Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang - I noticed something on Monday while driving our RRP Navi baby - the sun was warm, and I felt the typical, "You are burning feeling." I tend to burn very easily. My glasses are sun sensor, and change according to the amount of UV light that hits them. Most car glass blocks that light and they don't change. On our honeymoon, the bus in Europe did not have that glass and the lenses did change. Well, lo and behold, my left lens did change during the drive - and I had a sunburn when I got home - anyone else experience this?
Gary

·
Registered
596 Posts
Ya know, when lumped with other short-commings by Honda, that doesn't surprise me a bit. I love my van, but they have cut corners to save $$$$$ at every possible point. Who builds a $30000.00 car without a glove box light these days???? Or without a half-assed accurate fuel gusge, or heated mirrors, or interior lights at floor level? It does come standard with a health helping of wind noise and a free gas tank thump, though.
At least they are consistant.
I am having the front side windows tinted with UV shielded tint.

Fred

·
Registered
23 Posts
How do you get your windows tinted for UV? Is this something the dealer can do or do you have to find somewhere that will specifically do that? Just curious - it sounds like a great thing to do!

·
Registered
86 Posts
You can get UV film with no various levels of tint, all of the way down to clear. However, I will not be getting any film on our van’s windows because of the abuse caused by the kids.

·
Registered
38 Posts
honda.com states that the EX model come with Heat-Rejecting Glass - no mention of UV however it's possible the Heat-Rejecting Glass is also UV coated. Also, it appears the LX does not come with Heat-Rejecting Glass.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My money says it allows U.V. - then again, I've been wrong before!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2001aRoadOdyssey:
honda.com states that the EX model come with Heat-Rejecting Glass - no mention of UV however it's possible the Heat-Rejecting Glass is also UV coated. Also, it appears the LX does not come with Heat-Rejecting Glass.</font>

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think any glass will reject UV. When I bought my new house four years ago, the construction manager, who managed the construction of my house, told me the window glass would reject UV. I think he is right. Otherwise, the sofa cloth can not be as good as new. Also, I had a 11-year old Toyota Corolla (replaced by Ody), and the dishboard looked like new under 11-year Texas sunlight.

[This message has been edited by Longhorn (edited 03-04-2002).]

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I'll second that. I understand that even common household window glass blocks 2/3rds of the UV trying to pass.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here is a quote from www.ppg.com (which is the Ody windshield manufacturer):

"UV protection

The two glass plies and the plastic layer laminated between them absorb ultraviolet (UV) energy from the sun that causes interior fabrics and other materials to fade and crack. Safe and Sound automotive glass windows block about 80% of this UV energy."

[This message has been edited by Longhorn (edited 03-05-2002).]

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BobN:
I thought infra-red also contributed to skin burn? Maybe IR is still getting through?</font>
I don't think we need to be concerned with IR.

Infra-red lamps are used to heat large commercial facilities, such as warehouses. IR heat lamps are used in homes, too, such as in bathrooms. The danger from such lamps is only from the heat generated if you are too close or actually touch the bulbs.

The SPF rating of sunblock creams is for UV only, it has nothing to do with IR.

The US National Weather Service reports the <a href="http://www.epa.gov/sunwise/uvwhat.html">UV index</a> for 60 US cities - nothing about IR in the reports.

------------------
Regards,

Maugham
_ _ _ ________________ _ _ _

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EX-L (RP for Redrock Pearl) ;)
'85 Prelude
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green grass stains and '01 White Laces
Rockport MW351 Brown Boots (for winter) and '00 Brown Laces

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nice job - that helps explain it - while the glass is blocking 80% of the uv, the 20% getting through is enough to tint my glasses. i should say they do not tint nearly as darkly as they do outside versus inside the ody - but that 20% stinks - i should mention i've tried my glasses trick with the windshield and two front windows, i have not tried with the dark tinted rear windows on the EX-L Navi
thanks!
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Longhorn:
Here is a quote from www.ppg.com (which is the Ody windshield manufacturer):

"UV protection

The two glass plies and the plastic layer laminated between them absorb ultraviolet (UV) energy from the sun that causes interior fabrics and other materials to fade and crack. Safe and Sound automotive glass windows block about 80% of this UV energy."

[This message has been edited by Longhorn (edited 03-05-2002).]
</font>

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rear glass safe for infants

Here's my question. Is the stock glass/tinting on my 2002 EX adequate for protecting by twin 1-year-olds on long trips, or do I need additional tinting - sunscreen - window covers, etc. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I think it would be fine. Note that they may still want shades. We don't use them.

Look for the tan lines after the first trip.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Re: Rear glass safe for infants

twinboys said:
Here's my question. Is the stock glass/tinting on my 2002 EX adequate for protecting by twin 1-year-olds on long trips, or do I need additional tinting - sunscreen - window covers, etc. Any thoughts??
I would use the sunscreen, just to be safe. I have had skin reddening when on long road trips wearing shorts and would hate to expose that great new baby skin to such punishment, since we know better these days.:rolleyes:

Jerry O.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Here in the greater Sacramento valley, it gets really hot like a dry heat which feels like the sun is actually "touching" you and with the Ody's big front windows, you can really feel the sun without anything on them. I have opted to have the front two windows and top of the windshield tinted with a special kind of tint in a light shade that really blocks the heat and UV rays. Most any good tint shop will have this kind of material and it is well worth the money. I believe mine is called Sunguard, but any professional tint shop will have something compareable. Most noticeable will be the difference with the air conditioning on. My left arm used to "burn" and my right arm would "freeze". The back windows (EX) with the stock tint seems to do just fine with my 5 & 2 year olds. All combined, summer's here are no longer a problem. :cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Blackwolf. Sounds like a plan. Any optical issues (distortion, fogging weirdness, cleaning issues, etc) with the windshield treatment?

·
Registered
561 Posts
The windshield tint I had done was just a 8" strip across the top. Due to the windshield curve, it appears wider on the sides than in the middle, so I recommend that you sit inside and have the tint shop person mark the level that is right for you. I'm a little on the tall side and I like the tint level lower so I don't have to use the sunvisors all the time. With the side windows done, I can actually "see" through "foggy" rainy weather better. Like wearing snow sunglasses and not wearing snow sunglasses while skiing. (I love TAH:D E!) I have not had any distortion, fogging, wierdness and with any tint product, you must use a mild soap and water mix to clean the windows with. The tint shop will give you a list or tell you what products not to use. Windex uses ammonia and dish soap has detergents, both of which will break down the tint and cause it to turn pink, "fog up" and bubble from the window. The grocery/department store tint does this all by itself! This is the REASON why it's so cheap. Like my tattoo artist always says, "Cheap isn't better and better isn't cheap." I tend to agree with her. Isn't that the reason why we bought our ODY's?! :yup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts