Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has probably been killed by now but I'm getting some different feedback on what I can do.

I have a 05 Odyssey with the 6 disk changer and the Aux/XM button (that does nothing now).
I want to add satellite radio (is there a difference between Sirius and XM anymore?).

What parts do I need?
HON-SC1
SC-C1 SiriusConnect tuner
Antenna
Is this difficult to do yourself?

I would prefer to not have to have an external unit mounted on the dash but if the internal stuff is crazy expensive (like $500 in parts from Honda) then I could justify it but how do you get the signal to radio other then an FM transmitter (those are a pain especially since the antenna is near the rear of the car).

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
There's a kit you can get from Honda to add it internally. I believe it was about $250-$300 for parts. They wanted $500 installed when new. The NAV models have it fully installed from the factory.

I've seen some aftermarket packages in the $100 range that I believe do the same thing. Looks like you've got the right part list based on what I've seen. That should get you everything you need since these are XM ready radios.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The local dealer wants $444.23 for parts and $299 labor to install. Not worth $750.

are there better options then factory?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Those aftermarket parts should get you about the same as factory. I've had factory and aftermarket XM before and outside of the FM transmitter stuff...it all seems about the same. Some of the add-on (external) tuners have some nice features but you've got that ugly part to deal with.

One of the reasons we bought the OEM Nav was because it works straight from the factory, gives you XM controls on the touch-screen, and nice big menus on the LCD. But it doesn't sound any different than the aftermarket tuners I've had plugged straight into the aux ports.

If you're not able to install the aftermarket parts you listed above, I would think any decent stereo shop could do it reasonable. Your dealer is gouging you big time. You can buy the OEM parts online for about $280 at a couple honda sites.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
are the parts I listed all I need?
What sites?

If I want to go external device, can I still use the AUX button somehow instead of having to use a FM Transmitter?

·
Registered
513 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everywhere I look it says 2006 - 2010. I called Benardi and they said that the first year of the 2005-2010 model, the XM interface is different and not compatible with anything they sell. The kit has been discontinued.

Anyone else heard this?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Possible. I would use www.cruthfield.com They will be best bet for someone with little experience as they usually have good instructions and staff to help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they said nothing can work with my 2005. Looks like I'm SOL as far as internal.

What is the best way to activate the AUX so I can plug portable unit into it and press AUX button to come over stereo. I hate the FM transmitters.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
That's odd because there were options back when these were newer.

I guess you'll have to dig deep or check with a shop. I would think someone could come up with something. The parts used to be available so maybe look on ebay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up buying the Sirius equipment. The Sirius equipment cost about $100 and the XM was $444. No Brainer...

Thanks everyone for the help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts