1950's Heinz came out with a really thick ketchup and I bet it was around the time when CAB-O-SIL was invented. Fumed Silica is sold in giant bags as well as 1 gallon cans and jars as well as smaller quantities. This would be great for most people unless you find that you wind up using lots of it.
Cabosil - Fumed Silica Thickener in Quart Tub
This is a great price on Amazon $12.99/quart, this one is sold by a company who sells fiberglass resins but Cabosil is Cabosil. If you go to the link they have a great picture of what it looks like.

This product is so light and airy that it is a good idea to wear a dust mask when working with it (only needed when first mixing it). Say you have hard water deposits on a toilet bowl, take some of the 45% vinegar and put about a half of a cup in a jar and then begin mixing it with Fumed Silica, you can keep adding until the mixture becomes like a stiff paste that sticks to the spoon. Turn the water off to your toilet and remove as much of the water as possible. Then use a plastic spreader like what you would use with bondo or a putty knife and spread this to the deposits inside the bowl. Let it sit for a couple of hours and I bet it will have removed the deposits if not just let it sit for a while longer. Once it has been rinsed off if you are on a septic system it would be a good idea to put some baking power into the vinegar and water in the toilet to neturalize the acid before flushing so that the septic system will not become too acidic.

I think that if you use this high strength vinegar along with boraxo for cleaning that you will soon stop buying all of the very over priced harsh cleaners you are currently using. This cleaning solution is very people and pet friendly, you could drink the stuff and it would not really hurt you, just would taste awful. Oh I forgot to mention that Borax is also used as a soldering flux for silver soldering or plumbing fittings. You mix Borax (this is plain old Boraxo) with water to form a paste, you brush it on the solder joint and then heat it with a torch. When heated to a high temperature borax liquifies and super cleans the metal being soldered.

I hope that you find this helpful,
Robert

Registered
Simple... spray Isopropyl liberally on glass in the SHADE wait 30 seconds and wipe off with Good microfiber towel.

Registered
My recommendation is to use a Mr Clean white microfiber pad with water. Give the whole window a good rub until it slides smoothly. Use a squeegee to remove any remaining water. Follow up with a mixture of 50% rubbing alcohol and 50% distilled water in a spray bottle. Dry with the squeegee and paper towel or microfiber cloth. The rubbing alcohol/distilled water solution is also excellent for your tv/computer screens and mirrors.

Registered
If you are using a/c and window defrost it's always gonna be dirty,. Just get an microfiber cloth on an extention to wipe

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk
I use a Norwex enviro cloth dampened with water and a norwex window cloth. It amazed my daughter when her windows were finally clean with no chemicals.

Registered
There is really two different ways to clean windows AND make them more difficult to "fog" up (microscopic droplets of condensed water on the glass).

1) Make the glass extremely clean - removing the vast majority of nucleation sites.
1A) Start with glass cleaner to remove oxidizers and other grime.
1B) Isopropyl Alcohol would be a good final wipes, with clean paper towels or cloths that has been rinsed with distilled or RO water several times to flush out mineral from the dried tap water from the towel.

2) Break the surface tension of the water droplet, so that the water form in a thin transparent layer and not as tiny droplets.
2A) Start with glass cleaner to remove oxidizers and other grime.
2B) Perform final wipes with towel that had been wetted with distilled or RO water that has a little bit of dishwashing detergent (1-3 drops per 16 oz of distilled or RO water is enough). Ensure towels had been thoroughly rinsed with distilled or RO water several times to flush out minerals from tap water before starting this step.

In my limited experience, method 2 seemed to keep windows fog free longer, and the final wipe doesn't need to be as perfect. Step 2B could also be replaced with shaving cream, but the main takeaway is to get rid of the dried hard water out of ANY towels used for the final 2 wipes... The minerals in tap water both leave streaks AND provide nucleation sites for the water droplets to condense on.

Paper towels doesn't have enough hard water minerals or oils to mess up the final wipe(s). But ANY towels (regardless of material) that had been washed using tap water is going to be loaded with hard water minerals, that will need to be rinsed out using distilled or RO water.

Good luck...

21 - 40 of 40 Posts