Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, recently our Ody 2011 EXL was having issues for the first time that I see many have struggled with. I've read a lot here in the forums and ordered a VCM Tuner II. Should be arriving any day.

A month or so ago, we felt a misfiring cylinder and the engine light come on. It went away and then came back last week. Took it to my mechanic, who I trust from years of good advice and service. He explained Honda has had issues (similar to things I've since read on these forums).. and he stated we might end up needing the engine replaced. For now, he replaced the ignition coil in the cylinder that had the issue suggested we drive it and see if its solved.

So I went online here in the forums and read up what might be the issue and could I avoid engine failure. I'd like to get to at least 200K

So I plan to install the VCM Tuner II myself. Van is well maintained and I've done all the normal maintenance requirements over time. What else should I consider after the install?

My list so far:
1. replace plugs, NGK was mentioned
2. replace O2 sensors, NTK was mentioned
3. Valve cover gasket replacement, and consider a valve adjustment (I need to check if/when last done)

4. Sell the Van and move on. I don't desire this, but from an economics, if it is to die in the next 40K miles, that would be my choice and not go further with it.

Thanks to all the information shared on this site!

Paul

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,978 Posts
Good decisions. 1 on your list makes sense, but 2 and 3 don't seem necessary if you're not having any issues with those.

Install the VCMTuner II, replace the plugs with NGK plugs, and move on. You'll be just fine, especially since you're catching your problem relatively early.

What's your mileage?

Reactions: geotek

·
Registered
541 Posts
160k, you did the timing belt/water pump update at 105k; correct?

Muzzle installed, new plugs, and run Techron or the like through a few tanks and be prepared to do an early oil change. At 160k there could be quite a bit of GUNK on the tops of the pistons, if your trusted mechanic has a scope it might be worth taking a peek in there to see as you might need to do a "piston soak" to really break up all the crude.

And transmission fluid swaps/updates too don't forget!

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent. timing/belt water pump done miles ago. Will follow your advice. Will doubly check transmission fluid has been addressed too, I'm not sure on that status.

·
Registered
2012 EXL. 2013 Touring
407 Posts
So, recently our Ody 2011 EXL was having issues for the first time that I see many have struggled with. I've read a lot here in the forums and ordered a VCM Tuner II. Should be arriving any day.

A month or so ago, we felt a misfiring cylinder and the engine light come on. It went away and then came back last week. Took it to my mechanic, who I trust from years of good advice and service. He explained Honda has had issues (similar to things I've since read on these forums).. and he stated we might end up needing the engine replaced. For now, he replaced the ignition coil in the cylinder that had the issue suggested we drive it and see if its solved.

So I went online here in the forums and read up what might be the issue and could I avoid engine failure. I'd like to get to at least 200K

So I plan to install the VCM Tuner II myself. Van is well maintained and I've done all the normal maintenance requirements over time. What else should I consider after the install?

My list so far:
1. replace plugs, NGK was mentioned
2. replace O2 sensors, NTK was mentioned
3. Valve cover gasket replacement, and consider a valve adjustment (I need to check if/when last done)

4. Sell the Van and move on. I don't desire this, but from an economics, if it is to die in the next 40K miles, that would be my choice and not go further with it.

Thanks to all the information shared on this site!

Paul
The VCM system has caused a vacuum to draw excessive oil past the rings. Then the vacuum also causes the cylinders to run hotter because there is not any cooling air or fuel passing thru the cylinders. This causes upper cylinder excessive wear. When the engine is newer it can burn off any extra oil when the cylinder goes back to normal, but as the engine gets worn more oil than it can burn off collects and misfires occur.
The engine is an aluminum block with cast iron sleeves and cast iron rings. The cylinders get glazed, carbonized, or whatever fancy word the dealer wants to use. The dealer recommends new rings as a fix, why? $3,000.
The rings are spring loaded by their design, so as Paul says just use the VCM Tuner II to turn of VCM and all new plugs, drive it and the cast iron rings will refinish the cast iron cylinders and your car will run just fine for another 40K miles.
Your mechanic was good to suggest changing the coil pack because you can only really test is by substitution, but it may not have been bad. You need a OBDII diagnostic tool, I have an Auto Enginuity, others on here have their favorites. I chose this one because it is just software that runs on any laptop or tablet. or phone. Then you don’t have to buy new hardware when the buttons wear out, and software upgrades are free.
You connect it to your car and can read whether your O2 sensors are bad or not. Then check your MAF sensor (mass air flow) for a reading of about .88, if that is ok you don’t need a valve adjustment. The tool with advanced capabilities cost approximately $500, if you don’t need those repairs you save more than that cost.
You sounded like you had a pretty nice car, so I thought I would give you some information to help you believe it might just fix itself with the right help.
The other thing you might check is the spool valve for an oil leak. This can cause alternator failure. There are threads on here to explain that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@geotek Thanks - more information to consider which is exactly what I was looking for. I've been putting off getting a diagnostic tool, this just might cause me to hit the buy button on one. I like the idea of a software based solution too. Again, hats off to all those that share their knowledge here.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,100 Posts
Why this? If you have an oil leak on the front passenger side corner of the engine, it is the "spool valve" gasket that leaks most often. More expensive for parts, but much easier for labor.

As for the valve adjustment, you are getting on to the mileage where it should be checked, which would mean new valve cover gaskets anyway... but that isn't necessarily a 'right away' kind of thing.

-Charlie

Reactions: geotek
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.