Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy folks, I tried "real" hard to screw the pooch the other day. I was heading home from an eight day vacation and it was the last day home. I was heading south on Hwy 59 in east Texas coming out of Corrigan, I think. It was very early in the morning and I was the only car in sight at the time. Hwy 59 at this point is a new road, 4 lanes with generous shoulders and a left turn lane in the middle. Down the hill and up the road a bit was a logging truck in the left turn lane. I saw him, knew he was still a fair distance away and honestly didn't think anything about it. I accelerated up to 70 as I was leaving town and punched resume on the speed control and then started fiddling with the radio or something. I noted that the truck had started his left turn and continued on with a healthy case of rectal/cranial inversion. It seems that as he made his turn, the longest of the tree trunks he had on his trailer swung out into my lane. Next thing I knew, I was looking at this thing at just under eye level which for me is dead center of the windshield.
Brakes, at this point would have been completely futile. My only recourse, and this was totally reflexive, was a hard evasive turn to the right. Fortunately, there was no one else around to get in the way. I'm not sure exactly how close I came to hitting this thing but it looked like it was easily within a couple of feet of the windshield pillar. At 70 mph, it's hard to tell.

Anyway, I can't tell you how pleased I am with the Odyssey's behavior in this maneuver.
The van simply took a "set" and swerved with no unexpected reactions. The tires squalled in protest but otherwise held their own and the cargo I had on the rear floor shifted a bit but behaved itself. I would have never had the nerve to try this radical a maneuver in a minivan on purpose but the Odyssey aquitted itself very well and afterwards, the driver was "fully" awake for the remainder of the trip!

One think I believe. If I'd hit that pole at the level it was at, I don't think I'd be around any more. It's certainly the closest call I've had in a car in my driving career. I truly hope that I, or any of you for that matter, never have to do anything like this again but it's sure nice to know the Ody's up to the task if need be.

I thought some of you folks might find the story interesting and I think it helps to talk about such things sometimes. It was sure a learning experience for me!

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

[This message has been edited by Intrepid175 (edited 09-23-2001).]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Good to know that the Ody reacted so well for you... Kind of a good feeling to know, but I hope I never have to try it. I've had to brake really hard and accelerate pretty fast, but that covers my close calls-which in regards to yours, weren't really close at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow! What an exciting, although frightening story. Sure glad you are okay. Nice to hear the ody performed so well. Take care and be safe.

·
Registered
120 Posts
On the avoidance maneuver

We were on that road a few months ago; thankfully no logging trucks in sight. Curious - what brand and model of tires are on your Ody? We've got Coopers (came with our 99 when we bought it used) and I would not trust those tires to hold up under a sharp high-speed maneuver. Two of them already have the beginnings of internal tread separation - I have to get all of them replaced.

Michael R

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: On the avoidance maneuver

Michael Russo said:
We were on that road a few months ago; thankfully no logging trucks in sight. Curious - what brand and model of tires are on your Ody? We've got Coopers (came with our 99 when we bought it used) and I would not trust those tires to hold up under a sharp high-speed maneuver. Two of them already have the beginnings of internal tread separation - I have to get all of them replaced.

Michael R
Hi Mike,

Sorry for the long response time. I changed ISP's last summer and forgot to update my email address here and happened to stumble on this conversation.

Anyway, at that time, I was still running the OEM Firestone tires. I've since replaced them with Michelins.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.

·
Registered
120 Posts
No worries about the long reply - I just know that the Coopers I had on the van would not have held up under such a maneuver. A moot point now - about three weeks ago, I put Michelin Hydroedges on it, the 235-60 size. Handling is a night and day difference from the 215-65 Coopers I had.
I saw an 05 Ody last week - they're putting 235-65s on those things. I'd rather have my 99!
Stay safe -
Michael

1 - 7 of 7 Posts