Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone 1st time poster. This is a wonderful forum you have here, I think there might be a new Odyssey in my future so looking forward to spending more time on the forum.

Little bit about my history with mini vans:
89 Dodge caravan - total engine and tranny rebuild at 72000 miles, quirky contraption that one
99 Pontiac Transport - has been really good to me, great gas mileage

I run a carpet cleaning / restoration business and find the minivan to be a good fit for the operation. The option of removing seats to increase the cargo hauling capacity is real handy. Does any one else use their new Odyssey for business?

Was looking at the Dodges, they are offering $8000 off the sticker price right now. The saying "[FONT=&quot] The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten" comes to mind.

Any how I think I am just looking for some backup on a decision to purchase a good quality van. ;)

[/FONT]

·
Registered
67 Posts
It seems like the Odyssey is a bit overkill for a straight work truck. Unless maybe if you stick with the LX trim?

I do see a lot of those Ford Transit Connect's running around as delivery vehicles. Also Nissan is coming out with their NV van, but that thing looks huggeee.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Here is my opinion. I think the ody is a good deal for the gadgets and the passenger comfort.
Also behind the 2nd row with the 3rd row folded the floor isn't completely flat and leveled. Also I find the amount of tie downs and anchors is really low/lacking in the van.
The plastics in the trunk and pan sls are really easy to scratch as well.

I'm not sure what the budget is, but if you want something that is comfortable and roomy this should definitly work.
I know there is someone here that bought a touring elite removed the 2nd and 3rd row and made it a kennel. I thought it was pretty awesome, they the wide screen res did go slightly to waste there :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use my van more for hauling things than people. I buy a lot of collectible furniture which I either keep or resell. I rarely have the rear seat up and most of time my middle row seats are out so I have a large cargo area. I currently have a Mazda MPV and am planning to get a new Odyssey in a few months. I looked at the Chrysler Town and Country and the fold down middle row seats would be very useful for me. However, I still plan to get an Odyssey even though I will have to install and remove the middle row seats many times. I believe the Town and Country seats are less comfortable but my middle row seats are not used a lot anyway. More than anything, it just irritates me to buy a vehicle that was built by over-priced labor union terrorists when I can get one built by people who voluntarily sell their services for what they can get on the free market. I question whether American Honda employees have the work ethic that Japanese Honda employees have but that is the choice we seem to have today. I don't care for the Toyota Sienna nor any other vans so the Odyssey is what I plan to get.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I think the EX trim gives you a good balance between amenities and practicality. As per quality vs. i.e. a Chrysler, I drove a 2011 as a rental (long haul) and I was surprised how far the have come, especially compared to the 2010 I rented the week before. Odyssey quality (4th generation), it is not really up-up there as Honda claims it to be (see i.e. consumer reports) so read some posts around the forums and make your own judgment.

Here is my Chrysler T&C informal review:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/12-mi...0-2011-chrysler-t-c-vans-long-test-drive.html

And if you go for an Odyssey (or any van for that matter), get one of these:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-2011-odyssey/149794-cargo-liner.html

·
Registered
884 Posts
Just took delivery of my fourth here in Newfoundland. Some quality issues to be sure but I still think they're far ahead of the competition. Does seem like overkill unless you're using it for hauling family in between. See you got 72000 out of an 90 Caravan before a transmission. Must be a record. We had two at our office in that period. Got 35000 out of one and 55000 out of the second with the second transmission gone on the first when we traded it. Can't recall how much they gave us a pound for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I looked at the Transit Connect, the size of them is just right for a wide variety of work. Found a forum and there seems to be a lot of complaining going on. Same with the Dodge Grand Caravan, 2011 seemed to have a lot of tranny problems.

Think I am sold on the Odyssey, reviewing my finances, the purchase probably won't happen until next fall.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I too had an '89 Grand Voyager that I used for "work" (hauling tools and music equipment), and a 2000 Grand Voyager that I still use for the same thing. The '11 Odyssey is a quantum leap forward from the '00 (as the '00 was compared to the '89) in amenities, comfort and general sophistication. If I were to use mine as a work vehicle, I'd cut out a sheet of plywood to fit in the back; the folded-down rear seats won't hold up well if you are throwing heavy tools etc. into the back cargo area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts