Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, new to the site and new to odyssey. Just bought a 2006 Ody Ex-L with 160 km (100 Miles) and here's my question. Driving at 60 mph I feel this slight hesitation. Not enough to make the rpm's or speedometer to drop but it's there. Passenger noticed it as well after I asked if he felt it. The hesitation is there with the cruise on or off. The "eco" light stays on during the hesitation. During our last trip it happened approx 7-8 times over our 60 mile trip! Hopefully someone can help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the reply. I will definitely keep in touch with that thread. And also check to see where my temp. gauge sits at at operating temp. Will post when I do find out. I will also try to get the actual temp of the engine with an IR thermometer.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Hey thanks for the reply. I will definitely keep in touch with that thread. And also check to see where my temp. gauge sits at at operating temp. Will post when I do find out. I will also try to get the actual temp of the engine with an IR thermometer.
I think you're feeling the VCM kick in. Feels like it sort of shift into another taller gear or something. I think it's a bad motor mount when the engine turns off the cylinders it moves a little more than it should.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the rear motor mount? Can I visually inspect it myself or is it best for the dealer to look at it? Where is it located and how can I tell if it's bad? I have read on the site that with the "ECO" light on you are not necessarily in VCM mode. Maybe that's why I feel the hesitation and the ECO light stays on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think you're feeling the VCM kick in. Feels like it sort of shift into another taller gear or something. I think it's a bad motor mount when the engine turns off the cylinders it moves a little more than it should.
I'm the OP from the thread mentioned above. I've evaluated this problem for close to 30,000 miles (sorry to say)(wifes van, so I don't drive it much) and what I feel, IMO, is not the VCM.

I think the VCM is a convenient umbrella to dismiss any drive-train issue at higher speeds. VCM blame game has convinced many unsuspecting Odyssey owners to accept this issue as a poor execution of relatively simple technology. I think this issue is much deeper and, of course, it's in Honda's best interest for us to stick our heads in the sand and ignore this highly annoying and unacceptable issue.

If I'm on a road that is perfectly flat the VCM transition in/out is seamless with no THUD, slip, nudge, hesitation, puddle, chug, bump or gong. :)

Oh, and I've stopped paying attention to the ECO light since it's not entirely connected to the VCM being engaged or not. This was proven on another thread by an owner that put an LED on the VCM module and ran the wire into the cockpit so he could see how each behaved. In his case, VCM would go in/out while the ECO light was lit and the ECO light would come on before VCM in some/most cases. It's likely that ECO looking at vacuum pressure not whether the VCM is engaged.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
In my case I really only feel it out on the open road...50+ mph in OD. About 5 seconds after the ECO light is steady there's a slight "nudge" I guess would be best explanation. Almost feels like the car found a taller gear. The exhaust note changes a bit as well...somewhat of a lugging sound. Goes away simultaneously with the ECO light as soon as you give it a little pedal or encounter a hill (if cruise is on).

·
Registered
19 Posts
In my case I really only feel it out on the open road...50+ mph in OD. About 5 seconds after the ECO light is steady there's a slight "nudge" I guess would be best explanation. Almost feels like the car found a taller gear. The exhaust note changes a bit as well...somewhat of a lugging sound. Goes away simultaneously with the ECO light as soon as you give it a little pedal or encounter a hill (if cruise is on).
Which vehicle? Your signiature says you don't have an Odyssey, no?

If you do still have an Ody, does it have the instant MPG meter? If so, look at how the meter reacts after the "nudge" and report back what you see. Trying to see if other experience the same sequence of events I see.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Which vehicle? Your signiature says you don't have an Odyssey, no?

If you do still have an Ody, does it have the instant MPG meter? If so, look at how the meter reacts after the "nudge" and report back what you see. Trying to see if other experience the same sequence of events I see.
Referring to our previous '05 Ody. Just sold it last week... it wasn't a touring so no instant mpg. Started doing it around 30k miles and never got worse so I didn't chase it. Annoying to some degree...but wasn't bad enough to waste time replacing parts. Never had any pax notice it...mainly just me. Pax might just think I let off the gas or something...kind of what it felt like but it never slowed down or anything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So this is normal? Hardly sounds right. There has to be something to fix this. Like skinny2 says it not a huge deal but annoying. I just purchased the vehicle and did purchase the extra warranty, so I am hoping to fix any issues within the warranty time frame.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
If you've got warranty and the time...go for it. It's obviously not normal because mine didn't do it when new. It may be a "normal" problem....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts