Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a call from my dealer. She learned that the new Odys should have no lower than 93. Why the change? I haven't had any issues and I've gotten 19-25 mpg with the lower octane advertised initially for '02.
Any thoughts? Reactions?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Man, I want to find out too.. if premium gas is the only options, that will be a big increase in cost.

·
Registered
192 Posts
One of the selling points that Honda pushed for the 2002 Ody was the increased horsepower of the "new" engine and the fact that it no longer required premium fuel. So, I'm not sure where the dealer rep is getting her information.

There are other discussions on this topic. I believe the concensus (and my opinion) is that high octane fuel does more harm than good (when you weigh environmental impact to "supposed" performance).

There are very few automobiles that really need 93 octane... the Ody is not one of them. If anyone disagrees, then just try one tank of regular and see if the engine runs any different.

Save your money and use regular.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LogansMom:
Just got a call from my dealer. She learned that the new Odys should have no lower than 93. Why the change? I haven't had any issues and I've gotten 19-25 mpg with the lower octane advertised initially for '02.
Any thoughts? Reactions?
</font>
I'd ask her for a letter or other documentation to that effect.

Maugham

·
Registered
41 Posts
I believe that I would go with the information that Honda provides on Honda products designed by Honda engineers.
Lets face it, most dealers know less about the Odyssey than most Ody Club members do.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Something doesn't sound right. 93 octane gas hasn't been available in this area for several years now. 91 is as good as it gets barring racing gas. I took delivery of my '02 Ody yesterday and was told that it used 86 octane or higher. That's what is said on page 232 of the '02 Ody owners manual also. 87 octane is as low as it gets around here.

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Maugham:
I'd ask her for a letter or other documentation to that effect.

Maugham

</font>
Agreed! Honda went out of their way to point out that the 2002's made their extra peak horsepower on regular instead premium like the pre 02's. I've tried several tanks of premium fuel in my '01 LX and have seen absolutely no improvement in any aspect of the performance or fuel mileage delivered by my Ody.

I'd expect something like Acura's NSX to require 93 octane fuel but certainly not a minivan. They're simply not designed to be that high performance.

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts