Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

Hoping someone has seen this or heard of this and I did not just get taken. I have a Honda Odessey 2004 and this year the heat seems to be working great almost to good. It stays hot all the time and when you try and cool down the cabin it never cools unless you bring the temperature all the way down to 60 degrees.

I took it in they said there was something wrong with my system and they repaired the whole heating control system because it was not mixing right. So I thought I was all set but when I left I still had the problem so I went back they did more tests and now they are telling me that the system is supposed to do that and that the Tech manual which I have no copy of says if the temparature is lower than 60 degrees the system will always stay warm. I am trying to find out where this information can be found if it is true or not? Anyone know ?

Dino

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the exact same issue! I would love an answer as well. I find it hard to believe that the repairmen were correct about it automatically being "hot" if the outside temp is below 60....I mean, even if I turn the fan down to the lowest setting I still cook like crazy! Would love a fix or some insight....

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I have a 2003 Ody EX-L and it does NOT behave that way at all and I live in the mountains of Colorado.
If it is hot in the car (say 75), I can turn the temp down to 70 and the car will start cooling down right away,automatically, even when the outside temp is 10 F or lower until the inside temp reaches the selected temp.
For a temporary relief from the high heat, turn it to Inside Air and then you can control the air flow with just the fan.

When it is in the normal position, outside air will cause more air flow at higher vehicle speeds.

Hopefully someone will have the correct answer for you.

Buffalo4
PS: dinoody, how much did they charge you and what did they replace? Did you get a refund?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no refund yet still fighting

So I have not gotten a correct answer from anyone at Honda. What did they charge me so for the leak which I knew about just $125 which was not bad but for the heat unit itself it came to $750 they replaced the whole heating unit I can tell because my bulb was out behind the heating temp area and now it works. So when they said they replaced it they did. The problem is it did not solve the problem. I am going to see them this week as I was away the past week. And the first techinician was on vacation so they gave me another who said the manual says that it is suppoed to be this way!!!! Which to me sounds like a bunch of bull if you anyone has any insight let me know but I am thinking in Colorado when it is cold man it is cold. I am the original owner and I am telling you this is a bunch of bull that it has always been this way. Now if they tell me that it is like this with this new heater I just want to original replaced then....seems logical right....Glad to know I am not going crazy and others have seen this behavior as well.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Same issue here. I have to drop it down to 60 for the AC to kick in. The heater kicks in anything higher than that. Tried to run diagnostics but couldn't get it to work so I couldn't tell if any of the sensors was out. Also checked the transistor assembly and that seems to be working fine. Freon checks out. I've got a '02 EXL w/ navi. Appreciate any input/solution since it's the wifes' daily driver.

·
Registered
24 Posts
maybe a solution

I am having the same problem with my 04.

What I did was turn off the AC. When the 'AC off' is displayed on the screen it seems to cool off and pull air from outside.

However, the windows seem to fog up faster with the AC off, but it is cooler.

-Dash

·
Registered
73 Posts
Re: no refund yet still fighting

dinoody said:
The problem is it did not solve the problem. I am going to see them this week as I was away the past week. And the first techinician was on vacation so they gave me another who said the manual says that it is suppoed to be this way!!!! Which to me sounds like a bunch of bull if you anyone has any insight let me know but I am thinking in Colorado when it is cold man it is cold. I am the original owner and I am telling you this is a bunch of bull that it has always been this way. Now if they tell me that it is like this with this new heater I just want to original replaced then....seems logical right....Glad to know I am not going crazy and others have seen this behavior as well. [/B]
I have the same problem with my 2004 Odyssey. Cool air when ECU is set to 60 and warm air when set to 61 or higher. And this is with A/C Off.

So are you saying the dealer replaced the entire ECU and you are still having this issue?

Any solution yet?

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
When the selected temp is set to 60 or the max, the system bypasses the thermostatic control and goes to ALL cool (as cold as the a/c can make it) or to ALL heat (as hot as your vehicle heater can make it, with no thermostatic control of the temp).
Sounds like the dealer should be able to pinpoint it.

The a/c thermostat is supposed to regulate the temp but it seems that either it is faulty, or whatever it controls is not working properly.

Sorry, but I am not familiar with the circuitry and just thought I would try to add a little logic to it.

Buffalo4

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thats why I bought an LX. Not of the auto temp stuff. My Dad had Caddy and that auto control systems ususally failed.
You may be able to convert to the manual temp control.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts