Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a VCMuzzler II on my 17 EX-L last night and took the van for a ride. The VCMuzzler appears to be working as expected. No ECO light, temperature gauge just slightly lower than before the install, etc.

However, the Bluetooth OBDII device I'm using does not seem to be reading the engine coolant temp. It worked in my 06 Ody EX-L and I just tested it in SWMBO's 11 CR-V EX and it worked fine. In those vehicles the Coolant gauge in the Torque app displays the coolant temp as expected.

It's one of these, purchased probably 10 years ago:

When using the Torque app, all the other basic readings (RPM's, speed, etc.) seem to be working fine, but the Coolant gauge sits at 0 with the words "No Data" displayed. I even pulled the VCMuzzler just to be sure that it had nothing to do with the issue.

Is there something different with 17 EX-L pin-out that would prevent the OBDII from reading the Coolant temp? I don't need a $100+ full blown scanner, I just want to monitor the coolant temp to ensure I'm using the correct resistor and to keep an eye on things, especially while I'm towing.

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,054 Posts
I don't think there's anything special - it should work right off the hop. When I tried to get a cheapie ELM327 OBDII device to work in my 2015, engine coolant came up perfectly every time. Seeing the transmission fluid temperature was my main goal and when I couldn't get that to show up properly, I switched to a Scangauge II.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Are the other datalogs reporting? The 4th gen is tricky to connect some scantools, especially bluetooth scantools. If it connects on the 3rd gen it should connect on the 4th gen.

Disconnect all other bluetooth devices when connecting. LCW and FCW along with other lights may come on. They should disappear the next time you start the van.

Of course, connect in accessory mode, not while the engine is running.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First, I'll respond to what you have said, then at the end I'll include a link that shows that it's not just me that has experienced this issue.

Are the other datalogs reporting?
As I said in my OP: "When using the Torque app, all the other basic readings (RPM's, speed, etc.) seem to be working fine". It just seems to be just the Coolant temp that is showing No Data, although I haven't added any other items to display. I'll play around later.

The 4th gen is tricky to connect some scantools, especially bluetooth scantools. If it connects on the 3rd gen it should connect on the 4th gen.
Just to be clear, it's not a connection issue. The device connects just fine and displays most of the readings. It's just the Coolant temp that is not displaying. The Torque gauge for Coolant reads 0 on the analog gauge and says No Data in the middle where is should show the digital read out.

My Torque app displays something very similar to this image, except that the Coolant gauge needle hangs at 0 and instead of the digital "50" that you see here, I see words "No Data"

Disconnect all other bluetooth devices when connecting. LCW and FCW along with other lights may come on. They should disappear the next time you start the van.
That did in fact happen once: FCW Failed message. Scared the sh*t out of me 'cuz I thought the OBDII device screwed something up.

Of course, connect in accessory mode, not while the engine is running.
Why Accessory mode? I certainly wouldn't plug the OBDII device into the port in while the engine was running, but what's wrong with connecting to it via the Torque app while the engine is running? I've been that for years in all my other vehicles.

OK, with all that said, it seems that it might be nothing more than a crappy OBDII device and how it communicates with the Torque app. There is no clear answer in the following thread but the "No Data" Coolant reading appears to be somewhat common in my exact situation: A given OBDII mini BT device might display the Coolant temp in some vehicles, but not in others.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just FYI...I ordered one of these, as suggested by the guy in the Jaguar forum.

I also ordered one of these:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Just in case this data point helps you know what should be possible ... in my 2011 LX, I can see coolant temp (the one faked by the VCM muzzling devices) using my Foxwell NT520 Pro.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Just FYI...I ordered one of these, as suggested by the guy in the Jaguar forum.

I also ordered one of these:

That Jaguar would look great in the Ody!...why I never thought of that!.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just in case this data point helps you know what should be possible ... in my 2011 LX, I can see coolant temp (the one faked by the VCM muzzling devices) using my Foxwell NT520 Pro.
Thanks for that info. I know that the Coolant temp should be available. It is in my other vehicles, using the same OBDII device and Torque app.

We'll see what happens when I get the newer OBDII device for the 17. I'll post again after I test it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts