Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends, I would appreciate if you could share your expertise:
*Ody 99, 110K mile, hesitation on start up, often need >5 second cranking. Easier start if I pressed the throttle slightly. After start, no problem at all, engine run smoothly. As usual, right after start, surge to 1500 RPM for a few second, then settle down to 1000 RPM (cold) and 700 RPM (hot engine). Drive normally, no lost of power. OBDII scan: no error code.
*I guessed, the IAC was stuck-closed (maybe partially) during cranking, so there was not enough air bypassing the closed throttle plate, to start the engine. Afterward, the iAC would work normally to adjust the idle speed.
*Removed IAC, very little carbon deposit. Detached its stepper motor, the rotary valve didn't spin really freely. Cleaned it (Sea Foam), it did spin freely. Cleaned the throttle body
*Put it back, still same problem.
*Ordered Genuine IAC: 16022-P8A-A03, and waiting.
*I have used Fuel Injector Cleaner for the last four gas fill-up.
*At 95K mile: EGR port was cleaned, new genuine Spark Plugs and air filter.
What else could be the culprit? EGR valve?

Kindly waiting for all of your experience. Thank you.

kudus

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Wait to see the result of the new IACV. The 1999 Odyssey also had a recall for the ignition switch.

·
Registered
355 Posts
How old is your battery?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Battery

Hi, My battery is about 3 yr old.
The starter always cranks fast as usual.
Thanks for your response

·
Registered
9,318 Posts
Check the fuel injectors for correct fuel delivery on startup.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Idle hunting

Hi,
Additional info:
*Before cleaning IACV, two occasions,the idle hunting between 1500 - 2500 RPM, only short ( 2 - 3 minutes). Then, idle normal again.
*Removed the right front wheel, engine normal operating temperature, 700 RPM smooth. Wiggled (to all directions) the power-steering pressure-sensor connector cables and I didn't notice any change/ effect on idle speed. (BTW, my wife was staring at the tachometer). Removed the connector, it was clean, no corrosion. Applied dielectric-grease on the PS sensor and connector.
*Since cleaning IACV: 1. The intermittent long-cranking problem: same. 2. So far, no idle hunting again.

I didn't check the fuel injection pressure (at start) since I dont have the fuel pressure gauge. Besides, the presence of hunting idle makes IACV a possible culprit. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Once I get and install the new IACV, I ll update the forum .

What is your opinion friends, have I done the right things / steps, or please any suggestion. Thx u.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not working

Hi friends,
Installed the new genuine IAC valve, still same problem. Most of the time, start OK, sometime, need to crank longer 5-8 seconds. Idle is perfect. Driving is normal.
Doesn't really work. Giving up.

Just got P1491, insufficient EGR valve lift. Don't notice any hesitation on driving. Since EGR port cleaning was 2 yrs ago, and 22K miles drive, I assumed the EGR port was still OK. Removed EGR valve.
Following this link:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/attac...-changed-per-tsb-1-2-dtc-codes-back-p0401.jpg

I tested: When terminal 4 connected to +, and 6 to -, the valve opened wide. I understand this is very crude testing, I only have simple OBDII scanner. Carb cleaner, new gasket.

After driving 20 miles, got P1491, and bonus P0401. Removed the intake manifold, the EGR port is not clogged, only slightly narrowing, cleaned it with 8mm drill.

If the P1491 &/or P0401 come back, I consider replacing the EGR valve.

Am I on the right track?

Can a bad EGR valve cause start hesitation???

Any opinion would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Regards

·
Registered
9,318 Posts
***snip*** Can a bad EGR valve cause start hesitation???
Not normally. A bad EGR valve usually causes light load stumbling by letting in too much exhaust gas and so leaning out the fuel mixture. The fuel mixture during cranking is rich anyway and not likely affected much by an EGR valve.

Have someone watch the exhaust while you start the engine. Watch for a black exhaust puff that indicates too much fuel during startup. Also, stop cranking after 4 seconds before the engine starts and pull each spark plug. Look for raw fuel soaking the tip.

Your getting a faster start by pressing the gas indicates too much fuel during startup i.e. flooding.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
EGR now OK

Hi,
After EGR port cleaning, drove 150 miles, glad didn't get DTC. I think the P1491 and P0401 had been caused by EGR port partially clogged. Solved (hopefully??)

Still having problem, sometime, with starting, need 4-5 seconds cranking, then running perfectly normal. IAC rotary valve has been replaced

Following Dave suggestion, after cranking about 4 minutes and the engine didn't start, I removed the spark plugs. All six are "normal", dry, no oil, no gasoline, light grey/ brown, not worn out, gap were correct ( 0.040"). These spark plugs are NGK PZFR5F11, 30K miles old.

What do you think if I tried more fuel injector cleaner. So far, I have used 2 bottles. What is the best brand?

Thanks, waiting for your expertise

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got P1491 again

Hi,
Updating:
250 miles after cleaning the EGR port, unfortunately, got another P1491 (this time, without P0401).
I am ordering a genuine EGR valve today. After installing this new EGR valve,
I would give up if I got another P1491 or P0401.
Once again, mileage 115K miles, still on factory EGR valve.
Any suggestion would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Following Dave suggestion, after cranking about 4 minutes and the engine didn't start, I removed the spark plugs. All six are "normal", dry, no oil, no gasoline, light grey/ brown, not worn out, gap were correct ( 0.040"). These spark plugs are NGK PZFR5F11, 30K miles old.

What do you think if I tried more fuel injector cleaner. So far, I have used 2 bottles. What is the best brand?
If you cranked it for 4 mins with no engine start and no fuel on the plugs then cleaning the injectors again is not going to fix anything. This problem may be unrelated to the DTC's you are getting. I suggest you watch the immobilizer light (green key) when it starts properly so you can compare it to when it doesn't. Issue could be the key going bad, ignition switch, fuel pump relay etc. Search under no or won't start and you'll see a bunch of posts on this issue. Post back what you find.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Start problem is fixed

Dear members,
Replaced the factory installed EGR valve 4 weeks ago
So far, no DTC and the engine start easily / immediately.

Sorry for posting the follow up so late
Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts