Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a decent OBD2 to get all codes out of my 03 EXL? Generic readers can't pull these hidden codes from the transmission and there will be no MIL (lamp) indication when there's an issue. I'm tired of paying the dealer for something that I can totally fix. I searched the forum on this topic and couldn't find an answer. Thanks.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The only thing I know of is the true Honda HDS system. I don't think any of the other readers can pull Honda-specific codes, especially ones that are not triggering the MIL.

The costly piece of that system is the interface module. You want a REAL one, and not the cheap knock-offs from China.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was afraid that was the case. Maybe an enterprising party will market one of these units sometime soon.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I was afraid that was the case. Maybe an enterprising party will market one of these units sometime soon.
They are readily available. You just have to be willing to shell out over $2K for one. The "enterprising party" would be the Chinese vendors who market what they "claim" is the same thing for a few hundred. Of course, they don't work in all cases for all models.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are readily available. You just have to be willing to shell out over $2K for one. The "enterprising party" would be the Chinese vendors who market what they "claim" is the same thing for a few hundred. Of course, they don't work in all cases for all models.
At $2K I could take the vehicle to the dealer about 17 times at $115 per MIL read, so it probably doesn't make sense for me to invest in a Honda unit. I'd be willing to invest no more than about $300 for such an instrument. Could you please tell me the make and model of the "ChiCom" box? Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts