Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a shoutout for Dave and would like to thank him for all the help in sharing his knowledge as with regards the Odyssey's peculiar problems with rear camber being out of whack. Now may, I ask the group if anybody knows where I can possibly buy a female to male adapter coupling that can take the place to bypass the former inline filter installed under the radiator of the 2001 model? I have gone around various autoparts and hardware stores but nothing can help me find it. Although, I saw some on display, they were SAE and not metric. I am installing a magnetic filter to help protect and prolong the life of my AT thus the need for the coupling. I am reluctant to put a hose directly from the magnetic filter to the radiator inlet as this is made of aluminum and may break due to road vibrations. Not to mention the limited space between the atf lines and the plastic subframe cover. Any information will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
... I am installing a magnetic filter to help protect and prolong the life of my AT ...
Are you making this too difficult? I recently added a Magnefine magnetic filter for my ATF by simply cutting the rubber hose line that went from the Tranny Cooler back to the Transmission and inserting the filter. Or am I missing something?

Reactions: kernel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pixburd54 thanks for the input. I have considered putting the magnefine in between the ATF return line hoses for ease of installation. However, I lateron decided to put this instead in-between the return line from the tranny to the oil cooler for 2 reasons:

1) I wanted to get rid of the existing inline filter assy. under the radiator as shown in the picture as this has been sitting there for more than 20 years😞.
2) I think some may member DIYers may object to that choice of placement, but IMHO, there must be logic for honda to be installing that in the outgoing line towards the cooler as this not only protects the tranny but likewise the oil cooler from any debris which otherwise may obstruct the latter and starve the ATF flow.

Upon closer inspection, there was some rigidity yet flexibility provided by the aluminum oil inlet pipe, as this was further attached to another short rubber hose before finally entering the cooler.

Unfortunately, I was not able to take pictures of the final install at the bottom, but was able to take pics from above. I chanced upon a bracket from home depot which more or less was as wide in diameter as the magnefine and added some brackets from true value too. A pic is attached for your reference. Thank you for all the info shared here as we have a common bond in keeping our vans as roadworthy as possible.
20210421_175330.jpg

·
Registered
260 Posts
Pixburd54 thanks for the input. I have considered putting the magnefine in between the ATF return line hoses for ease of installation. However, I later on decided to put this instead in-between the return line from the tranny to the oil cooler ...
ODCDIYER, you did a nice job with that ATF filter in your van. I've never heard of Honda placing one there. 20 years ago on a 2001 would indicate that it came from the factory that way. The one that came from the factory is the one on top of the tranny, buried under the battery tray. Did you buy that ODY new?

At this point, placing a clean filter anywhere in the ATF loop will do your tranny good. I just left my original filter be and added a second one where it was most convenient. Other posters have done the same, so I "stole" their ideas. All filters have a bypass within, so if clogged, the fluid just flows thru unfiltered without much pressure drop. Just make sure you place the filter in the right direction. That's the most important thing.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
I've never heard of Honda placing one there. 20 years ago on a 2001 would indicate that it came from the factory that way. The one that came from the factory is the one on top of the tranny, buried under the battery tray.
That filter was added whenever the tranny was replaced by the dealer. The 2001 left the factory with no ATF filter at all. (Talk about closing the barn door after the horse has escaped...!)

The filter on top started in 2002.

Back to that cigar-like "filter", it's actually just a screen that's nowhere near as good as the Magnefine. Good on the OP for upgrading it.

Reactions: Pixburd54

·
Registered
15 Posts
That filter was added whenever the tranny was replaced by the dealer. The 2001 left the factory with no ATF filter at all. (Talk about closing the barn door after the horse has escaped...!)
I’m pretty sure there is a filter but it’s inside the transmission and requires it’s removal and the transmission case to be opened.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pixburd54 thanks for the input. I have considered putting the magnefine in between the ATF return line hoses for ease of installation. However, I lateron decided to put this instead in-between the return line from the tranny to the oil cooler for 2 reasons:

1) I wanted to get rid of the existing inline filter assy. under the radiator as shown in the picture as this has been sitting there for more than 20 years😞.
2) I think some may member DIYers may object to that choice of placement, but IMHO, there must be logic for honda to be installing that in the outgoing line towards the cooler as this not only protects the tranny but likewise the oil cooler from any debris which otherwise may obstruct the latter and starve the ATF flow.

Upon closer inspection, there was some rigidity yet flexibility provided by the aluminum oil inlet pipe, as this was further attached to another short rubber hose before finally entering the cooler.

Unfortunately, I was not able to take pictures of the final install at the bottom, but was able to take pics from above. I chanced upon a bracket from home depot which more or less was as wide in diameter as the magnefine and added some brackets from true value too. A pic is attached for your reference. Thank you for all the info shared here as we have a common bond in keeping our vans as roadworthy as possible. View attachment 161561
Pixburd54 thank you for your comment. According to Dave a fellow member, this install was made by the factory right after the failing transmissions fiasco. I got the van second hand thus have no knowledge of its history. But as previously mentioned by Dave, they changed some of the trannies then which probably explains why tranny my was painted enamel gray unlike the usual factory bare aluminum. For the info of everyone, I also put in Idemitsu 30040090-95300C020 ATF TYPE H PLUS and some lubeguard red in there which seems to be ok so far. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The filter on top started in 2002.

Back to that cigar-like "filter", it's actually just a screen that's nowhere near as good as the Magnefine. Good on the OP for upgrading it.
Thanks for the info Dave. I have been wondering why my tranny was cleanly painted enamel gray instead of the usual factory aluminum. Most likely then, the manufacturer changed the tranny when this was probably still under warranty. Honestly, it is my first time to own a Honda and observed that their designs are intended to discourage DIYers as there is always another assembly or part or the chassis getting in the way of the work and would need a lot of combination of assorted tools to get them serviced. That's why I am grateful for this forum. Again thank you Dave.
I’m pretty sure there is a filter but it’s inside the transmission and requires it’s removal and the transmission case to be opened.
There is indeed a filter inside the transmission but this is cumbersome to service not to mention the potential leaks that accompany such work. By installing an afternarket inline filter, this makes the maintenance easier. Thanks for the input by the way.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Are you making this too difficult? I recently added a Magnefine magnetic filter for my ATF by simply cutting the rubber hose line that went from the Tranny Cooler back to the Transmission and inserting the filter. Or am I missing something?
2001, did the same, just cut the rubber hose, and added Magnefine filter. IMHO, keep it simple. Do not overthink.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts